Your most disappointing unit in the game

Mattrulesok

I cannot speak with the same level of experience or confidence as many other folks in this thread. However, my vote is for Chaos Knights as I still remember their glory from fantasy and can barely recognize what they have become. I will always run them though as my friends that played back in Fantasy treat them with a degree of respect that they do not really deserve in AOS.

6 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

This, I get the idea of what the thundertusk is meant to do with buffing the yeti (another unit I really want to use because of lore but the models are a bit naff) but they feel so underwhelming. 

I hope Maneaters get a big fix too because the have always been an awesome concept with some of the coolest models and conversion ideas.

Exactly. 
As a combat monster you always want to pay the extra (now) 50pts for the stonehorn. 
As a support hero, 350 points is a lot for a prayer every other turn. 

the yhetees at least have a function  they are glass cannons that break the combat order. Amazing against armies that rely on the activation wars  

for me I just change it to the horde killer monster. It’s horn attack gets 1 attack per model in X”. ‘As the thundertusk swings it’s head around scores of enemies fly through the air as it smashes through packed ranks with its horns’ 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Enoby said:

Chaos Knights for me (though I totally agree on blood stalkers too). They look like hulking knights ready to plow down anyone foolish enough to stand in their way, their lances are larger than most people and their shields are towers of metal thick enough to withstand a blow from almost any foe. They represent some of the most elite forces of Chaos - warriors who have proven themselves above the others and are one step closer to immortality, their bodies wracked with mutations and gifts that sit them above the power of any mere mortal. 

And how best to represent this unstoppable wall of metal and mutation? Apparently by giving their lance 2 attacks at 4/3/-/1.

Their lances do get better if they charge (2/4/3/-2/2), but as they're quite slow and have very few attacks, what happens 90% of the time is they charge in, fail to do the job fully as they miss a good chunk of attacks without an external buff, and then have a pillow fight for the rest of the battle - or more likely, get charged first and have a pillow fight for the full battle. Compare this to a large unit of marauders (20 models - their base size), who get 2 attacks each at  3/4/-1/1. You've got to wonder why so many people want to advance down the eight fold path.

With ensorcelled weapons they have 3+, 3+, -1, 1 dmg with 3 attacks!

I would like lrl sentinels to have two attacks in their short range profile. Or at least when there ain't enemies within 3'.

Otherwise in CoS, I would like the wild riders to get boosted, and the artillery seems bad compared to the stormcast ballista. The black ark corsairs seems weak compared to twwh2.

Edited by Howdyhedberg

17 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Blood Stalkers, the bow unit for DOK

even down to 120pts, you get a 1 shot weapon that does 1 damage at rend 1. A 6 to hit is a MW that finishes that attack

the 24 inch range is great as they move 8, and 2W each is useful. Hit/wound are both on a 3 so its ok, but only 1 shot each is the killer. 120pts in a DOK army is 10 Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter

I don't quite know, but if there is a way to boost their to hit by +1 or even +2... Then taking one unit of 10-15 models could be quite decent with half of their attacks dealing mortal wounds. That 6+ is still "modifieble", yes.

Prosecutors are a good shout-out. Awesome models, but hit like wet noodles. I remember running my Knight Azyros into a squad (Big Guy, giant 2 handed sword), only to realize he hits less hard than 2 greatswords. Super disappointing. At least he has buff potential though.

The treelord ancient also deserves a mention.

Giant Awesome model, originally 300 points, with an average damage output of ~4 wounds per combat phase. Painful. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

If it helps I recently discovered, only after I made the charge, that decimators are great vs KO. Every garrisoned models counts as in range if the boat is in range... 11 attacks vs a full frigate... per decimator. 
21 if it’s a full ironclad. 😅

I’m bringing squads of 10 soon! #revengeofthepaladins

ooooo

I like this A LOT

Now just to work out a way to get Decimators into combat with the Ironclads...(beyond the charge buff guy)

4 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

I don't quite know, but if there is a way to boost their to hit by +1 or even +2... Then taking one unit of 10-15 models could be quite decent with half of their attacks dealing mortal wounds. That 6+ is still "modifieble", yes.

It is still a 6+ to hit, but theres no buffs to hit in daughters. Best you can do is ally in a knight azyros for +1 to hit. 15 with an arrow buff does an average of 5 mortals and causes 4 or 5 wounds at -1 rend. And thats for 460 points. 20 more points and you get 20 melee snakes or morathi. I really dont think theres any saving the bow snakes in their current state.

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

ooooo

I like this A LOT

Now just to work out a way to get Decimators into combat with the Ironclads...(beyond the charge buff guy)

You can cast speed of lightning and oray teleportation for almost a 50/50 chance to make that 9" charge.

Considering disappointing units, it's every single stormcast hero in a fight, Lord Celestant moreso than any other. Not a single one is a capable duellist, most are not tanky and all of them are (at least mildly) expensive. Considering their lore of single handedly slaying greater demons and such, it's just silly.

Edited by Lucur
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carnelian said:

ooooo

I like this A LOT

Well we have one opti..... oh that's the charge buff guy ;) 

Other options are, Heraldor run and charge? Getting them at 9" isn't that hard, but the only way I know of buffing charge distance is the Gabriel Sureheart ability. But on Stormcast I'm not the best source. So I'm probably missing something. 

On a sidenote, when I mentioned this on Facebook someone pointed out that the gyrocopter rule then should also work. Although it's then all on the unit inside. 

Glaivewraith Stalkers. Love the eire horseghost thingy and their rusty blades, but not one time have it made any kind of sense to add even just one. 
these days all of Nighthaunt sucks badly, but man I hope they redo  Stalkers if rumours/wishes are true and a 2nd Tome is coming for the Nighthaunts.

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Like 3

I agree with a lot of the models mentioned here, particularly the maggoth lords and the chaos knights/warriors, but I think I'm most disappointed by any of the bloodletter based models other than the skulltaker. In particular I'm really truly disappointed in the heralds of khorne. These are supposed to be the heralds of the blood god, the master of warfare and martial talent, and the most powerful of the chaos gods. What do we get for that? One of the worst combat statlines for a hero in the whole game, no command ability, and a highly circumstantial and short ranged ability. A poxbringer (Herald of Nurgle) significantly outfights them, is massively more resilient, heals itself, and is a wizard to boot with a half decent built in spell. There are so many interesting things they could have done, but instead it's been the least useful model in the khorne book for all of AoS. They even resculpted it with the last book but for some reason they had no interest in making it usable. 

• Like 2

Disappointed? Heck yeah, with any hero hitting and/or wounding on 4s with melee. That's you Aspiring Deathbringer, and you Darkoath Chieftan, to say just 2. Any hero who hits and/or wounds worse than their own battleline deserves to be belittled.

Can't agree with Chaos Warriors or Chaos Knights though. Both units hit and wound on 3s without buffs. Warriors are as cheap as liberators but with smaller bases, and then there's that mortal wound save. Knights get that, and mobility and the bravery modifier to enemy units.  Sure, not as imposing as WFB equivalents, but still pretty useful and better than many AoS battleline units point for point.

Edited by Mcthew

1 hour ago, Mcthew said:

Knights get that, and mobility and the bravery modifier to enemy units.  Sure, not as imposing as WFB equivalents, but still pretty useful and better than many AoS battleline units point for point.

Superficially rated you are right. Yet knights don‘t kill anything, have too large bases and they‘re still somewhat expensive and squishy for what they do (why no 3+ save?) They should maybe get 2“ range on their swords and 3“ range on their lances, that might fix them somewhat. (Realistically you usually won‘t get more than 3 to attack)

If Chaos Warriors would get their reroll of saves if they had more than 5 models, they‘d be great. Plus Sadly they‘re really slow ^^

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

I'm going to interpret "disappointing" as "farthest away from what I think they should be" and not "worst" or even "worst points value" or anything like that.

Chaos Warriors/Knights.

They aren't exactly bad, but they don't behave the way I want them to.  I don't want durable light hitters with rerolls.  I don't want to have to jokingly tell my opponent at the start of the match "I hope you're ready to roll a ton of rend 'dash' saves my friend!".  Even just the addition of Rend -1 to Warriors would go a long way, but mortals on a 6 could also help.

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

I would say the regular Dankhold Troggoth, but it's really a matter of points cost. If they were 140-160 points and/or had a good horde discount, I'd be taking a unit of 3 in a flash; provided they were in the same range as 3 Rockguts or Fellwaters.

Their rules are great in practice, but aren't viable at their current cost.

I just want to rip units in half.

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

Arkanauts.

They went from hardcore butt kickers with a strong shooting component to.... objective sitters and screens. They don't really do anything else now. They're not the objectively worst unit by any measure, but as a KO player, it is a bit of a bummer.

Nah, I disagree. They now play as stubborn pirates. that’s my treasure and I ain’t movin’

The loss of the + vs heroes and monsters is a shame. Especially because the ‘prove your worth’ narrative. 
but before the book they were nothing more than 7 bodies to bring 3 guns. That they were the butt kickers, because they were, was a mistake. This is much better, not every unit can win gold, and the elites should win the gold. And thunderers and ships now do. 

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm going to interpret "disappointing" as "farthest away from what I think they should be" and not "worst" or even "worst points value" or anything like that.

Chaos Warriors/Knights.

They aren't exactly bad, but they don't behave the way I want them to.  I don't want durable light hitters with rerolls.  I don't want to have to jokingly tell my opponent at the start of the match "I hope you're ready to roll a ton of rend 'dash' saves my friend!".  Even just the addition of Rend -1 to Warriors would go a long way, but mortals on a 6 could also help.

I totally agree here - and to add to this, I feel it extends to any units that look much more dangerous than they are. When you see chaos warriors, knights, and lords - alongside the bast majority of Khorne mortal heroes and units - you picture massive warriors towering over mortals, hacking them down like wheat. 

What you get is, if you're lucky, killing one or two models. While I said chaos knights earlier on (and I stick by that), I find chaos lords and "mighty" lords of Khorne feel pitiful in combat. They have their other uses in command abilities, but when their lore talks about how they're murdering machines and you use them in combat, you start to wonder whether chaos lords all follow the philosophy of "fake it 'til you make it".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1