Painting beautiful bloodthirsty maniacs

Ggom

Started a new face today. Super fun - there are quite a few face sculpts in the witch elf kit and it's really neat to see how changing just a few things changes the mood of the face! This particular face I like because of the eyebrows being more obvious. Not so confident with freehanding brows on some of the sculpts with less pronounces brows.961236892_PXL_20210216_0432315002.jpg.e2db3f1944e883f6e82b19e7947334c6.jpg

Edited by Ggom

• 1 month later...

My painting has been quite sporadic this past month. Work has been busy, and life has been tumultuous.

I recently picked up a brush again, to work on model #26 in my DoK painted collection, another Sister of Slaughter, this one with some slight conversions for variety. A part of it is like coming home to a space in myself, scraping aside the rust of the daily grind, restarting a conversation with myself. When I paint something new, there is continuous thought, imagination, testing. It is...tiring? Certainly rewarding when it comes together, but it is very much rooted in discovery and experimentation. This is more appealing to me when I am energized outside of my painting - perhaps when I am happy in other spheres and excited to explore when I sit down at my desk at the end of the day.

In contrast, when I get to paint models in repetition (a la a billion witch elf/sisters) it is more meditative. Sometimes this is tedious, but in other moments it is also restorative. I already have a sense for where things will go. There is room to play a little - how much saturation, any new colors, where to place the lights - but it is all within the safety of the familiar. Every time I paint a witch elf, I learn a little more about painting them, try a little differently to see what I like better. For instance, I’ve been experimenting with the reflections in the leather and have been painting it with more white and teal than before. There is pleasure in the incremental improvements.

I have been feeling regret as of late, and loneliness. I grow older and I wonder what I have done with my youth. It is good to paint, even if it is ultimately sisyphean. 

On 3/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, Ggom said:

I have been feeling regret as of late, and loneliness. I grow older and I wonder what I have done with my youth. It is good to paint, even if it is ultimately sisyphean. 

Sad to hear that - but everyone goes through such phases, even very successful people or people who used to be very popular in younger years (and can't claim they "missed out on things"). Nobody does everything right. If you enjoy your little plastic witch aelves, painting them is and hasn't been  no waste of time - I always liken it to meditation; you know, listen to music and just "switch your head off" for a bit. I don't know enough about you but if you're single, the current times can be hard. If you were in a happy relationship, it would be nicer than being alone most of the time.

Or not - depending on your personality, hence why I say it's hard to give advice.  :) Personally I'm happy on my own as well but I'm at that age where I should look into settling down - how old are you if I may ask? And don't forget: you can always change your ways and constantly reinvent yourself and your life (and don't forget that not everything needs to be changed). Keep the things you enjoy around and change what isn't working. That can be simple or big things. Start working out (sports are very important for feeling good actually), going to dance classes or cooking courses, whatever you need to be more social. Frankly, it's hard at the moment but in a few months (when more people got vaccinated) social life will be more normal again... until then you'll have to be strong. Imagine how hard it is for the younger ones, who need social interaction way more!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, El Antiguo Guardián said:

Wow amazing daughters army. Keep on painting!

Thank you!

14 hours ago, MitGas said:

Sad to hear that - but everyone goes through such phases, even very successful people or people who used to be very popular in younger years (and can't claim they "missed out on things"). Nobody does everything right. If you enjoy your little plastic witch aelves, painting them is and hasn't been  no waste of time - I always liken it to meditation; you know, listen to music and just "switch your head off" for a bit. I don't know enough about you but if you're single, the current times can be hard. If you were in a happy relationship, it would be nicer than being alone most of the time.

Or not - depending on your personality, hence why I say it's hard to give advice.  :) Personally I'm happy on my own as well but I'm at that age where I should look into settling down - how old are you if I may ask? And don't forget: you can always change your ways and constantly reinvent yourself and your life (and don't forget that not everything needs to be changed). Keep the things you enjoy around and change what isn't working. That can be simple or big things. Start working out (sports are very important for feeling good actually), going to dance classes or cooking courses, whatever you need to be more social. Frankly, it's hard at the moment but in a few months (when more people got vaccinated) social life will be more normal again... until then you'll have to be strong. Imagine how hard it is for the younger ones, who need social interaction way more!

Thank you MitGas, I appreciate your thoughts. I agree regarding the positive outlook and looking to do the things that bring one joy, especially physically. I am entering my middle years as well, and I really feel my body slowing down in terms of performance. Gotta hang on to what I can, and see if I can squeeze some more juice out of this potato. Yeap, relationship troubles are the worst 😔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ggom said:

Thank you!

Thank you MitGas, I appreciate your thoughts. I agree regarding the positive outlook and looking to do the things that bring one joy, especially physically. I am entering my middle years as well, and I really feel my body slowing down in terms of performance. Gotta hang on to what I can, and see if I can squeeze some more juice out of this potato. Yeap, relationship troubles are the worst 😔

I've never been much of a sports enthusiast when I was younger (prefering to go partying and stuff) but after around 30 I started to notice that sitting in front of a computer for hours on end made my back hurt. I started training - and got fitter at a less ideal age than when I was as a young gun. Neglect shows at a certain age but the good news is that you can turn things around in a couple of months. You probably read about/seen lots of examples on TV. So just try to keep a positive attitude for a bit and  start doing something proactively. Personally I'm really bummed that the gyms are closed since months as I hate doing exercise at home (it's hard to do it when I could do more fun things at home, it's easy when I'm at the gym) but well, I think we're soon back to a more normal state of things.

Hoping you soon get to a spot where you're happier - but think of your most noble birdboy avatar - hope and ambition is all you need! 😎 (And beautiful little aelves like you paint don't hurt either). 👍

• Like 1

Hey @Ggom! I've been following (in the forum lurking format) your blog for a while and really enjoy your style! In fact I just registered to wheigh in on your outlook on things and maybe add something to/underline what @MitGas has said. First off: having a hobby you enjoy is super healthy. If you feel like you are wasting time doing something that is "sisyphean" (I had to look that word up 😅 ), you could always turn your perspective around; if something never ends, you can always improve and grow doing it. I got the impression that you saw causality between your hobby and where your at in life right now, and even though everything is somehow connected, the regret you feel (I'm reading that a bit like "self blame") might be misplaced. I've been in therapy now for a year maybe and one of the things I've learnt from that is to always keep in mind that even though one might know oneself, one might not understand oneself, and the problems we percieve/experience might be caused by something way different. Because of this, the solutions to our percieved problems might be rather different too.

Secondly I agree 100% with MitGas in that you can change things around. I had a devastating, drawn out break up a couple of years ago that completely shattered any self-esteem I had, and I got really depressed because of it. I developed sociophobia and self isolated to an extent even before covid. Blamed myself alot too (which from experience, I can confirm is not the most helpful state of mind 😉). I am happy where I'm going right now though, and I got here because I decided I wanted more from life. I started taking positive steps (therapy, working out), and got positive reinforcement from it, which led me to take additional steps. You don't have to start making big dramatic changes and become a new person over night, you just got to start where you're at, and by just doing positive things for yourself you might be suprised how much easier things get if you stick to it!

Thirdly: Your witch aelves are kick ass! The dagger on the standard bearer is looking like a fusion between crystal and metal to me. super cool! Very impressive painting all around!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Those are the coolest looking Melusai I've ever seen. Please paint more.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I think that’s a good idea, now that I’ve finished the latest witch elf. 

I got some of my $@#-& together and did the undercoats for a bunch of additional miniatures this morning. The cauldron is intimidating so I'm going to paint it as I build it - otherwise it will be tricky to get at the inside bits. I'm thinking of doing alot of gold for this cauldron, for the slaughterqueen to ride on (she's already magnetized for a spot on it.) My other cauldron will probably be more steel and get setup as a medusa throne.

Excited to paint something new! In the front row is model #26 who is still awaiting a varnish coat.

PXL_20210402_161657726.jpg.a63c97391dc36e28a172fa2777d635db.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, Ggom said:

I got some of my $@#-& together and did the undercoats for a bunch of additional miniatures this morning. The cauldron is intimidating so I'm going to paint it as I build it - otherwise it will be tricky to get at the inside bits. I'm thinking of doing alot of gold for this cauldron, for the slaughterqueen to ride on (she's already magnetized for a spot on it.) My other cauldron will probably be more steel and get setup as a medusa throne.

Excited to paint something new! In the front row is model #26 who is still awaiting a varnish coat.

PXL_20210402_161657726.jpg.a63c97391dc36e28a172fa2777d635db.jpg

Those melusai look great and quite scary. Never seen the minis outside of the official GW images but they look really amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Got distracted painting a blood bowl model as a hag for the sisters

279159596_PXL_20210413_0231437682.jpg.e2cd990eb7fab335eceed3d6c67f2fb8.jpg

It's a very nice forgeworld sculpt. It's been fun painting the nmm gold! Still have work to do on the base and clean up the skin which is pretty speckly on close inspection...

PXL_20210413_023417794.jpg.b4512f1abe8251d609c4996d54331d41.jpg

Quite pleased with her pants too 😊

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on the cauldron of blood - I had the foresight to keep parts only partially built, which is good... But damn now I wish I had kept even more of it separate. Damnit, getting the shapes painted on the underbits is tough. 

I am quite enjoying the colors though. I had an idea to do alot of scarlet and gold, and it's coming along the way I hoped. Here's one wheel and the attached strut in progress

1320356107_PXL_20210505_0343235722.jpg.23f6681f9743367071f26c38eebdaa89.jpg

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been some weeks since my last update but and I've been casually chugging along.

The cauldron's bottom section is almost done! I've been doing alot of nmm but haven't been blending too much since alot of this will be partially hidden under the staircase

PXL_20210526_034111416.jpg

There's some teal light that I'm trying to show around the braziers, but I'm not sure that's really working..

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the staircase and 80% of the lower half of the model done. It's been pretty chill, loose colorful painting and getting lots of colors in.

163700504_PXL_20210606_0351383002.jpg.3558cd9546ed752324d2e321bfe6f599.jpg

I think the risk is having too much stuff going on with the metal, so I am planning to dial up brightness and saturation on spots on the avatar and the blood in the actual cauldron to draw the eye and create some structure. Looking forward to airbrushing some scarlet next week!

Edited by Ggom
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 6/6/2021 at 6:01 AM, Ggom said:

Got the staircase and 80% of the lower half of the model done. It's been pretty chill, loose colorful painting and getting lots of colors in.

163700504_PXL_20210606_0351383002.jpg.3558cd9546ed752324d2e321bfe6f599.jpg

I think the risk is having too much stuff going on with the metal, so I am planning to dial up brightness and saturation on spots on the avatar and the blood in the actual cauldron to draw the eye and create some structure. Looking forward to airbrushing some scarlet next week!

You're not making life any easier for yourself with so much NMM but this looks lovely - wheels are really insane! Great job, hang in there, this is gonna be a center- and masterpiece. 

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

You're not making life any easier for yourself with so much NMM but this looks lovely - wheels are really insane! Great job, hang in there, this is gonna be a center- and masterpiece. 

Thanks! I feel like NMM isn’t necessarily what’s taking so long, it’s more that I keep doing other things instead of painting in my free time 🤣. Super procrastination has set in now that I have to paint all the trim on the Avatar..

16 minutes ago, Ggom said:

Thanks! I feel like NMM isn’t necessarily what’s taking so long, it’s more that I keep doing other things instead of painting in my free time 🤣. Super procrastination has set in now that I have to paint all the trim on the Avatar..

Oh, I know that feeling all too well... 🤣.  but it doesn't really matter as long as you finish it. Plus I think it's pretty understandable if hobbyists are currently doing a bit less - after a year of staying indoors, I'm sure most of us are actually happy to be a bit more social.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The attendants are finished!

I'll seal it this weekend when I can bust out the airbrush, but this has been probably my longest and most committed project to date.

PXL_20210702_011423628.jpg.9adda491549d66a4d0ccc3c82c18b667.jpg

I’m ... extremely uninterested in painting the second cauldron lol. It will be silver instead of gold but I’ll probably put it off until I finish the 5 melusai and the stragglers of the blade coven. Even so, I feel like my overall mojo for Daughters is waning. I think its part of the natural ebb and flow of these projects - might be interesting to revisit my small tzeentch collection or something..

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the last month I painted 2 Melusai and my 20th witch elf model! That brings me up to 2 x 10 battle line and 3 Melusai total, in addition to the Cauldron and 5 khinerai. I estimate I can play a 1k game by next adepticon, or even 1.5k depending on where things go.

This last week I made some good progress on another elf, this time from the blade coven. Lovely model, and if they ever get sold as their own sprue I'm tempted to pick up an extra set to convert as unit champions.1577161301_PXL_20210730_0322108382.jpg.64f4cff358c3ed21ac9896a6ce8bf68c.jpg

Completed shot and an early WIP of the blade maiden:

1385263592_PXL_20210804_0320179562.jpg.35b9a046c62c2e8e815536683b8bbe47.jpg

736212778_PXL_20210729_0323210042.jpg.c1751cf1ec7a7f98de4ba780dd86b411.jpg
Some thoughts after spending maybe 5 hours on this model:

I think nmm looks better with environmental colors glazed in. My photo taking ability and lighting is s****t here, but I think adding red and green to the metals makes it look much richer.

I think my approach to gold nmm is going to go back to mixing reddish brown into the shadows again. Purple has been great but I think it’s not enough by itself, looks a bit flat compared to adding additional colors. The same goes for green - adding that makes a noticeable difference.

Re-using the same colors throughout the model makes the whole more harmonious. I think this is what some people mean when the say “pull it all together with a wash.” The reason that works is because the wash changes the hue of the entire model to be more uniform. I think, for a less heavy handed approach, instead of using a wash, just glaze the same environmental colors and re-use colors. 

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

Started the other blade maiden; face and crown done over 2x 30 minute sessions.

Thought for the evening - I don’t have a use for pallid wych flesh color anymore. Flayed one flesh has a smoother consistency, and then I can just mix titanium white to make it lighter. Pallid wych is just a chunky goopy mess, doesn’t go through an airbrush, and isn’t nice to mix on a regular brush either.

I hear alot about ice yellow as a good hilghlight that doesn’t desaturate much. I am curious to see what it looks like now...

Edited by Ggom