Which old rules are no longer valid? (Malign Portents? Firestorm? Mercenaries?)

Trout

Question

I'm unclear on what rules are considered valid by default in the current game. Some of these rules are old and seem to have been forgotten but they were originally intended to be legal for Matched Play and I can't find anything that says they were removed. So, for example:

1. Can you still take your Grand Alliance Herald from Malign Portents?

2. Can you still choose a Firestorm City allegiance like "Tempest's Eye" or "Greywater Fastness"?

3. Can you still take Mercenaries from the General's Handbook 2019 list?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Trout said:

you aren't pointing to any sort of official rulings.

You're right becaus AFAIK nothing was writen about it.

Except about GW said that you have to use the more recent publication of any rule that could invalidate the re-writen firestorm alligence (now present in CoS), I dont know about anything officially said Malign portent.

For mercenary you have the info in the GhB2020 Designer com' (https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/66ywBB8J1iRGh4t9.pdf )

Q: Can I use rules from older publications in Pitched Battle (2020) games, such as Mercenary Companies from the General’s Handbook 2019?

A: Yes, but only if your opponent agrees or a house rule permits it.

Unfortunatly I dont have better than that to give to you.

I reckon for Firestorm, it was simply in the FaQ (https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_firestorm_errata_en.pdf😞

Page 54-55 – Choosing Your AllegianceThese rules are no longer used. Use the most recent core rules instead.

So still a no a complet no with no exception ;)

Edited by RedMax

10 hours ago, Trout said:

1. Can you still take your Grand Alliance Herald from Malign Portents?

2. Can you still choose a Firestorm City allegiance like "Tempest's Eye" or "Greywater Fastness"?

3. Can you still take Mercenaries from the General's Handbook 2019 list?

Hi,

1. Can you still take your Grand Alliance Herald from Malign Portents? => beside this rules set were writen for AoS v1, I guess they could still work well. Also as adding options for both sides, this should not break balance. That said, I'm not sure this is still really a need. With all army having now BT and associated alligeance ability/spell lore/etc, I'm not sure it will add reall value (but will add extra rules and complexity).

2. Can you still choose a Firestorm City allegiance like "Tempest's Eye" or "Greywater Fastness"? => I Guess NO as some Firestorm alligeance we "re writen" in the Cities of Sigmat BT (e.g. Hammerhal that is far different between BT and Firestorm). Anyway, as far as I remember, Firestorm alligeance were not powerfull so I doubt anybody would really complain if you use them.

3. Can you still take Mercenaries from the General's Handbook 2019 list? => I would guess YES as first it was narative content, and also in SoB it was teased that some of the big boy may be taken as mercenaries (if memory is correct). Also nothing was writen saying that you cannot use them anymore.

long story short, I would say, as usual, ask your opponent. For stuff like Malign portents, he may want to have a look at rules (that he may not own) before, for Firestorm allegiance that were not re-write, sit is like using a compriendium rules, for alligeance that were replaced by CoS, I guess it is more in your interesst to use Cos instead. For mercenaries, jst ask, but I've seen nowhere anything saying this is no more allowed.

6 hours ago, RedMax said:

You're right becaus AFAIK nothing was writen about it.

Except about GW said that you have to use the more recent publication of any rule that could invalidate the re-writen firestorm alligence (now present in CoS), I dont know about anything officially said Malign portent.

For mercenary you have the info in the GhB2020 Designer com' (https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/66ywBB8J1iRGh4t9.pdf )

Q: Can I use rules from older publications in Pitched Battle (2020) games, such as Mercenary Companies from the General’s Handbook 2019?

A: Yes, but only if your opponent agrees or a house rule permits it.

Unfortunatly I dont have better than that to give to you.

I reckon for Firestorm, it was simply in the FaQ (https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_firestorm_errata_en.pdf😞

Page 54-55 – Choosing Your AllegianceThese rules are no longer used. Use the most recent core rules instead.

So still a no a complet no with no exception ;)

I think that fully answers it for those two. The only question left is whether Malign Portents Heralds are still a thing then. The latest Errata for that book still says they are, but that errata hasn't been updated since 2018.

Here's what it says:

The following rule can be used by players who wish to use these models in their armies in open, narrative or matched play games not using the Malign Portents rules.Lord-Ordinators, Darkoath Warqueens, Knights of Shrouds and Fungoid Cave-Shamans can be included in any army that shares their Grand Alliance keyword. They are not treated as part of the player’s army for the purposes of defining its allegiance and what allegiance abilities it qualifies for. Lord-Ordinators, Darkoath Warqueens, Knights of Shrouds and Fungoid Cave-Shamans can be given a command trait or artefact of power if they share the keyword of that army’s allegiance. However, a Lord-Ordinator, Darkoath Warqueen, Knight of Shrouds or Fungoid Cave-Shaman can be chosen as the army’s general even if they do not share the keyword of that army’s allegiance.