Best God Faction to Play Chaos Warriors?

G-Loc

Hey everyone,

I am new to AoS and am interested in throwing a Chaos Warrior heavy army on the table.

From my understanding I would be better served playing these under one of the 4x Chaos God factions instead of StD.

Which of these chaos factions is the best to play them in to have a Chaos Warrior focus? I like them on foot and on mounts and have no preference in making them extra tanky or killing, but would like to be able to win some games.

I don't mind using non- StD models as well.

Thank you!

They aren’t bad in STD. But the big issue is Marauders are better at basically everything. but besides the Slaanesh Bonus as @Cambot1231 mentioned. Some other things I can think off:

Slaanesh. Great options in general. Strong warscrolls. Some super useful warscrolls such as the epitome. Has a specific mortal spell lore if I remember correctly. A new mortal Slaanesh hero is on its way. As it’s released simultaneously with a new campaign book I’m expecting new Slaanesh rules for mortals in there. But that’s a guess on my part. 
Nurgle: with the nurgle trees you can get run and charge helping with the slow nature of the warriors. Heroes like harbinger of decay, Lord of blights and the glotkin all improve your warriors. 
Tzeentch: less heroes that boost your warriors than nurgle. destiny dice might be nice so you have some guaranteed spell support. cant really see a stand out way to play them in there. 
Khorne: don’t really know enough. But seems like a lot of heroes that buff Khorne mortal units. Also 5 warriors msu style would lead to a lot of summoning points 

but the best thing might just be: get 2x15 warriors and some heroes +knights and play some games at 1K with the different books. Just try it out. 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

They aren’t bad in STD. But the big issue is Marauders are better at basically everything. but besides the Slaanesh Bonus as @Cambot1231 mentioned. Some other things I can think off:

Slaanesh. Great options in general. Strong warscrolls. Some super useful warscrolls such as the epitome. Has a specific mortal spell lore if I remember correctly. A new mortal Slaanesh hero is on its way. As it’s released simultaneously with a new campaign book I’m expecting new Slaanesh rules for mortals in there. But that’s a guess on my part. 
Nurgle: with the nurgle trees you can get run and charge helping with the slow nature of the warriors. Heroes like harbinger of decay, Lord of blights and the glotkin all improve your warriors. 
Tzeentch: less heroes that boost your warriors than nurgle. destiny dice might be nice so you have some guaranteed spell support. cant really see a stand out way to play them in there. 
Khorne: don’t really know enough. But seems like a lot of heroes that buff Khorne mortal units. Also 5 warriors msu style would lead to a lot of summoning points 

but the best thing might just be: get 2x15 warriors and some heroes +knights and play some games at 1K with the different books. Just try it out. 

Pretty much this!

I‘d really like to play my CW as the Raven Host (Tzeentch from Warhammer Online x_X)

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

d really like to play my CW as the Raven Host

Have you read about the 99 feathers? I don't know if its the same, but sounds like it. It's in several of the AoS novels. A whole cabal who turn themselves into ravens and descent on their enemies form above. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Have you read about the 99 feathers? I don't know if its the same, but sounds like it. It's in several of the AoS novels. A whole cabal who turn themselves into ravens and descent on their enemies form above. 

I haven‘t but I‘ll give it a go, Thx! 
The Raven Host is just the big bad that invades the Empire in Warhammer Online (Tzeentch aligned Chaos Warriors) ^^

edit:

image.jpeg.e89b9f15bab23d5ae25279c6d340e21b.jpeg

image.jpeg.8ddf3a0f5670de776349a5b8a647d8d2.jpeg

image.jpeg.1088c59e069c9579d6826b5ca53fc942.jpeg

image.jpeg.560ebd5a291eaa94713d8f1aa11f4efa.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'heavy'. One big unit of warriors and two small units of knights can slot into most armies, but any more than that and you're going to have trouble fitting in the things that are needed to make those units work. Chaos armies generally use a lot of support models and the Warriors are still quite expensive, especially since you want to run warriors at a minimum of 15 models per unit to take advantage of the reroll saves. I would say that taking two units of 15 warriors and two units of 5 knights is probably at the upper limits. Maybe a minimum unit of chosen as well. 

Khorne can pretty much make anything amazing, but generally it can only do it to one or two units at a time and buff ranges can be tricky. They're a really good option but they pay a lot for support and you might have trouble getting enough hitting power in the list if you're spending a lot on the warriors. I've found a unit of 10 knights with lances works well enough in khorne, so that's something to consider.

Slaanesh doesnt actually do a ton for the units but they can make them a touch faster and hit a touch harder. Unfortunately the strength of warriors is usually resilience and they aren't going to be great fighters regardless. They do offer something the army doesn't usually have though, a solid tarpit to hold up units until the keeper of secrets can do its job. 

Nurgle abilities are usually easier to use since they work off auras rather than direct buffs. They can make the units significantly faster and more resilient. The only issue is nurgle already struggles to fit things in the army due to point costs and has a lot of issues doing damage; warriors and knights don't help with that at all. If you go this route I'd say you need at least one unit of maxed out marauders to pick up the slack. The glottkin would be a good idea too if you can fit them. 

Tzeentch... They can offer some improvements but honestly they want to be spending a lot of points on wizards and ranged attacks so they can focus down the enemy army. A unit of warriors would give some good screening for the back line, but if you start taking multiple I think you'll end up too short on points to be effective with the rest of the army. Plus pink horrors are just better at screening anyway.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Loc said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It seems I got a few options.

Are there any specific advantages/disadvantages of running them in a pure StD faction over one of the chaos gods?

Mostly the composition surrounding your core units. As for example the Bloodsecrator doesnt have the SLAVES TO DARKNESS keyword. He does make your KHORNE MORTAL units a lot better. But in a StD army he's an ally. So you're then limited by the ally slot. But that goes both ways. 

It's mostly the (sub)faction rules that make the real difference. I like StD subfaction where your deamon princes can make pieces of terrain line of sight blocking. There is one that allows you to summon Marauders in on every turn, if you meet the condition. Which is fun and thematic. Or even the Varanguard one. But I think the Wrath of the Everchosen has probably the coolest one. Knights of the empty throne it's called. It allows a unit of varanguard to become you general. It's really fun, thematic and quite good as well. 

Rule-wise Tzeentch Chaos Warriors are far from optimal. If you care about pure power-gaming then it wouldn't be the army for you but I guess you know that anyways. Nothing else to say there in that regard unfortunately - that said, good choice, Tzeentch is the best even if the rules don't favor his Mortal minions. 😎 It's a bit unfortunate that the new Warrior sculpts are so so full of cuts and holes and lacking lovely details though, Tzeentch armor would be a bit more sophisticated than that (as in the cool concept art you've posted).