New Cities of Sigmar player

SkoomaSkeeve

Hello! So I just got into Age of Sigmar and chose the Cities of Sigmar as my army. I really like the Wanderers and decided to build my force around them, starting with the battletome, a Nomad Prince, Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders box, a Sisters of the Watch box, and an Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers box. I have a few questions however before I delve further down the rabbit hole:

1. I also really like the Phoenix Temple city and was considering Phoenix Guard and a Flame Phoenix in my army. Would that disrupt the synergy of having units solely from The Wanderers? Also, could the Sisters of the Thorn cast their Shield of Thorns on the Phoenix Guard?

2. I noticed that the Sylvaneth can be 1 in 4 units in a Wanderers army, they also look super cool and fit in nicely with the Wood Elves. Would this option not become available if my army was anything other than entirely Wanderers units? (Such as if I included a unit of Phoenix Guard)

3. Are there any other units anyone can recommend to me that would supplement the Wanderers nicely?

Really stoked to be getting into this hobby, my girlfriend also got a Nighthaunt force based around Lady Olynder and banshees. We are definitely casual players for now but in the future, for sure going to bring our armies to battle at our LGS! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SkoomaSkeeve said:

Hello! So I just got into Age of Sigmar and chose the Cities of Sigmar as my army. I really like the Wanderers and decided to build my force around them, starting with the battletome, a Nomad Prince, Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders box, a Sisters of the Watch box, and an Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers box. I have a few questions however before I delve further down the rabbit hole:

1. I also really like the Phoenix Temple city and was considering Phoenix Guard and a Flame Phoenix in my army. Would that disrupt the synergy of having units solely from The Wanderers? Also, could the Sisters of the Thorn cast their Shield of Thorns on the Phoenix Guard?

2. I noticed that the Sylvaneth can be 1 in 4 units in a Wanderers army, they also look super cool and fit in nicely with the Wood Elves. Would this option not become available if my army was anything other than entirely Wanderers units? (Such as if I included a unit of Phoenix Guard)

3. Are there any other units anyone can recommend to me that would supplement the Wanderers nicely?

Really stoked to be getting into this hobby, my girlfriend also got a Nighthaunt force based around Lady Olynder and banshees. We are definitely casual players for now but in the future, for sure going to bring our armies to battle at our LGS! 

Welcome! I did exactly like you back in September '19.

You can use all units in the Cities of Sigmar army together. 

1. Your nomad prince does only boost wanderers with it's warscroll command ability, but they could get boosted with the general ones. The spell armor of thorns from the sisters of the thorn does only work on wanderers sadly.

2. That's correct, but only if you play "The living city (that's the one I play). I use Kurnoth Hunters, Spirit of Durthu and a Arch revenant.

3. If you like Phoenix guards, then feel free to get them. You could also get the anointed hero to boost them, if you feel for that. I'm a casual player, so some more experienced players can probably give some good suggestions. I use the ballista from storm cast eternals and find it pretty funny to use with the repeater option. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SkoomaSkeeve said:

The Stormcast Knight-Azyros hero has always been a solid ranged ally choice for Order as his lantern lights up the enemy and give any friendly shooting units a bonus to hit them.

His flying mobility and ability to fry chaos units are also pluses.

Otherwise i'd say study what the Living City gives you. Bulky ambush units, healing units and a defense buffed general means you can definitely make the Phoenix temple work well with the deadly guards surprising foes and your phoenix creatures being healed and keeping their wound chart low and effective, anointed version means a tanky flying magic general option too if your Prince isn't cutting it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, SkoomaSkeeve said:

you should drill down to the Living City and also a little of the Tempest Eye sub-forums.  Wanderers do well in both but are stronger in LC.  They are in the Order/Cities forums if that helps.  

1) PG are good at being defensive and okay at being offensive.  Keep that in mind.  

3) more SotW. 😉  EG are good, Rangers are good (Better vs monsters), Wild Riders are good in 10s.   I Have 70 Sisters of the Watch painted now.  Also think that adding in a big monster with a shooting attack like Durthu, Alarielle, Black Dragon with crossbow, can make good use of the Living City command ability to shoot and move.  Alarielle cannot ambush and do it like Durthu but she moves 16" and Durthu is slow (but the ability overcomes that).  

• Like 1