KO fly high ability when unable to fly

Parmen

Question

I start to play with a kharadron overlord army and I have a question. I played an ironclad and an enemy wizard has cast a spell who give to my ironclad the unabilty to fly.  I understand that I can t fly over scenaries but can I still use the fly high ability.?? Thx for your answer. 

11 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Parmen said:

I start to play with a kharadron overlord army and I have a question. I played an ironclad and an enemy wizard has cast a spell who give to my ironclad the unabilty to fly.  I understand that I can t fly over scenaries but can I still use the fly high ability.?? Thx for your answer. 

Yes, fly high is different ability.

Just now, Mcthew said:

You are kidding? How does the skyvessel get there then? Is beamed up? Someone on board taps a pair of ruby slippers together? No wait - they use magic... 😂

And how does the ship move when it cant fly? Scrapping over the ground?
Obviously, the game requires a certain kind of abstraction. Point is, your argument that the ship cant use the fly high ability is not based on any rules. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mcthew said:

The FAQ states:

Q: If an ability or spell stops another unit from being able to fly, does this stop that unit from being able to move at all? A: No, it simply means that the Flying rules do not apply to  it.

The Fly High ability states this is a 'fly' ability and so is governed by the Flying rules. As a Kharadron player too, yep this kinda sucks.

It’s not a ‘fly’ ability though is it? It’s a redeploy, you set up the unit elsewhere on the table. I get that in your head it’s flying but when it comes to the rules there’s no reason you can’t use high fly if you can longer fly. It literally says “instead of a normal move” do x instead. 

Edited by Jackroks981
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcthew said:

Warscroll abilities are defined as part of AoS rules. Any rule therefore defined as 'fly' or 'flying,' regardless if it is a trait, ability, artefact or spell is governed by 'flying rules.' If Flying High was called 'Soaring' 'Levitating,' 'Floating' High, then sure this could be argued as not affecting based on semantics.

Warscroll states (underlined the important bit):

Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than 7 wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models.

There is no hyphen in this ability. It is clearly governed by the fact it enables the unit to 'fly'.  And as it stands the FAQ is very clear on abilities or spells stopping a unit from doing so.

You are arttributing a specific rule ‘Fly’ to one word of a two word rule title. The ability is called ‘fly high’. So in this example you should have underlined the whole two word title. So it can ‘fly high’. 
Fly is a specific ability that applies to a move. ‘Fly high’ is not a move, so preventing ‘Fly’ doesn’t effect the ability ‘fly high’. 
two separate things. Even if they both include the word fly. 😁

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mcthew said:

The FAQ states:

Q: If an ability or spell stops another unit from being able to fly, does this stop that unit from being able to move at all? A: No, it simply means that the Flying rules do not apply to  it.

The Fly High ability states this is a 'fly' ability and so is governed by the Flying rules. As a Kharadron player too, yep this kinda sucks.

And where does it state that?

13 hours ago, Mcthew said:

The FAQ states:

Im sorry, but the Flying high ability doesnt state at any point that its related to "flying" as defined in the core rules. A unit that can fly can move over terrain and other units. An ability deactivating "fly" results in the affected unit not being able to move over terrain or units. 

A skyvessel that flies high doesnt move over anything. It gets removed from the table and set up 9" from any enemy unit. Any mention of fly in the text is strictly for flavor.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Parmen said:

The FAQ states:

2 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Im sorry, but the Flying high ability doesnt state at any point that its related to "flying" as defined in the core rules. A unit that can fly can move over terrain and other units. An ability deactivating "fly" results in the affected unit not being able to move over terrain or units. 

A skyvessel that flies high doesnt move over anything. It gets removed from the table and set up 9" from any enemy unit. Any mention of fly in the text is strictly for flavor.

You are kidding? How does the skyvessel get there then? Is beamed up? Someone on board taps a pair of ruby slippers together? No wait - they use magic... 😂

4 hours ago, Boar said:

And where does it state that?

Warscroll abilities are defined as part of AoS rules. Any rule therefore defined as 'fly' or 'flying,' regardless if it is a trait, ability, artefact or spell is governed by 'flying rules.' If Flying High was called 'Soaring' 'Levitating,' 'Floating' High, then sure this could be argued as not affecting based on semantics.

Warscroll states (underlined the important bit):

Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than 7 wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models.

There is no hyphen in this ability. It is clearly governed by the fact it enables the unit to 'fly'.  And as it stands the FAQ is very clear on abilities or spells stopping a unit from doing so.

Edited by Mcthew

37 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

And how does the ship move when it cant fly? Scrapping over the ground?
Obviously, the game requires a certain kind of abstraction. Point is, your argument that the ship cant use the fly high ability is not based on any rules. 

So I guess the Darkest Depth (Tunnel battleplans) in the Core Book requires an abstraction where Skyvessels can travel through solid rock and then materialise again somewhere down the tunnel. Wow. Now that's what I call mining! 🤣

Edited by Mcthew