The Painting Contract - September 2020

TheOtherJosh

Hello folks and welcome to the Painting Contract for September 2020!

If you don't know the rules they are:

Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age Of Sigmar, Warcry, Blood Bowl, Blitz Bowl, Warhammer Underworlds, Warhammer Quest Silver Tower / Shadows Over Hammerhal, or Gorechosen.

On the 28th of the month the contract closes and you can then post your progress images so that they can be critiqued, shared and boasted about. It is a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone share their progress!

Enjoy!

@Mohojoe@TheOtherJosh & special thanks to @Kramer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This month I'm gonna switch sides and paint mostly Stormcast. I'll be cautious, because I still haven't got the method to paint them quickly. So:

• Lord Executioner (in last month's pledge but the shipment didn't arrive on time)
  • Lord Arcanum on gryph charger
  • 3 x Castigators

As a stretch, time permitting:

• 1 x gryph-hound
  • 1 prosecutor
  • more castigators

Let's see how far I reach!

• Like 1

I haven't joined the contract in awhile now, but I pledge the following this September:

Fantasy

3 Rockgut troggoths

10 squigs

2 herders

60+ grots

an orc blood bowl team

20 tomb/grave guard

20 skeletons

5 tomb/wight kings

3 necropolis stalkers

one liege-kavalos

2 snazz wagon

1 squigbuggy 

a bunch of cultists.

fortunately I have been working on most of these during the past two months so this should be doable.

• LOVE IT! 1

Acquired a DoK army from a friend. Lots of work to do on it.

fVFmpDI.jpg

Invested in a new line of paints.

ztU37cl.jpg

EKWCbhB.jpg

Tested my current lumineth paint scheme with the new paints + vallejo washes and I think its come out very well so far! It's at the base / wash stage at the moment.

vlygHSS.jpg

cur2g4K.jpg

gGAUv8E.jpg

A few more highlights!

ResCP4I.jpg

kZbHJT6.jpg

QLkJeQI.jpg

BFG28lF.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Last month I pretty much laid a goose egg and this month school starts (which means early mornings and late nights with AP's and whatnot *sigh*) so I'm not pledging to finish any models. I WILL however be pledging this:

I, ogarrah, solemnly swear that I will paint for at least 30 minutes every day, homework, chores and baseball be danged.

It'll be interesting to see if I can get anything done

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

85% finished this Warden I'm working on. Successfully managed to translate my scheme with about 90% new paint usage while the other 10% remains GW. 

Still needs just a bit of cleanup in certain areas. I also attempted a new strategy for highlighting the skin.

Only drawback is kind of the shield, the light grey I used didn't really want to play nice lol. But, it did go onto the armor quite well.

2HotFgN.jpg

SEZJYc9.jpg

h3pzdfd.jpg

RzeWHIl.jpg

• Like 2

@LuminethMage There's a couple of reasons. #1 is because of the airbrush, these have a great reputation for being airbrushed and getting better with it is something I wanted to practice with. 2# I wanted some brighter, more saturated colors to use in tandem with the GW paints, so I haven't excluded the GW paints, I still have them. 3#, wanted to see if I could find an easier way to highlight the armor, as pallid wych flesh can be tricky to work with sometimes. That being said, this is what's causing the headache. Actually, transferring my scheme with the new paints has gone really smooth, wasn't too bad. I just need to figure out these light greys and off-whites, ha-ha.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

@LuminethMage There's a couple of reasons. #1 is because of the airbrush, these have a great reputation for being airbrushed and getting better with it is something I wanted to practice with. 2# I wanted some brighter, more saturated colors to use in tandem with the GW paints, so I haven't excluded the GW paints, I still have them. 3#, wanted to see if I could find an easier way to highlight the armor, as pallid wych flesh can be tricky to work with sometimes. That being said, this is what's causing the headache. Actually, transferring my scheme with the new paints has gone really smooth, wasn't too bad. I just need to figure out these light greys and off-whites, ha-ha.

Is see, I just started really getting back into the hobby, so changing the paints in between sounds, scary lol. Great, that it worked out for you!

Experimental test base finished!

In the Age of Glories, long before the spiraling descent of the Spirefall, our God Teclis terraformed these verdant moorlands into a realm of levitating mountain paradises.

Ayrathia - The Coalition of the Summersea Mountains... Generations have passed since the Spirefall, and Ayrathia has long since forgotten peace and prosperity.

Several of the Summersea Princedoms endure even in the Age of Sigmar... have you ever seen the Dawnrider Knights gallop at full tilt across the broken moorlands of their shattered realm? The golden sunlight strikes their plate armor and their steeds' barding as if annointed by the Zenithal Avatars of Hysh.

To watch their legions sally forth is to witness the splendor of the Realm-Lords. It is to behold true glories.

nFIz1Ct.jpg

FDHv1W5.jpg

sLUN1w6.jpg

SUFkEBl.jpg

LkuhkN7.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

hang on, I thought I had pledged? Oh well, in any case I pledge Warden King Thorast Ironbones, leader of the Dwarfs of the Red Sun, sent to reclaim the lost desert holds of Shyish. As well as that I also pledge to finish assembling my ironclad and maybe paint its crew.

For this month I pledge to finish 30 Grimghast Reapers, finish 5 Dragon Princes that I painted years ago(blood knights) as well as basecoat 5 more Dragon Princes (Blood knight proxies) that I just bought. If I feel good I might also rebase 10 Grave Guard to round bases and start painting these.

Edited by KratosvonCarstein

Didn't paint the terrain, but it came in through the mail and thought it was awesome. So I wanted to share it!

Also, 15 Dawnriders on the sprue came in the mail as well. I assembled two of them yesterday! At the moment I need to assemble 13 Dawnriders and 6 Wardens to have 30 Pikes and 20 Cav. I know others think the Dawnrider kit is extremely frustrating, but I'm honestly not finding it too bad, I think I can paint 20 of them. (famous last words 😜)

Nb5odDG.jpg

SWc6TaK.jpg

ZaVoX6p.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

These Ogres are largely finished, just need the bases and transfers. The Snotling in the hand hasn't been done yet as I haven't decided the colour scheme for them, need to do a test model first. I'm pretty happy with how these turned out, the black and blue kit, and the ginger hair seems to work quite well. Snotlings are next.

20200911_140214.jpg

20200911_140243.jpg

• Like 3