Looking To Start IDK, I have a few questions

SirSalabean

Hi there,

so I’m looking to get the Idoneth Deepkin start collecting, however I have a few questions.

1) where do I go from there? I only have lots of experience in painting and haven’t actually played before, that’s the main reason for idoneth but I would like to play.

2) What enclave do I choose? Do I have to paint it to match the enclave? 

3) When are they likely to get new models/battletome, I understand they don’t have endless spells, although they are fairly new.

kind regards,

Salabean 

Hey there, and congratulations on making one of the hardest choices in AOS, which army to start with (as so many are amazing)

1) when I start a new army (and as I did when I started IDK a few years ago) I like to plan out 1000, 1500 and 2000 point lists as a goal to collect towards. Don't worry overly much about competitiveness. People will tell you that only eels are competitive, but I've had great success in my local campaigns and tournaments using pretty much every warscroll in the book. My advice when coming up with a "list" to build/collect towards is what models inspire you, which ones you think would be most fun to model and paint. From there an army should start to form and the next choices become even easier. 

2) This depends heavily on which models you want to play with, as different enclaves do better with different units, Ionrach is great for caster heavy armies, Morphan for Namartii. However, My personal favorite is Nautillar, its a very defensive enclave and it pairs well with IDK tides of death, and defensive, IShlean Guard Eels. I like it, because compared to many enclaves which are only useful in some niche situations, getting a flat reroll to hits when a unit gets charged is huge, and really is an easy to remember force multiplier. 

AOS isn't as restrictive as 40k in needing armies painted to match subfactions, paint the miniatures how you like, and they can fit in any enclave.

3) IDK are one of the next books expected to be updated, as they are one of the oldest left currently. (Its Maggotkin of Nurgle, Legions of Nagash, Daughters of Khain and IDK in that order). Considering that Daughters are getting a huge update this fall with the new broken realms book, new warbands and a new hero mini, it seems likely that an IDK update is due within the next year. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a bunch of new models, but a new hero, an Underworlds warband and endless spells seem very likely considering GWs release trend.

6 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Hey there, and congratulations on making one of the hardest choices in AOS, which army to start with (as so many are amazing)

1) when I start a new army (and as I did when I started IDK a few years ago) I like to plan out 1000, 1500 and 2000 point lists as a goal to collect towards. Don't worry overly much about competitiveness. People will tell you that only eels are competitive, but I've had great success in my local campaigns and tournaments using pretty much every warscroll in the book. My advice when coming up with a "list" to build/collect towards is what models inspire you, which ones you think would be most fun to model and paint. From there an army should start to form and the next choices become even easier. 

2) This depends heavily on which models you want to play with, as different enclaves do better with different units, Ionrach is great for caster heavy armies, Morphan for Namartii. However, My personal favorite is Nautillar, its a very defensive enclave and it pairs well with IDK tides of death, and defensive, IShlean Guard Eels. I like it, because compared to many enclaves which are only useful in some niche situations, getting a flat reroll to hits when a unit gets charged is huge, and really is an easy to remember force multiplier. 

AOS isn't as restrictive as 40k in needing armies painted to match subfactions, paint the miniatures how you like, and they can fit in any enclave.

3) IDK are one of the next books expected to be updated, as they are one of the oldest left currently. (Its Maggotkin of Nurgle, Legions of Nagash, Daughters of Khain and IDK in that order). Considering that Daughters are getting a huge update this fall with the new broken realms book, new warbands and a new hero mini, it seems likely that an IDK update is due within the next year. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a bunch of new models, but a new hero, an Underworlds warband and endless spells seem very likely considering GWs release trend.

Thank you so so much!! This is perfect and well in-depth. I mainly want to go IDK as I love the models and I am experienced at painting so it’s been an army I’ve been itching to paint. In terms of which units I’ll get I’m not sure, I’ve ordered the battleforce and start collecting so that’s:

6 x Eels

2 x Sharks

2 x Thralls

1 x Reavers

1 x Tidecaster

1 x Soulrender

The models that interest me most are the creatures. I will end up getting one of everything I think but I love the leviadon.

Im glad to hear they are on the list to be updated as I was confused why they didn’t have endless spells, their hero might be the crab claw from the rumour engine.

thank you so much!!