Counter Idoneth Eels

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice to help me counter a very eel heavy Idoneth Deepkin list. I am currently playing Stormcast Eternals against an Idoneth player who insist on using all 18 of his eels at once. Currently, I see no way around this aside from using the artefact on characters that forces flying units to re-roll successful hits. Has anyone had any luck countering these eel spam lists?

30 minutes ago, SeaWolf141 said:

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice to help me counter a very eel heavy Idoneth Deepkin list. I am currently playing Stormcast Eternals against an Idoneth player who insist on using all 18 of his eels at once. Currently, I see no way around this aside from using the artefact on characters that forces flying units to re-roll successful hits. Has anyone had any luck countering these eel spam lists?

Say hello to my 380Clanrat List.

Eel spam is tough, the key to their game is using the tides so I feel the you need to control play and prevent them striking with the tides the way they would like. Aetherwings feel like a must to disrupt charges and prevent your best units being minced in the 3rd round. You will definitely outgun them but remember you always have to shoot the closest unit so you won't necessarily get to shoot where you need when you need. 

Bringing a prime to drop turn 1 or kroak and using their ability to drop mortal wounds wherever you want seems like it could be a game changer. Using comets to remove Volturnos (im assuming he plays him) while holding up the eels with aetherwings might be your best bet. 

Stormcast are actually pretty well equipped to deal with eels.

Best bet is to deepstrike as much as possible and Surcharge the eels on turn 2 after they have lost their cover bonus. They can still shock you but they lose a lot of their punch if they get charged. The key is to kill as many Morrsarr as possible before turn 3 (high tide) happens.

Also consider deepstriking  ballistas or longstrikes. This may seem like a goofy idea but note that this is a great way to position shooty units  in a way that makes targeting eels possible. 

Putting shooty units right in their face will also have the benefit of making the opponent  choose between ignoring them or wasting resources on killing them since Deepkin generally lack an efficient way to deal with things at range. 

Also keep in mind that eel spam lists are really low model count. If you can put a lot of bodies on the board you can put enough pressure on him VP wise that he has to commit earlier than he'd like or risk falling too far behind on VP (at least in certain missions). This may not help much for Stormcast, but for many other factions it can work well.