What would you like to see for 3rd edition?

43 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

They are Age of Sigmars marines I reckon they will probably be in all of them

I hope not.

I’d hate to see stormcast getting better rules, better models, for the next 20-30years, before the skaven get extinct, with their almost 100year old, never updated since models.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

To be honest, on the Stormcast topic, I'm not sure if they will become the AoS Marine equivalent. They are popular and they are on all promotion materials, but I don't think they have anywhere near the same pull as marines.

I think marines' popularity came from buildup and being the main faction for over 30 years of GW most popular IP. Stormcast, upon release, did not seem anywhere as near as universally liked. Not just from the haters (who probably wouldn't like anything at that time), but just from the general community (not that they were widely disliked, but just not a massive success either). Unlike 40k, which by now I believe is stuck with marine overload forever, Fantasy (and by continuation AoS) has had a massive variety of favourite factions and so it's not as susceptible to having one major flagship faction.

From what I understand, Space Marines were added during 40k's infancy, and while it was the futuristic version of Fantasy it was by and large its own game and had its own unique lineup (moreso than AoS compared to Fantasy, which carried over armies). Marines came in fresh and were an instant hit, which is a very different environment to when Stormcast was released.  SCE, on the other hand, would have to prove themselves over the old fan favourites, stand out amongst a massive pre-existing roster (and the general consensus is the first wave of models was the weakest), and battle against AoS's rocky start. While they have got a lot of promotion materials, these have reduced in frequency and the majority of duel boxes are Stormcast free (compared to 40k's Psychic Awakening which had 5/10 boxes including loyalist space marines, compared to 1/7 of AoS 2 boxes (may have forgotten some)). 

While I don't have GW's specific financials, I think it's very safe to say that SCE don't dominate in the same way that marines do. If they did, they would be included a lot more in special boxes and have more releases (just look at the treatment of marines if you don't believe me on saturation of releases). 

So how does this relate to AoS 3e and the current discussion? Well, I personally don't think there's an overwhelming chance that AoS 3e will have Stormcast in their starter set. With the focus on aelves and Slaanesh's escape, I think aelves (of some variety) and Slaanesh will be the main forces and drivers in the narrative.  Unlike marines, I think GW have proven that they're not focussed on forcing a Stormcast release at every available opportunity. 

And finally, I think this is a great thing. No matter the faction, no one army should be as overwhelming as Marines are in 40k. AoS has a blessing that you don't feel like playing a side character if you don't play SCE - all factions are updated (with SCE being one of the least updated) and have cool parts in the lore. To add to this, when you turn up for a game you are blessed with the fact your selection will be larger than  a number different coloured Stormcast armies. If anything, I'd be feeling jealous if I was an exclusive 40k fan.

Tl;dr SCE aren't as overwhelmingly popular as marines despite GW's efforts and I don't think they're super likely to be in the AoS 3e box. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

It not all about popularity though, Keep in mind that Stormcast are purposely design for newer players in mind with both how bulky they are and easier to paint which makes them specifically good as a starter set army. Combine with the fact that they are the poster boy army and the default good guys of the setting, they fit the ball as the starter army for the general customer base.

I get that people want to be optimistic of GW doing something different but SCE chance that they are starter set is on the very likely chance

14 hours ago, novakai said:

It not all about popularity though, Keep in mind that Stormcast are purposely design for newer players in mind with both how bulky they are and easier to paint which makes them specifically good as a starter set army. Combine with the fact that they are the poster boy army and the default good guys of the setting, they fit the ball as the starter army for the general customer base.

I get that people want to be optimistic of GW doing something different but SCE chance that they are starter set is on the very likely chance

Despite the easy painting fact and then being the heroes and all that, they are still deceptively difficult to play well. At first glance, it looks like you can do anything with the faction, mainly making a cool elite melee fighting force with dragons and cavalry, while its actually a magic and/or shooting army.

14 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Despite the easy painting fact and then being the heroes and all that, they are still deceptively difficult to play well. At first glance, it looks like you can do anything with the faction, mainly making a cool elite melee fighting force with dragons and cavalry, while its actually a magic and/or shooting army.

That's their rules. With new editions, I expect at least new rules for our banana boys.

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

That's their rules. With new editions, I expect at least new rules for our banana boys.

Especially considering their current rules are a lopsided mishmash of nonsense that functions more like 3 armies glued together than as one cohesive force.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belper said:

Especially considering their current rules are a lopsided mishmash of nonsense that functions more like 3 armies glued together than as one cohesive force.

I think that's the peak of the iceberg (Ogor Mawtribes has something like that too). But even ignoring that fact, the language used in a lot of the warscrolls or abilities seems a bit off: "within/wholly within", some prayers on 4+, a prayer roll to do a unbind roll, ...

I expect to see some changes in the new book like more flexible battalions, stormhosts opening new battlelines, new wording, better/ fun abilities for the army (Scions of the Storm and Shoke and Awe seesm to eb the same ability... I think that SCE deserve more fun and interactive rules than that), etc...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, EMMachine said:

I understand the idea that device driven rules would be easier to update and would have less spreading between books, but only have online rules isn't a solution. It would only work when the rules are free to download, not with only an App where you maybe have to pay subscription and only getting the uptodate version or maybe nothing when the game gets discontinued.

In the end maybe 9th age with their free pdfs would be more likely your cup of tea?

Well yeah, this stems to my thought process of rules being something that should be available for free.

We pay for the models. Fantastic models, but that should be the cost of entry. Paying for rules, printed rules at that, is unpalatable for me.

I'm not getting into the gaming side of this hobby until they completely overhaul that side of their business. So much easier to just play video games and keep my hobby to collecting and painting only.

Edited by 123lac
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:22 PM, Overread said:

I think some of the dislike of printed material isn't so much a hate of books its a hate of GW's current "here's the core rules - and an army book - and an expansion book - and an expansion book - and a core rules and expansion and points update book" Then we'll repeat all teh expansion books next year and next year etc...

Basically its the volume of material and the confusion it creates when youv'e perhaps 3 or 4 generals handbooks and you're not even sure which block of optional rules are in the "core" game or not. 

Yeah.

Look at 40k - buy the core rule book ($110 AUD), buy the space marine codex ($70 AUD), buy the ultramarines supplement ($50 AUD), buy chapter approved ($70 AUD).

You've now spent $300 AUD just to play the game, never mind how much you spent on the models.

That's $300 AUD to play the game in its current state. Give it a year or so and you're expected to buy more rules, download erratas and FAQ's, maybe even buy some campaign books just for the bonus rules.

It's insane.

I am wishing for streamlined rules and quicker play in general.

First step would be removing of abilities that allow things to be done in different phases than they were designed for(sry English not at my best right here). For example all this moving/shooting/fighting in hero phase.  This would also make balancing  much easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 123lac said:

Yeah.

Look at 40k - buy the core rule book ($110 AUD), buy the space marine codex ($70 AUD), buy the ultramarines supplement ($50 AUD), buy chapter approved ($70 AUD).

You've now spent $300 AUD just to play the game, never mind how much you spent on the models.

That's $300 AUD to play the game in its current state. Give it a year or so and you're expected to buy more rules, download erratas and FAQ's, maybe even buy some campaign books just for the bonus rules.

It's insane.

Luckily the PDF's are priced fairly. 

Right?

(plot twist, in Europe they are sometimes more expensive than physical books from online retailers, other times about 5-10% cheaper than the physical book )

11 hours ago, 123lac said:

That‘s why I stopped buying the books since before the Raven Guard Supolement.

You are basically buying trash paper which will be worthless within half a year or a full year. This is neither good for your perceived value of said books and rules nor is the environment happy about it. At this point it has become almost like smoking: You could as well ignite your money except Warhammer, usually, does not kill you.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

As someone who likes having books, even rulebooks, to display my dominance, I think buying the books are fine as long as I can keep playing.

I think not playing the game is fine as long as I don't have to worry about rulebooks. I exchanged my copy of the Necromunda rulebook for Snotlings and some paints.

Snotlings make me happier than rules.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:17 AM, novakai said:

Yeah this. SC are very clearly designed to be beginner friendly-big, chunky, multiple but small flat surfaces and otherwise lots of relief scultping for washes, no fiddly bits, hardly any faces- they're the archetype of how to paint something quick with GW's paint system. Also, they're human so the ideal entry point for people new to the Universe in terms of explaining what everything else is.

They arent anything like Space Marines in terms of their ubiquity or centrality to their Universe, but they're obviously designed with a similar purpose commercially speaking

• Like 1