Female model representation in Age of Sigmar

Enoby

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Irrelevant if you can’t get the players/presenters without the models ;)  

Aye but we have had women gamers for years. They've just never really been heavily promoted until the Internet arose as the powerhouse it is today. It's one area GW could improve on by having one or two women more overtly in their promotional and social media teams. They already have Becca Scot (who I hasten to add had her own channel long before GW appearances); but she only gets brought out for the how to play videos. I think what they need is one or two on the team doing the matches in White Dwarf; doing the presentations and interviews; playing more games in twitch and such. 

I think this is something where groups like MTG and DnD and even Larping have the edge on GW in general. I think its somewhere GW can do more without having to "change" anything.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Just a reminder for everyone on this line, GW is in total control of the narrative of every faction. They aren't bound by some external or historical force that tells them that there can't be female fireslayers or ogors or a group of orcs that present more feminine than masculine. They can and do write the lore however they want and can add new pieces whenever it's convenient. They could release three black library novels over the next few months that mention the inclusion of female warriors in the cities of sigmar and then bam, it's entrenched in the lore and when the models come out it's perfectly natural for the faction. They could encourage the next couple video games to have a female chaos villain and then make her a special character model and the focus of the next chaos narrative arc. The entire game can be shaped and molded however they see fit.

Personally, I'm all for more female representation if it means more people playing the game. 

Yep, 

For those who don't understand why lore reasons aren't good arguments for denying representation/change

https://youtu.be/AxV8gAGmbtk

• Like 3

Its interesting to note that the whole "Orks reproduce by spores, so they aren't really male" argument comes up whenever we have this discussion. However, I've never seen anyone ever make the same argument about Sylvaneth. Since they are all trees, they presumably all have flowers with both male and female gametes, but that doesn't stop them presenting as male or female. Does that come from the wishes of the spirit/soul that turns that tree into an ent or hamadryad? Is it a hold over from Alarielle's vision of what her children should be? We don't know, but it is still an established fact that some sylvaneth are coded as one gender or another, just as orks are coded as being male.

On a slightly sillier note though, its worth pointing out that while treelords are called "lords" and are generally male coded, they do kind of have high heels!

The use of the term lord is something I've wondered about before, and this topic made me wonder about again. Tree lords are all kind of coded as male, as that is their role within sylvaneth society, and I agree that a "Chaos Lady" seems slightly paradoxical (Queen of Chaos though works great.)

Then you have the stormcast ranks. Presumably a female lord Celestant is a Lady Celestant, and unlike their chaos counterparts I don't see a conflict there. A female Stormcast Knight can uphold the traditional virtues of a noble lady (beauty, grace, compassion, dedication to those she loves etc) while still being a paragon of the warrior arts and a champion of the stormcast way. Those are perfectly compatible with the chivalric ideal of the stormcast and if anything make her better at being a saviour paladin than someone who is a warrior first.

A chaos champion perhaps not? At least among the barbarian tribes. An order of Chaos Knights who do uphold their own twisted form of chivalry might have other ideas, I'm genuinely not sure.

One thing that occurred to me when reading the OP though, is that while I'm sure the stormcast ranks can make allowance for female officers, the default way they are presented doesn't. This is particularly of note since on this very forum we use stormcast ranks to track post count. I see from her profile that Enoby is thus a "Lord Celestant", even if she'd rather be a "Lady Celestant" instead. (Although clearly no one should be under any obligation to reveal their gender on an internet forum if they don't want to, but the option simply doesn't exist, even if supported by lore).

It shows one of the subtle ways in which this community assumes the male default, without intending to or meaning any ill by it. That doesn't directly exclude women from participating in this sort of space, but everything adds up, and I wouldn't be surprised if our female members noticed they were being called "Lords" a lot sooner than I did.

• Like 4

Then you have the stormcast ranks. Presumably a female lord Celestant is a Lady Celestant, and unlike their chaos counterparts I don't see a conflict there. A female Stormcast Knight can uphold the traditional virtues of a noble lady (beauty, grace, compassion, dedication to those she loves etc) while still being a paragon of the warrior arts and a champion of the stormcast way

Astreia Solbright despite a being female character is still called a Lord-Arcanum, though I can see that being more about faction cohesiveness of everyone of the same rank being named the same rank.

Should also be noticed however that Lord in UK has been in recent times been used to refer to female holders of certain titles like the Lord of Mann (held by the Queen) or Lord Mayor which has had female occupants who were styled as Lord (not Lady). So maybe as time moves on Lord will become are more gender neutral term.

The female equivalent for the title of Knight is a Dame, but time has made Knight become more gender neutral term at least in pop culture for instance.

Edited by Harpo2
  • Like 2

I really like diversity in the model ranges and I like the idea that people can see themselves reflected in any media, particularly one that is as creative and dynamic as this one. I do often feel that there is a lot of gatekeeping in Warhammer: including the high cost of entry, dense lore, and problematic stereotypes (often dealt with in a fairly satirical manner). I do not personally want my hobby to offend others  and I really want it to be open for as many people to enjoy as possible. So personally, I am all in favour of the models and stories reflecting as many people as possible to help people feel more included within the hobby. Even if this diversity does not permeate into an expanded market, I am still a fan of people hopefully feeling more welcome into the hobby. I will always love and embrace the use of customization and personal story telling that makes this hobby so creatively fulfilling. Inclusivity should be the goal and if people find that alienating… well there are plenty of ways to build and model your armies to your own tastes as people wanting more diversity have been doing it for years.

I always think that the argument that the lack of females reflects reality is really silly. Female soldiers are and always have been real, whereas Trolls and Dragons don't particularly fit any true form of real world verisimilitude. I am happy that female models are being included in various factions and that many of them are heavily armoured and well armed. I also enjoy the introduction of named female characters but I am much more interested in seeing diversity represented on the tabletop, as it is how I most directly and regularly engage with the hobby. 

Personally I really like Hedonists of Slaanash: narratively, aesthetically and rules-wise. But I am also aware that some people find the depictions to be somewhat problematic. I am hoping to purchase Shadow & Pain and add some Slaanesh units to my Slaves to Darkness army and also start a Daughters of Khaine army… but I also do not want to offend anybody’s sensibilities. This makes me debate getting the box but I am still leaning towards purchasing it knowing that I will create (to some extent) my own lore* for the models. So I do hope that GW will continue to add greater diversity to their line and I am grateful for the movement towards greater inclusivity and hope they will aim to continue to do better going forth.

*My army is themed around the notion of a crusading force that had become tempted by the demons they had sworn to defeat now they return home with the intention of starting a new crusade in support of those demons. I feel this narrative makes Slaanesh a natural fit, even if my storyline is only tangentially influenced by canon AOS lore. I also do really like the idea of a bunch of empowered aesthetes fighting alongside 'beautiful' Hellraiser style demons against the tyranny of mankind, even if the lore for some reason treats them as the villains. :)

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 5:06 AM, Enoby said:

A lot of guys online seem to have the idea that women don't like WH due to some innate natural preference (often then citing primate studies which is a... rocky way to back up human psychology claims), but asking women who are happy to play D&D why they don't play WH they have always said it's because they feel unwelcome into the hobby. This could be for a lot of reasons, including the more toxic members of the community, but it may also partially be because the vast majority of characters they'll be playing are male. 

Some very good points here @Enoby and I think this one is worth emphasising.  It was an eye-opener for me the first time I went to a store tournament at an FLGS and there was a Yu Gi Oh event happening at the same team.  Our players were all male but around 50% of the TCG players were women, and that would not be unusual from what I've seen since.

It seems to be the same with RPGs...the same kind of "guys online" might try to explain that away as being more cooperative and more about story-telling, but I think the fact that card games (which are just as adversarial as wargaming) have so many more women playing really highlights that miniature wargaming is the odd one out, and could be so much better.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:32 AM, EMMachine said:

Yeah, in the lore we have way more representation of women then with miniatures.

This is also a really important point I think, and has got me wondering why that would be the case.  To give one example, the short story in the Fyreslayers White Dwarf issue was explicitly about female leadership and female empowerment.  And yet there are zero female Fyreslayers on the tabletop.

So the recognition of the issue, and the will to improve positive female representation, does seem to be there.  But if it's not making its way through to the tabletop in the same way that it does in the lore, why would that be the case? 

I guess there's a few reasons: time delays being a big one (GW can turn out fiction, especially short stories, more regularly than they can update every model range).  Even then, while the newer ranges do tend to have more women than the older model ranges, it's nowhere near parity.

One possible factor is that the creative team (perhaps subconsciously) are cautious about how they model females without being reductive.  DOK for example are basically a teenage boy's fantasy and not something that I believe would represent the hobby well to a woman who was new to the game (happy to be told I'm wrong if women reading this disagree).  The classic boobplate is less egregious but still (rightly) draws criticism, and maybe it's just easier in that context to stick to what they know?

I'd be interested to know how many women are involved at GW in conceptualizing and designing the miniatures.  Hopefully someone can turn around and tell me that there are loads of women already employed in that area, but if not, it's something that could probably be looked at in the future as vacancies are created.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Harpo2 said:

If not there are 3 Stormcasts hero units, Knight Incantor from the starter set, Astreia Solbright, Neave Blacktalon, Knight-Zephyros there is also an event exclusive models that I can't remember was a fancy Liberator Prime or a Knight Questor who was female.

Actually both. There was Knight Questor Larissa Shadowstalker as a Store Anniverary Model and Leena Stormspire the Liberator Prime that is a Store Opening miniature. And there are two female Knight Incantors because Xandria Azurebolt the Knight Incantor of the Mortal Realms series is female too.

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

This is also a really important point I think, and has got me wondering why that would be the case.  To give one example, the short story in the Fyreslayers White Dwarf issue was explicitly about female leadership and female empowerment.  And yet there are zero female Fyreslayers on the tabletop.

I think the problem is partly because models need years to be produced. The Fyreslayers came out first at the start of 2016, about halve a year after AoS startet (I actually have to look if the Fyreslayer Queen was a thing in the first one and the models created in the time were successors of the WHFB Slayers. The first time I read about was in The Volturung, but there, they mostly were workers (the fiancee of the ruleson that became a runelord for his own lodge worked in the mines). Since 2016 we had 1 single new model with the Doomseeker (also released in 2016) so we had no new Fyreslayer models in 4 years. Do we know how many years it takes until models are ready? In the lore or art it is easier because It doesn't take that long. (until 2017 we had 2 female Stormcast Models. Since 2018 we have at lease 10-13 models in the Sacrosanct chamber in basicly every unittype (Sequitors, Casticators, Evocators, Celestar Ballista, Knight Incantor, Lord Arcanum)

But I also have the feeling that an Fyreslayer Queen does have a little problem in the lore. We all know that Rulefathers often have about 12 childen because some will die with their actions getting recognised for becoming the next Runefather or opening their own lodge. Which literally would mean that the Auric Queen would literally be pregnant the entire time.

10 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Then you have the stormcast ranks. Presumably a female lord Celestant is a Lady Celestant, and unlike their chaos counterparts I don't see a conflict there. A female Stormcast Knight can uphold the traditional virtues of a noble lady (beauty, grace, compassion, dedication to those she loves etc) while still being a paragon of the warrior arts and a champion of the stormcast way. Those are perfectly compatible with the chivalric ideal of the stormcast and if anything make her better at being a saviour paladin than someone who is a warrior first.

Well most Lord Celestants are even called this when a Woman has this rank (Cassandora Stormforged for example. If she is mentioned by rank it is Lord Celestant, when mentioned by name it is Lady Cassadora). I think in the english text the gender is rearly mentioned in the rank. If I remember correctly I read the term "Liberatress" as a female form of "Liberator" when Shadespire came out. In german translations the gender is more often used (instead of "Prime" they often use "Primus" or "Prima" and I think I have to look it up again if for example the "Knight Venator" which is translated in the male for as "Venator Ritter" if in case of "Enyo the Sunwinger" "Venatorin Ritter" or "Venator Ritterin" was used but I think it was the first one because "Venator" could stand as a rank alone.

In case of the Cities of Sigmar, with a little converting it is quite easy to get a female general or a entirely female army. One part of my projects is basicly an entire army based on Sisters of the Watch and Sisters of the Thorn, with heroes build from the same models.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Like 5

I don’t think the Fyreslayer queens’ pregnancies present a big problem!! Look at medieval history - widows, mothers and mothers-in-law could take control and exercise huge power, especially in the event of male death in battle / disease. Duardin are naturally long lives and/but Fyreslayers are prone to dramatic deaths. Have queens be young widows or seasoned veterans past childbearing years

or even single valkyries of course!

Edited by Lord of the Isle

3 minutes ago, Lord of the Isle said:

I don’t think the Fyreslayer queens’ pregnancies present a big problem!! Look at medieval history - widows, mothers and mothers-in-law could take control and exercise huge power, especially in the event of male death in battle / disease. Duardin are naturally long lives and/but Fyreslayers are prone to dramatic deaths. Have queens be young widows or seasoned veterans past childbearing years

Plus if any one is going to stubbornly still be a badass warrior while heavily pregnant its a fyreslayer queen.

In warhammer lore seraphon/lizardmen are born from spawning pools, so I'm not sure there are males and females. When I use those models for other games though I often say that skinks and saurus are the same species, but represent sexual dimorphism. Since the females of many reptile species are larger than the males, that would make the saurus the girls. Pure headcanon, but its proved fun in a few D&D games.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

A bit to the side of the main topic, one thing I have noticed is that a good chunk of female units (non-hero, multiple models) tend to have a title that references their all-female status, but this is not the same for most of the male units.

Please correct me if I'm missing out some units :)

Sisters of the Watch, Sisters of Thorne, Blood Sisters, Witch Aelves, Sisters of Slaughter (Blood Stalkers and the Khinerai units do not), daemonettes (arguable on gender, but certainly more feminine than other daemon troops - seekers do not), Myremourne Banshees (Dreadscythes do not), and Dryads (Dryads are nymphs in folklore, which are maidens).

Out of the 12 all female units I've counted, 8 have a 'female' title (as in, it refers to their gender or to a creature that is only female). 

I won't list all of the male only units, but they very very rarely refer to their male-ness. To name a few newer all male units, we have Hearthguard/Vulkite Bezerkers, Auric Hearthguard, Liberators (buying them from the box has them as all male varients), Varanguard (all helmetless options are male), Tree-Revenants (correct me if there's a female one, but iirc the female one is in spite revenants), and Kairic Acolytes. I can't think of any multiple model units that have "Brothers of" or "Sons of" as a title. The male titled units I can think of are Bullgors, Doomfire Warlocks, and Ardboyz. 

This isn't meant to be some claim that GW are secretly sexist or something, but I just find it quite interesting that the all female units are often pointed out as all female whereas the all male ones aren't usually. It should also be noted (and commended) that a very large chunk of new units are mixed gender or indeterminate. The lumineth aelves do a great job at this, with the differences between the two being tiny and quite hard to notice without looking. 

This is mostly to give just a little bit more raw data to the discussion; there aren't any conclusions drawn and I may have missed out some units, so please say if I have.

• Like 4

I wouldn't put too much value in gender of the titles, especially for Stormcast.

It's not as if the word behind it is all that accurate in its Latin.

As for Chaos, if they don't play by the rules, well, that's par for the course, isn't it?

I think we see a shift from the first year or so in models and lore from AoS compared to later stuff.

At first, GW was still entrenched in the ways of old, because that was everything for the 20 years prior. Making more diverse models and lore would also have generated even more rage than it already did.

They based Fyreslayers on one unit in Fantasy which is a narrow aesthetic, but also quite a testosterone filled one. 

I think Kharadron are lifted from designs they did to reintroduce Squats to 40k, these may also not be the newest.

I think everything they did after that was more diverse except the Kairic Acolytes and Tsaangors.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Interesting observation with the Unit Names, I thought about the aspect that some of it has to do with Names that were introduced in Warhammer Fantasy.
I have never played Warhammer Fantasy, however from the limited knowledge I have there were some interesting gender-related aspects mainly in the Elf-Factions.

Before the newer Sculpts for the Dark-Elf Units came around (the now Darkling Covens and others) there were female Soldiers among the ranks of the Repeater-Crossbows, Spearmen and Swordsmen. (no pun inteneded lol) Correct me if I am wrong - I am just basing this assumption on some artwork from around 6th (?) edition. There are some Druchi Spear-Elves and there is one woman among them with egregious boobplate.
I just find it interesting that both in the  Wood-Elves and Dark-Elves factions you have women in their military all over the place whereas in the High Elves Military you have a specific Sisterhood and thats about it.
Let's compare:
for the Wood Elves I can speak from experience cause I collected "Wanderers" in AoS
Wood Elves: There are women (often 50% of the Models) Glade Guard /Wood Elf Warriors, Glade Riders, Wardancers, Eternal Guard, Wildwood Rangers (surely I forgot some Models)
Dark Elves: Here I don't know anything for sure - but it would be interesting if somebody could dig up their old Models :D

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 2

Especially with Fyreslayers and their narrow design options, some female testosterone-filled dwarves could make them much more visually interesting. Fluff always finds a reason (seriously, who knows how dwarven testosterone, aethergold and runestuff really works? And who cares, as long as it results in fantastic miniatures?😄).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'd be interested to know how many women are involved at GW in conceptualizing and designing the miniatures.  Hopefully someone can turn around and tell me that there are loads of women already employed in that area, but if not, it's something that could probably be looked at in the future as vacancies are created.

I've a feeling based on social media and talking to people that there are a lot more men who sculpt than women throughout the hobby.  It would be quite interesting to know if this also applies to 3d sculpting in other industries (e.g. film and tv) or if it's peculiar to miniature sculpting?

Within GW, generally a lot of the initial miniature concepts come from artwork created by the likes of John Blanche, Jes Goodwin, Mark Bedford, etc and then expanded by the sculptors themselves.  Some of this artwork may be decades old too - Kharadron are a good example of this as the initial concept of steampunk airship dwarves was done by John Blanche years ago!

• Like 2

Honestly, any new designs, especially females with different equipment from males, are welcomed for fyreslayers, since what they have now are just naked male muscular berserker dwarves with mohawk and beard repeating 1000+ times....

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 2

I wonder how many sculptors in the industry are simply skilled and dedicated hobbyists who mostly trained themselves etc... I would expect that to be the case which would likely mean the community being male dominated would result in male dominance in those applying for such positions. So in theory its a situation that would "correct" itself in terms of gender balance. It will just have a lag time as it will take time to increase the women population of gamers and then sculptors and then those applying for jobs. 

Considering that the more advanced areas of sculpting is a bit of a dark art where you have to cobble it together from random videos, articles, guides and badgering other sculptors to part with their wise and secret methods; it might slow such a change, but I would expect it to happen. 

I'd wager any area of industry that at least has well advertised university/college courses might well have more chance to change gender bias because advertising is already happening to draw people in. Areas where you more have to train yourself and its almost more of a hobby job are likely to be slower to change because there's less advertising it as a job and role and less exchange of skills happening in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Honestly, any new designs, especially females with different equipment from males, are welcomed for fyreslayers, since what they have now are just naked male muscular berserker dwarves with mohawk and beard repeating 1000+ times....

Yep, I think this touches on some of what was discussed in the rumour thread. Though it was discussed in terms of warscroll numbers and variant viable army builds, the sheer homogeneity of the Fyreslayers is unfortunate. There's almost no variation in visual language, just the same note repeated over and over again with very little to distinguish line infantry from elites from missile troops from most heroes. The only hints of any other cues are (i) the magmadroths themselves and (ii) the whispers of old WHFB chaos dwarf influence visible in the designs of the runesmiter and runemaster.

That latter element - the slightly more cultic side of things, masked, solemn, ritualistic, a little mysterious - would be good to pick up for any prospective female fyreslayers. I could see a priestess or followers of Valaya unit fitting in in that regard, distinguished from the mass of naked male berzerkers. It's an angle you see a bit in the art (e.g. here) but that isn't there so much in the models. 

But then that might indulge too much in what Enoby mentioned in their last comment: here are the distinct female fyreslayers, safely distinguished in their own unit which is tied directly to their gender and particular associations about that (men as warriors, women as more associated with the hold and religion). I don't think it's necessarily an angle that lacks potential or artistic merit - it's a strand that already existed in older dwarf background - just that it could 'crowd out' the approach we see with stormcast or idoneth or lumineth where there's a blend of genders within the ranks. It could crowd out representation of the female berzerkers we've seen in the Soulbound RPG, as below.

zdM8F16FFgA.jpg

• Like 3

In terms of female dwarfs - I don't think there has ever been an explicit mentioning of why they wouldn't be warriors, they are supposed to be as tough, stubborn and resilient as the males. They just haven't really been talked about until recently- bar Valaya and Queen Helga from the grudge of Drong. they have been introduced into Kharadron fiction and art which is excellent and I could see them being added to other dwarf factions -maybe as distinctive cults/formations. Model wise I think in th past they have been tricky to do well, but I think they have really got dwarf proportions perfect now with the recent sculpts, so adding subtly female forms is much easier [now they have waists and knees!]. 

I think we will see more of them as they continue to expand AoS, GW seems much more keen to add female models recently and I think when they revisit some of the ranges we will see more. 

• Like 3

I would expect to see Khadorans adopt female warriors and leaders more readily than Fyreslayers and Dispossessed. 

The way I'd see it in the lore (yes yes yes lore isn't real but that doesn't mean it doesn't have established themes and concepts), the Khadorans are more forward and modern in their thinking. Yes they are still dwarves who hold grudges for generations; live for hundreds of years and generally have a grumpy attitude, but they aren't as steadfast in all the old ways.

Fyreslayers seem to be far more traditional, indeed I'd wager they wouldn't have female warriors or if they did they'd be a "Mulan" or rare leader born to the role. They'd aim for that more traditional dwarvish approach. Now the lore might well help here in so much as the game only shows war; only battle. It ignores art, religion (where it is not warrior groups); mining; production; farming; crafting; basically anything of culture. Indeed for races on the march they have a powerful need of a strong infrastructure at "home". Indeed I think we in part almost have to be careful that our desire for models doesn't result in our glorification of war to the point that all else in the race, lore and background is irrelevant. How demeaning to consider that war is the only important thing within the Mortal Realms. 

Dispossessed might fall half way between the two. One part wanting to cling to the old ways; another part forced to adapt and change through both losing their holds and mines and also through association in the Free Cities steadily eroding some of their old ways. 

We could even connect that as Gotrek appeared closest to the Fyreslayers of all dwarvish races, that perhaps they have the greatest connection to the Old Ways and Old Dwarves. Even though they are vastly changed, they still aim to stick to those old themes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, silverstu said:

they have been introduced into Kharadron fiction and art which is excellent and I could see them being added to other dwarf factions

I would add that Code of the Skies has a female admiral and female arkanauts as the main stars.
I think that female KOs are equal as any other male KO: you rise up in power for your merits and not for your gender (maybe surenames and vaults full of aether-gold can help... but that's not the point). 

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 4

Volturnos has a deep mare called Ursall which is both named and female. Teclis has a cat which is both named and female.

I think this is a very reductive test, just like the original Bechdel test. A character being named doesn't really mean much. With a few exceptions, like Archaon or Teclis, named characters are no more lore significant than any generic character with your own fluff.

Furthermore, there are loads of characters featured or mentioned in battletomes or black library that don't have models. For instance in the Idoneth battletome there is a legendary Akhelian Queen.

Regardless, I'm sure in 10 years time we will have loads of female characters. We will probably even have a transgender space marine by then too.

• Like 1