Warcry - Cities of Sigmar

SerialMoM

On 9/15/2020 at 10:23 AM, FireAbend said:

Have seen a live stream of white dwarf 456 and the page headline for the CoS Warband Warcry rules is "Hammerhal" . 
So i think thats the reason for the dwarf and freeguild heavy setup and there's a chance we get a warband rules for each city.

Potentially, but I'm not really sure that's a given - we did get Lumineth being called the "Shining Company", and then included everything in the faction... Plus, I feel like it would get more confusing to have 3 or 4 different "Cities of Sigmar" war band options (see, for example, the constant confusion for new players concerning the 3 stormcast options) 

That being said... I want all of the options for lists, so hopefully I'll be wrong. 

It could be a matter of the lore; if anything, Hammerhal is most likely to take the initiative and attack the Eight Points over the other cities, as the other cities have different focuses. Hammerhal's main focus is the destruction of chaos, while say Greywater Fastness are content keeping their city safe from Sylvaneth, and Anvilguard doing crime. Hammerhal seems the most proactive, and is also the most well established city in the Realms, so could likely spare the resources for distant campaigns.

interesting as there are really just the leaders with special guns, but the twohanded weapons are a bit overly granular as halberds/glaiveguards shielddorfs/shieldfreeguild could be the same. and its always chaff as the most expensive is 200, (the most viable leader the repeater dude) and all others 80 average. so having no flagellants but still lots of bodies with multiple targets to buffs per turn

2 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

Warhammer Community wrote an article about it today - e voila!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/17/white-dwarf-preview-hammerhal-in-warcry/

Interesting that the warband's specifically from Hammerhal... reckon we'll see other Cities (and units) in future issues?

The campaign hunting an endless spell looks like good fun!

If you're getting a box for Warcry, consider getting a Greatswords box and a few rifles from the Skitarii set though friends or bits sites.

Guards aren't bad in hands and bodies, but in faces, they are lacking. Greatswords have enough guard equipment for your warcry band (though you may need to make or get some shields). Freeguild gunners are bad. The powder monkey is nice, but that's it. If you use a Greatswords body with a Skitarii gun, you have a really nice looking combination. You'll also have the guild captain and sergeant.

The greatsword set is, well, great. The most recent use I had for it was today for a Necromunda noble.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 2

So its been few days Hammerhal Warband is out - what are evryone opinions? 

What are nice fighter options you guys see and why ?

Also - any nice synergies you see with the skills? 

Personally im pretty low on morale seeing out of 18 options, 8 of them  are leaders. 

Roster gonna be proapbly on highter spectrum on body count - averaging around 10-12 models

On first glance they lack killy stuff, and need to relay on doubles (and beign close too objective) or/and leader triple - OR both of them - which is potentially awsome.  But unlike other warbands where you got your killy stuff / fodder - you can kidna choose where to spend your double to make Ranger/Greatsword more killy - which from enemy perspective, is not so good becouse he cannot just focus down your killy moddel

Quad is potentially better than rampage, since if you have two models in base contact you can squeeze 2 extra attacks instead one with Rampage - but its not mindblowing.  

As for composition - im gonna try with couple of shooty moddels to chip damage but also activation counts - these are gonna ctivate first. Then killy stuff - leader+ rangers/greatswords. Fill up rest with spears/halberds 

Edited by Rahatlin

So I had my very first game of Warcry today, and was playing a pure Freeguild force vs Corvus Cabal.

Guild Champion: 175

3 Freeguild Guard with Shields: 240
2 Freeguild Handgunners: 160
3 Freeguild Greatswords: 285
1 Freeguild Halberdier: 75
1 Freeguild Guard with Spear: 65

1000 points.

I won the game, capturing both objectives with my high number of bodies.

My Guild Champion scored 4 crits on the enemy leader and blew him up in one go.

I didn't get any crits with my gunners despite using Volley of Shots a few times, so it was a bit of bad luck but they performed fine. A little bit of peel was good.

The Shield Wall ability was pretty good at holding down my objective, while the Greatswords were pretty good frontline fighters. Reclaim for Sigmar was a really nice and cheap steroid to make sure all my normally mid-level fighters could compete with stronger enemies. The Halberdier did more than I was expecting.

From what I could understand, Hammerhal are a comfy all-rounder force and I had good fun.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dankboss said:

So I had my very first game of Warcry today, and was playing a pure Freeguild force vs Corvus Cabal.

Guild Champion: 175

3 Freeguild Guard with Shields: 240
2 Freeguild Handgunners: 160
3 Freeguild Greatswords: 285
1 Freeguild Halberdier: 75
1 Freeguild Guard with Spear: 65

1000 points.

I won the game, capturing both objectives with my high number of bodies.

My Guild Champion scored 4 crits on the enemy leader and blew him up in one go.

I didn't get any crits with my gunners despite using Volley of Shots a few times, so it was a bit of bad luck but they performed fine. A little bit of peel was good.

The Shield Wall ability was pretty good at holding down my objective, while the Greatswords were pretty good frontline fighters. Reclaim for Sigmar was a really nice and cheap steroid to make sure all my normally mid-level fighters could compete with stronger enemies. The Halberdier did more than I was expecting.

From what I could understand, Hammerhal are a comfy all-rounder force and I had good fun.

That’s great to hear! Working on converting up a warband for my group’s next campaign (just started one with my Beasts of Chaos). But that won’t be for a little while, so living vicariously through posts like these 🤘.  

• Like 1

Looking through the Hammerhall warband, I think it's a good set of rules. There are a lot of options with a good amount of overlap yet they avoid certain choices being strictly better than others. The abilities are both useful and unique without being OP, and the campaign rewards similarly so. Whoever wrote them did a good job IMO.

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Looking through the Hammerhall warband, I think it's a good set of rules. There are a lot of options with a good amount of overlap yet they avoid certain choices being strictly better than others. The abilities are both useful and unique without being OP, and the campaign rewards similarly so. Whoever wrote them did a good job IMO.

Yeah, I thought so too. Comparing the Greatsword to the Ranger, the Greatsword is tougher, while the Ranger has 1 more weapon strength and movement. And even then, it's not an issue because of Reclaim for Sigmar being a cheap steroid, so any model can perform decently in contrast to each other.

4 minutes ago, SerialMoM said:

I read the rules today and I am disappointed.

I think there are too many leaders and not enough normal troops. I am also missing a spellcaster. 

Are there any spellcasters in regular warbands?

As for the troops, it's clear to me that they specifically chose which ones, as to avoid stepping on each other's toes, as is the case in CoS proper. They also chose which ones were appropriate for Hammerhal, hence the Freeguild focus. I'm sure we'll see other cities with other choices appear in future.

For what it's worth. From the perspective of someone who is preparing to jump into warcry with the next starter kit, i'm kinda excited by the roster. I have a very rudemental understanding of the game, so if things truly are powerful I don't know. 

In a board with lava rivers the repeater handgun hero has three 1 in 6 chances for a critical to push someone to fall if I understand it right. Which just sounds like fun, same for the untamed beast harpoon thrower. 

Based on my collection i'm a bit disappointed though. I have a lot of longbeards and executioners that I love... that will still see play as greatswords and ironbreakers but still. 

I will give it a try in due time and probably finally start a vagabond style freeguild unit ive been planning for a long time. So in that aspect its a win ;) 

Edited by Kramer

On 9/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, Dankboss said:

Are there any spellcasters in regular warbands?

As for the troops, it's clear to me that they specifically chose which ones, as to avoid stepping on each other's toes, as is the case in CoS proper. They also chose which ones were appropriate for Hammerhal, hence the Freeguild focus. I'm sure we'll see other cities with other choices appear in future.

I remember that the Lumineth do have a spellcaster.

I am also missing longbeards. 

Edited by SerialMoM

On 9/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, SerialMoM said:

I remember that the Lumineth do have a spellcaster.

I am also missing longbeards. 

We have 18 units. I think only skaven have more (20). Too much units in a faction and you risk that it will be strictly better than others because it can do everything well (look at Space Marines).

So my initial impression was being a little annoyed about the lack of all the models. In particular because the differences in general between Aelves, Duardin and Humans generally boils down to movement and health (With the Wanderer variety of Aelves having a little less hp due to less armour). So I think they could've easily rattled off all the extra cards. There will always be winners and losers in terms of warrior choices, and some I think it would've given people a lot of interesting flexibility in being able to choose faster more expensive Aelves or slower tougher Duardin or middle of the line humans or a mixture of all.

I'm a little more on the side of it's alright now. The way I see it is that there's enough variety in the list to build an interesting looking warband visually, and I feel that's pretty important to me when it comes to the non-Warcry warbands. I think they definitely could've put Eternal Guard and Executioners into the warband to at least allow the other options for those kits. That being said, at least for the Darkling Covens/Wanderers side of things it's pretty easy to proxy as Freeguild and just accept the difference in stats and it won't be that noticable (As Aelves are generally in a similar form to Humans). Longbeards shield and axe variety are also an easy proxy for Ironbreakers.

I think the miss for me is they could've done more to sell us on the point that while this is Hammerhal, there is the reason why there aren't all these extra fighters. The short story is nice, but feels like with most artistic stuff, it's been written to match what the rules have as available, rather than the other way around. Ultimately Hammerhal is the largest and most diverse of the great cities, so there should be some kind of justification as to why not all options are available.

So I think there's enough there to make a cool looking warband with an interesting story. After initial trepidation, it's definitely on my list of warbands I'd be interesting in making specifically for Warcry.

2 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Ultimately Hammerhal is the largest and most diverse of the great cities, so there should be some kind of justification as to why not all options are available.

There is that one design rule from MtG that I think people should remember - gameplay sometimes has to trump flavour. Having all infantry options would definitely make some redundant and could also risk making Hammerhal OP because of the "we have no weakness as we can do anything" issue.

I'm sure we will get more Wanderers with Living City, Dispossessed with Greywater Fastness, Phoenix Guard with Phoenicium, Darkling Covens and/or Scourge Privateers with Anvilgard...

Edited by michu
  • Like 3

I built two Cities of Sigmarwarbands with my Mortheim models

one is my witch hunter warband, for which is use the greatsowrds rules for the flagellants.

The other is a mercenary warband, for which many models are used as sword and shield freeguild guards.

it is not super competitive but it brings back nice Mortheim memories.

62B1CF84-5799-461A-A109-845E8ED13CC1.jpeg

3FA11CC0-9B57-472C-A7A9-6CCCF013B508.jpeg

• Like 6