Painting beautiful bloodthirsty maniacs

Ggom

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the 4th Melusai

1354663922_PXL_20210912_0338558832.jpg.2ac2be3dbf1048c29669837d6813559a.jpg

Now to seal 4 of the models, and to start preparing the next batch for paint:412630275_PXL_20210912_0341477082.jpg.11186e8a3ad165d787e7d1e819393684.jpg

Some thoughts for today:

1. The bloodwrack viper is a pain to build since it comes in so many pieces and is hard to fit tigether. There are still a bunch of gaps that I’m going to try to use green stuff and varnish to fill.

2. I haven’t made up my mind where to expand further. I have the endless spells, a bloodwrack shrine and a medusa hero to paint, but feel like I need to expand my actual units instead of just having 4 minimum sized squads. I think I will enjoy painting another 10 sisters of slaughter and am leaning that way, although painting 5 more medusa is probably a faster way to be able to field a 1k list. (I think I’m really close!) The medusa are also newer sculpts, and I suspect will be more useful if the rumors about dark elf soup come true next year. Malerion will bring his own battleline, and I might not want a redundant/bigger pile of witch elf equivalents if that happens. I expect there will always be a reason to run a reinforced block of elites though, so Medusa are a less risky investment if we get souped.

3. I’m a bit unexcited about the khainite shadowstalker sculpts. However, they would be a chance to continue to paint different sculpts. There was definitely a point where I got tired if painting witch elf equivalents earlier this year.

4. i need to get bits to improve basing. I made a duplicate green stuff pillar from the Medusa captain’s base, but I need to get back on the basing train more. Msybe make some more broken wall bits like the one I did for a khinerai.

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wow it’s been a month since I’ve painted anything for the Daughters. I painted some Horus Heresy for a palette cleanser, but generally didn’t paint much. Finally sat back down for some fantasy this evening.

With marines, there’s much more kit variety and conversion potential, but the painting itself is much more muted and less ... creative? Since after the first few squads I generally expect the units to share colors. Compare this to the Daughters with their limited kits, the build for fantasy is not as fun. However, I get to have fun on the painting since I’ve already established a wide range of colors on all the girls. It’s super refreshing to come back from chipping weathering and pin washes and try to paint some brushstroke style. 🥰

Working on the fifth medusa now. Will need to bust out the airbrush again once she is done to underpaint some heroes and spells!

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

Thank you for the kind words @Okman!

A small update - finished the 5th melusai, so now I have finished painting over the course of a year:

10 witch elves

10 sisters of slaughter

5 khinerai

5 melusai

Cauldron with Avatar and slaughterqueen and attendants

Morgwaeth and her blade coven

Next up on the list for painting:

Ironscale

3 Endless spell/prayers

Hag queen

Bloodwrack Medusa

Bloodwrack Medusa on shrine with attendants

In conclusion, I’ve got another year to go here lol

Edited by Ggom

Lazy to use my airbrush this evening (it's also very noisy to run in an apartment at night) so decided to do some underpainting with a brush.

Not as smooth, but quite satisfying. Need to smooth things out with an airbrush next, and then start laying down colors.

PXL_20211020_033806149_MP.jpg.db9e32422fbd72c6ee462e134a129d5a.jpg

Sunday mornings are superb for airbrushing for me, on weekends when my kiddo is away. I wake up at 8 (that's the most I am physically capable of sleeping in lol) I load up the noisy laundry apparatus in my apartment, and then, since it sounds like a racket anyway, I turn on my compressor and fan and go to town.

For the DoK I've mostly airbrushed the undercoat and the bases. Especially with white and off-white colors I struggle with speckling. I think I've gotten more experienced with controlling for this - the right amount of airbrush medium, some water, and alot of mixing help. Then when airbrushing I always start the airstream off to the side so that any dried flecks get cleaned up by the initial airstream, then flow in real close to the model for that smooth layering. People who describe airbrush as cheating have likely never sat down to see how hard it is to use. It's like describing driving as cheating - yes it is faster than running, but it comes with it's own limitations and requires a tremendous amount of (different) skill and knowledge. Imagine if people insisted that running was the only "authentic" way to get from one spot to another!

I undercoated 6 models in 1 hour of working time and I'm stoked to start adding color to them next!

PXL_20211024_153057270.jpg.c737f25b97b469f2b66b4a2b0c6400df.jpgPXL_20211024_153024103.jpg.2f7c236e22b9f030dd2cc73f29baa6d7.jpg

I decided to get 5 more Medusa instead of 10 more witch elves. I uh... Didn't follow the build instructions this time and mixed and matched parts to get unique poses 😆 and also did some more creative basing for this batch. I think I will paint them different colors from the first 5 because why not?

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I painted another hag to go alongside Morgwaeth. I think, together with the slaughter queen they will form a triumvirate of sisters who rule this coven.

1370529832_PXL_20211214_0457331232.jpg.ce8cb9224091e8c9af5f8b0ada7e3af7.jpg

I really need to paint some Melusai now. I wish I had done them maskless because painting faces has become so fun, and I have much more motivation to paint if I can paint faces 🙁

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the last month I got to paint another Melusai. Given this is the 6th Melusai, I figured I could do a new color scheme!

20220109_222752_0000.png.9194089a4a0ef4fa14723083d7eaeb29.png

I need to add some reds to the base to better match the rest of my army, but that will need to wait for a weekend when I have the airbrush out.

Overall I think I like how she came out. Her snake skin is much more vibrant because of the yellow mixed into the turquoise making for a bright green. I like the gold armor more than the old steel too. I am also quite happy with her tail stinger, did some quick false shadows to add some depth there 😄

• Like 1