Skaven strategies (as beastmen allies)

Blackspine

Hey all!

I'm working on a list and building the models that I need to round it out. It's designed as a mostly objective stealing list with some punch. It's centered around beastmen as the anvil/ tar pit with skaven providing the ranged punch they don't have, as well as augmenting any fighting force.

I'm new to skaven, in particular to Storm Friends (yes, friends) and wanted to know how they perform or any well versed tactics. 

Here's the list:

• Leaders:
  • Beast Lord (axe & shield)
  • Arch warlock
  • Skaven warlord (tbd)

• Units
  • Gors x 20  (beastshields)
  • Ungors x 30 (spears & shields)
  • Gors x 10 (shields)
  • Bestigors x 20 
  • Warpfire thrower weapon team 
  • Warpfire thrower weapon team 
  • Storm Vermin x 30
  • Storm Fiends x 3 (weapon assortment??)
  • Warplock Jezzails x 3

So, there's no giant monster that I'm used to, but there are a TON of wounds.  My thought is that the beasts move forward, claim objectives and tie up any threats. Bestigors and Storm vermin can hammer on the units I choose. 

W so many warp fire throwers, I can assure that I'll outnumber people with the storm vermin.

I would like to fit in giant rats or warhounds , (rats are cheaper) but not sure what to drop or if they're redundant due to beastmen's speed. I can toss 10 gors under a stonehorn bus and not blink. 

Not sure if Storm Friends are frontline once the shooting is done or if i should protect them at all. Obviously not tossing them into a meat grinder. 

any skaven advice or what have you is appreciated.

Thanks!

(ps: i REALLY miss having monsters. doh)

15 hours ago, Blackspine said:

Not sure if Storm Friends are frontline once the shooting is done or if i should protect them at all. Obviously not tossing them into a meat grinder. 

I've got a unit of 3 stormfiends that I run as Ratling guns, Warpfire projectors and Doomflayer gauntlets. After playing with them a few times, I would prefer to put warpfire projectors on all 3 of them. (Unless you're willing to convert the models means buying another 2 boxes).

If they've got ranged weapons you don't really want them in combat, unless they're trying to finish of chaff infantry. The damage 2 is alright, but they don't have rend so they end up being a bit pillow-fisted against anything with armor. Keep them behind another thin screen so they can shoot, and don't forget you can shoot even if you're in combat.

With the weapons teams you've got, I like the warp fire throwers in theory but in practice it's a bit weak. I think stormfiends are just plain better at that role, 2d3 mortal wounds beats 1d6 with the chance to explode. I've been running 3-4 ratling gun teams in a few games now, always using the extra shots, and they are amazing. They've got enough range that they can sit behind your screen of ungors and just churn out wounds over a round or two.

Thanks for the advice! it's much appreciated.

I don't mind conversions, much, plus around here it's not strict wysiwyg. Are the combat storm friends worth their hefty investment? 

I'll try out the ratling guns. 

On the same note of behind a screen and shooting, are globadiers worth it?

Jezzails, I imagine they're just a ranged threat that will plink away and need to be dealt with. 

Archived