Jump to content

Painting beautiful bloodthirsty maniacs


Recommended Posts

Started a new face today. Super fun - there are quite a few face sculpts in the witch elf kit and it's really neat to see how changing just a few things changes the mood of the face! This particular face I like because of the eyebrows being more obvious. Not so confident with freehanding brows on some of the sculpts with less pronounces brows.961236892_PXL_20210216_0432315002.jpg.e2db3f1944e883f6e82b19e7947334c6.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't paint at all this week, but got to sit down for a bit today to add some gold and steel nmm2110089084_PXL_20210221_0442589042.jpg.dcd0c4ed703b9d0045cb9b470e105b47.jpg

Started sketching the leather boot as well, starting to feel the itch to paint some more again

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

My painting has been quite sporadic this past month. Work has been busy, and life has been tumultuous.

I recently picked up a brush again, to work on model #26 in my DoK painted collection, another Sister of Slaughter, this one with some slight conversions for variety. A part of it is like coming home to a space in myself, scraping aside the rust of the daily grind, restarting a conversation with myself. When I paint something new, there is continuous thought, imagination, testing. It is...tiring? Certainly rewarding when it comes together, but it is very much rooted in discovery and experimentation. This is more appealing to me when I am energized outside of my painting - perhaps when I am happy in other spheres and excited to explore when I sit down at my desk at the end of the day.

In contrast, when I get to paint models in repetition (a la a billion witch elf/sisters) it is more meditative. Sometimes this is tedious, but in other moments it is also restorative. I already have a sense for where things will go. There is room to play a little - how much saturation, any new colors, where to place the lights - but it is all within the safety of the familiar. Every time I paint a witch elf, I learn a little more about painting them, try a little differently to see what I like better. For instance, I’ve been experimenting with the reflections in the leather and have been painting it with more white and teal than before. There is pleasure in the incremental improvements.

I have been feeling regret as of late, and loneliness. I grow older and I wonder what I have done with my youth. It is good to paint, even if it is ultimately sisyphean. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, Ggom said:

I have been feeling regret as of late, and loneliness. I grow older and I wonder what I have done with my youth. It is good to paint, even if it is ultimately sisyphean. 

Sad to hear that - but everyone goes through such phases, even very successful people or people who used to be very popular in younger years (and can't claim they "missed out on things"). Nobody does everything right. If you enjoy your little plastic witch aelves, painting them is and hasn't been  no waste of time - I always liken it to meditation; you know, listen to music and just "switch your head off" for a bit. I don't know enough about you but if you're single, the current times can be hard. If you were in a happy relationship, it would be nicer than being alone most of the time.

Or not - depending on your personality, hence why I say it's hard to give advice.  :) Personally I'm happy on my own as well but I'm at that age where I should look into settling down - how old are you if I may ask? And don't forget: you can always change your ways and constantly reinvent yourself and your life (and don't forget that not everything needs to be changed). Keep the things you enjoy around and change what isn't working. That can be simple or big things. Start working out (sports are very important for feeling good actually), going to dance classes or cooking courses, whatever you need to be more social. Frankly, it's hard at the moment but in a few months (when more people got vaccinated) social life will be more normal again... until then you'll have to be strong. Imagine how hard it is for the younger ones, who need social interaction way more!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, El Antiguo Guardián said:

Wow amazing daughters army. Keep on painting!

Thank you!

14 hours ago, MitGas said:

Sad to hear that - but everyone goes through such phases, even very successful people or people who used to be very popular in younger years (and can't claim they "missed out on things"). Nobody does everything right. If you enjoy your little plastic witch aelves, painting them is and hasn't been  no waste of time - I always liken it to meditation; you know, listen to music and just "switch your head off" for a bit. I don't know enough about you but if you're single, the current times can be hard. If you were in a happy relationship, it would be nicer than being alone most of the time.

Or not - depending on your personality, hence why I say it's hard to give advice.  :) Personally I'm happy on my own as well but I'm at that age where I should look into settling down - how old are you if I may ask? And don't forget: you can always change your ways and constantly reinvent yourself and your life (and don't forget that not everything needs to be changed). Keep the things you enjoy around and change what isn't working. That can be simple or big things. Start working out (sports are very important for feeling good actually), going to dance classes or cooking courses, whatever you need to be more social. Frankly, it's hard at the moment but in a few months (when more people got vaccinated) social life will be more normal again... until then you'll have to be strong. Imagine how hard it is for the younger ones, who need social interaction way more!

Thank you MitGas, I appreciate your thoughts. I agree regarding the positive outlook and looking to do the things that bring one joy, especially physically. I am entering my middle years as well, and I really feel my body slowing down in terms of performance. Gotta hang on to what I can, and see if I can squeeze some more juice out of this potato. Yeap, relationship troubles are the worst 😔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ggom said:

Thank you!

Thank you MitGas, I appreciate your thoughts. I agree regarding the positive outlook and looking to do the things that bring one joy, especially physically. I am entering my middle years as well, and I really feel my body slowing down in terms of performance. Gotta hang on to what I can, and see if I can squeeze some more juice out of this potato. Yeap, relationship troubles are the worst 😔

I've never been much of a sports enthusiast when I was younger (prefering to go partying and stuff) but after around 30 I started to notice that sitting in front of a computer for hours on end made my back hurt. I started training - and got fitter at a less ideal age than when I was as a young gun. Neglect shows at a certain age but the good news is that you can turn things around in a couple of months. You probably read about/seen lots of examples on TV. So just try to keep a positive attitude for a bit and  start doing something proactively. Personally I'm really bummed that the gyms are closed since months as I hate doing exercise at home (it's hard to do it when I could do more fun things at home, it's easy when I'm at the gym) but well, I think we're soon back to a more normal state of things.

Hoping you soon get to a spot where you're happier - but think of your most noble birdboy avatar - hope and ambition is all you need! 😎 (And beautiful little aelves like you paint don't hurt either). 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Ggom! I've been following (in the forum lurking format) your blog for a while and really enjoy your style! In fact I just registered to wheigh in on your outlook on things and maybe add something to/underline what @MitGas has said. First off: having a hobby you enjoy is super healthy. If you feel like you are wasting time doing something that is "sisyphean" (I had to look that word up 😅 ), you could always turn your perspective around; if something never ends, you can always improve and grow doing it. I got the impression that you saw causality between your hobby and where your at in life right now, and even though everything is somehow connected, the regret you feel (I'm reading that a bit like "self blame") might be misplaced. I've been in therapy now for a year maybe and one of the things I've learnt from that is to always keep in mind that even though one might know oneself, one might not understand oneself, and the problems we percieve/experience might be caused by something way different. Because of this, the solutions to our percieved problems might be rather different too.

Secondly I agree 100% with MitGas in that you can change things around. I had a devastating, drawn out break up a couple of years ago that completely shattered any self-esteem I had, and I got really depressed because of it. I developed sociophobia and self isolated to an extent even before covid. Blamed myself alot too (which from experience, I can confirm is not the most helpful state of mind 😉). I am happy where I'm going right now though, and I got here because I decided I wanted more from life. I started taking positive steps (therapy, working out), and got positive reinforcement from it, which led me to take additional steps. You don't have to start making big dramatic changes and become a new person over night, you just got to start where you're at, and by just doing positive things for yourself you might be suprised how much easier things get if you stick to it!

Thirdly: Your witch aelves are kick ass! The dagger on the standard bearer is looking like a fusion between crystal and metal to me. super cool! Very impressive painting all around!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Those are the coolest looking Melusai I've ever seen. Please paint more.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I think that’s a good idea, now that I’ve finished the latest witch elf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got some of my $@#-& together and did the undercoats for a bunch of additional miniatures this morning. The cauldron is intimidating so I'm going to paint it as I build it - otherwise it will be tricky to get at the inside bits. I'm thinking of doing alot of gold for this cauldron, for the slaughterqueen to ride on (she's already magnetized for a spot on it.) My other cauldron will probably be more steel and get setup as a medusa throne.

Excited to paint something new! In the front row is model #26 who is still awaiting a varnish coat.

PXL_20210402_161657726.jpg.a63c97391dc36e28a172fa2777d635db.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, Ggom said:

I got some of my $@#-& together and did the undercoats for a bunch of additional miniatures this morning. The cauldron is intimidating so I'm going to paint it as I build it - otherwise it will be tricky to get at the inside bits. I'm thinking of doing alot of gold for this cauldron, for the slaughterqueen to ride on (she's already magnetized for a spot on it.) My other cauldron will probably be more steel and get setup as a medusa throne.

Excited to paint something new! In the front row is model #26 who is still awaiting a varnish coat.

PXL_20210402_161657726.jpg.a63c97391dc36e28a172fa2777d635db.jpg

 

Those melusai look great and quite scary. Never seen the minis outside of the official GW images but they look really amazing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got distracted painting a blood bowl model as a hag for the sisters

279159596_PXL_20210413_0231437682.jpg.e2cd990eb7fab335eceed3d6c67f2fb8.jpg

It's a very nice forgeworld sculpt. It's been fun painting the nmm gold! Still have work to do on the base and clean up the skin which is pretty speckly on close inspection...

PXL_20210413_023417794.jpg.b4512f1abe8251d609c4996d54331d41.jpg

Quite pleased with her pants too 😊

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Been working on the cauldron of blood - I had the foresight to keep parts only partially built, which is good... But damn now I wish I had kept even more of it separate. Damnit, getting the shapes painted on the underbits is tough. 

I am quite enjoying the colors though. I had an idea to do alot of scarlet and gold, and it's coming along the way I hoped. Here's one wheel and the attached strut in progress

1320356107_PXL_20210505_0343235722.jpg.23f6681f9743367071f26c38eebdaa89.jpg

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...