Pseudonyme’s Non-playable warband AI Warcry add-on

pseudonyme

Pseudonyme’s

NON-PLAYABLE WARBAND AI WARCRY ADD-ON

(for chaotic beasts and other mindless hordes)

Dear fellow wargamers,

The goal of this add-on is to add a simple AI to control a Non-Playable Warband (referred as NPW in the rest of the ruleset), to control chaotic beasts and other mindless hordes (Squigs, ghouls, ghosts….) in your regular games of Warcry. In addition to the AI, each NPW has their own specific rules to add flavor and hopefully « fun ».

This add-on is aimed at people who only have 1 friend who has only 1 warband, for people who wants to use models they shelved for whatever reasons and for people like me who are always looking for an excuse to buy more minis.

DISCLAIMER

This entire rule set might content traces of sarcasm and trolling. Please take everything personally.

Also, english is not my first language, so if you have any suggestions on phrasing, please comment on this topic.

WHY THIS ADD-ON

When I first read the chaotic beast rules of activation, I was rather disappointed because it was just giving another option to the players, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I’d have rather preferred something uncontrollable, the game itself trying to decimate both players.

This idea came to mind after transposing multiplayer deployment for 3 players and reading an AoS White dwarf battleplan with an AI for Troggoths. And because I played Zombicide Black Plague, I came to the conclusion that there should be a simple way to do an AI for at least the non-human non leader models.

WHAT THIS ADD-ON IS NOT

A solo mode for Warcry. Yes, the following rules could be easily adapted in a survival mode with the maximum of turns to survive / maximum enemy waves to kill, but this is not the intent. A full solo/coop would require more in depth AI, at least to control the leaders and specific scenarios (Warhammer quest in a sense) and specific victory conditions.

Ok, ok, ok. If you really insist, the specific scenarios at the end could be played solo or cooperatively with a couple of tweaks here and there, that might appear in a future version of this ruleset.

Pseudonyme NPW Warcry AI add-on.pdf

Edited by pseudonyme
File upload

3 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

This add-on is aimed at people who only have 1 friend who has only 1 warband, for people who wants to use models they shelved for whatever reasons and for people like me who are always looking for an excuse to buy more minis.

Sooo... everyone in every warhammer message board ever? Love the idea, will give them a read through today and try to test them out with my kids this evening I’d considered something similar inspired by the asteroid rules in a full thrust book combined with silver tower’s AI but never got further than “hey, could I do this?”. Have a hurricane bearing down on my area tomorrow so have to do some prep around here first though. Play tests will have to wait until we’re finished. One question while I’m at it though. In your FAQ at the end you mention “Doug’s 2+ Tough Warcry Add-On”, what is this add on? I’ve never heard of it so could you either summarize it or post a link (tried a google search but didn’t find anything)?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear @Lior'Lec, did you finally try it? Do you have any feedback to share?

As for solo rules, I did not try Doug 2+Tough ruleset, but for Animosity 2, I played a couple of solo games just by impersonating both players. I carefully chose asymetric victory conditions as I wanted to tell the story of my warband in the context of the campaign. That was fun and I only cheated once :D

On 9/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, Lior'Lec said:

@pseudonyme, sorry but I can’t do anything for the foreseeable future. We were hit pretty hard (devastated) by Laura a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve got a ton of work and repairs to do on my home (plus my yard, and then my hobby shed) before I’ll be able to get back into hobbies. 

Yeah, sure. Sorry to hear that. Hope you and your family are ok. Take care.