Being musician and standard bearer

Gorthor21

54 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

I don't get the fuzz.

The rule says: 1 in every 5 models.

That's it. Not even specifying which model, just that you chose 1 out of 5

What you guys write in here, is pure fantasy and opinions but we play the rules as written and not how we want it to be.

You could even have the unit champion have the banner and the horn. No idea where the problem is.

You’re right when you look at it like that. People still have the idea of the command group from Warhammer fantasy in their minds when they thing about it.

one person even said they couldn’t think of any historical precedent for it even though it could have been done in the past despite we in the modern day not knowing about it.  Given desperate times or to draw attention to a banner for commands to be given I’d say the horn in question didn’t have much of a range as a musical instrument.

at the end of the day folks with be as they are and it is safer to just make them all separate models instead incase your opponent acts like a few have suggested and walk away because of a model being two things at once.  I will make a separate musician and standard bearer because I found a solution I like and to be honest I am one of those people who like the old command group look that kind of anchors the whole blob of models together.

31 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

You’re right when you look at it like that. People still have the idea of the command group from Warhammer fantasy in their minds when they thing about it.

This is true, but its not the only factor. It's the lack of visualising it as well.

Sure your champion can also play the instrument and carry the banner - in the rules. Visually on the table it just looks wrong. It's the same as having units of 15 models with 3 banners fluttering in the wind. There's a few armies where some things might work - eg I can see nurgle getting away with multiple musicians in some units. But give me 30 DoK Witch Aelves and I don't think they look good with 3 banners, they look better with 1. 

In the end the point is somewhat moot since the player removes the models themselves when taking damage and most of the time you can pick from most of the unit. Furthermore attachments like that don't stack bonuses, its just a flat "have or have not" bonus. So you can often keep the one musician and one banner around. 

Personally I'd rather that units had 1 of each as a unique model and that if that model is slain another unit then another unit picks up the banner/horn and you simply swap the model in the unit. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

This is true, but its not the only factor. It's the lack of visualising it as well.

Sure your champion can also play the instrument and carry the banner - in the rules. Visually on the table it just looks wrong. It's the same as having units of 15 models with 3 banners fluttering in the wind. There's a few armies where some things might work - eg I can see nurgle getting away with multiple musicians in some units. But give me 30 DoK Witch Aelves and I don't think they look good with 3 banners, they look better with 1. 

In the end the point is somewhat moot since the player removes the models themselves when taking damage and most of the time you can pick from most of the unit. Furthermore attachments like that don't stack bonuses, its just a flat "have or have not" bonus. So you can often keep the one musician and one banner around. 

Personally I'd rather that units had 1 of each as a unique model and that if that model is slain another unit then another unit picks up the banner/horn and you simply swap the model in the unit. 

Like how the special weapons in warmachine  work?  Do they still operate like that anymore?  It’s been quite a while since I’ve looked at the core rules for those games.