Nurgle's Rot and Virulent Discharge Wording

FullMetalRPG

So I having been looking at the wording on both Nurgle's Rot on the Lord of Plagues and Virulent Discharge on the Blightkings.

It seems to me that the wording on Nurgle's Rot indicates that it does not stack with other instances of Nurgles's Rot in range. Like, you only roll for it once per effected unit.

Virulent Discharge on the other hand seems to pretty clearly indicate that it goes off once for each unit of origin in range, so it would stack and you'd have the potential of rolling multiple dice per unit in range.

This is, I imagine, why the two abilities have different names and wordings since they are otherwise very similar.

I have noticed however some of my fellow Rotbringers taking multiple rolls for Nurgle's Rot on the same unit.

Am I wrong on my reading of this? It seems clear in my mind, but I'm having difficulty explaining it to my fellow players. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and they both stack! Let me know your thoughts!

If ( for some reason ) he is your general and uses this ability, if you cast it on a unit (or single model ) every unit (or single model )within range of the unit targeted, rolls.

The blightking one does indeed stack, if you have 3 units infront of your lord, all with a model within range of him. he would roll 3 times, the middle unit would also roll 3 times and the two side units twice .

If your opponent has a unit within range of two blightking units, they would roll twice 

It seems like Nurgle's rot is a specific disease, very strong and peculiar in its ability to not only rot the flesh but also the soul. So either you have been infected or not. So regardless how many sources of contagion there is around the victim the victim only suffers D3 Mortal Wounds.
(As Arkiham says, whole units can have the Nurgle's rot ability via the Grandfather's gift, and Nurgle's rot says " within 3'' of any models with this ability". So if it does indeed stack than it would be 20 stackings for a chaos marauder unit of 20 models with Nurgle's rot)

The Virulent Discharge seem to be some kind of plague cocktail that explode around the blightkings, infecting nearby victims with all kinds of bad things. Each such discharge seem to affect the victim independently.

Yeah that's how I thought that each one of those read respectively. After I met this guy who was rolling twice for Nurgle's Rot I just wanted to make sure that I had it right. Thanks guys!

In the meantime I don't know if I'll be able to explain it to the dude down at the FLGS. Any advise on how to word this so it makes sense to him?

actually..

i've just re-read the lord of plagues scroll. 

it does seem you can have multiple instances of it. 

the guy himself has nurgles rot on himself. ( so people within 3" of him are affected by nurgles rot ) and he can cast the ability nurgles rot on another  unit. 

but. its a 1 in 6 chance, so.. meh!

if it was a 4+ then the guy might be worth considering. 

@Arkiham Dude, I totally feel you! Nurgle's Rot is a pretty garbage Command Ability. Most of the time it does a chubby fat lot of nothing. I've been running a Lord of Plagues because I haven't been able to get my hands on a Harbinger of Decay.

But my Harbinger is supposed to be down at the shop on Friday and after that I don't think i have much use for my Lord anymore. Which is a bummer because I put some time into converting him and he looks pretty good on the table. But his crappy abilities and lackluster output will not be missed. I'd rather have another Chaos Sorcerer.

Personally, I think that if Rotbringers want to be a competitive list, and I'm not saying that they have to be, there's plenty of ways to play that aren't about throat slashing competition, then the first thing they need is to make Nurgle's Rot and Virulent Discharge go off on a 4.

Then they need to find me some shooting that doesn't make my Blightkings non-Battleline...

13 hours ago, FullMetalRPG said:

Yeah that's how I thought that each one of those read respectively. After I met this guy who was rolling twice for Nurgle's Rot I just wanted to make sure that I had it right. Thanks guys!

In the meantime I don't know if I'll be able to explain it to the dude down at the FLGS. Any advise on how to word this so it makes sense to him?

The use of "any" in the wording is the key here.

"In your hero phase, roll a dice for each unit within 3" of any models with this ability"

Just one dice, regardless of how many models with the ability are within 3" of the unit. Even if multiple units of models with Nurgle's Rot are within 3" of the unit you're rolling for, you still only roll once.

Archived