Vampire Lord on Abyssal count-as

kozokus

Yeah - what you're saying is to have a Mannfred on a Dread Abyssal as a generic Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror. Yes absolutely fine with me. Only the pedantic would object. I converted my own Abyssal Terror. 

Mannfred and the other Mortarchs are quite meh now that they cannot be general without sacrificing a command trait (i.e. the amazing 5+ ward save bubble).

Mannfred and co are named heroes, so you cannot give them a command trait or an artefact. This is a big deal as you would only take Mannfred if you were planning to use him as general as his command ability is so good.

Death have hands down the best command trait - 5+ ward save bubble - and good artefacts, so losing the command trait is a big deal. It has neutered Death's longstanding advantage of having the best named characters. Everyone is homing in on the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon as the general or the Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon if playing Flesh Eaters. Settra is still a boss though!

Err the thing is Aybssal terror and Dread Aybssal are actually different. A abyssal terror is pretty much a undead peagsus monster. It does not really fit considering the Mortarch's are riding a dread abyssal which is a undead monster construct that is much more large than the Abyssal terror model. 

I converted my my own like nico. 

Still it's up to your opponent.  

33 minutes ago, shinros said:

Err the thing is Aybssal terror and Dread Aybssal are actually different. A abyssal terror is pretty much a undead peagsus monster.

But they are Abyssal both :D

To be exact, the abyssal terror is an undead monster construct too and looks like a winged dinosaur rather than a pegasus :/.

I can't thing of something that could suit better.

24 minutes ago, kozokus said:

But they are Abyssal both :D

To be exact, the abyssal terror is an undead monster construct too and looks like a winged dinosaur rather than a pegasus :/.

I can't thing of something that could suit better.

Well fluff wise it's meant to be some undead peagsus monstrosity. Still do remember it's quite a poor model and an old one, I do hope when they update vampires we get a new one. Since I feel he is the best "generic" vampire general. 

Abyssal Terrors were made out of bits of the carcasses of flying beasts, rearranged and given extra sharp bits to make them suit the individual creators' needs and whims. There were two models made of them, both quite different, and they were never meant to be something with any standardization. The warscroll depicts the second model, which is weird and vaguely reptillian - iirc the first one was too, but less saurian and more batlike. Neither were very good minis, and they were so small their riders sat awkwardly on their necks in a way that looked ridiculous.

The pegasus is an interesting point of comparison, because the first Terror was about the same size mini-wise, but an undead pegasus already existed (the Winged Nightmare, for which there was never a model).

Either way, while the Dread Abyssal is bigger than the Terror was ever intended to be, I'd be fine with it being proxied as one. I hope the Terror comes back someday, but I think the Terrorgheist was based on the 6E art of the thing (a huge creepy bat) and replaced it as a concept, while the Dread Abyssal took the other half of the name and some of the composite nature.

You can go big but still stay small for instance my VLoAT is this work in progress.20160824_000612.jpgBig model but he still ahs the 60mm base, and most models can still base to base contact him. If it's a problem i take him off. However, i'm also working on (getting or making) a longer fly stand.

Man mine is a lot more simple I simply got the black knight horse and the vampire lord from the Zombie and kit bashed the wings from the varghiests from it. I like the fact that the black knight horse has spectral trail's coming off it's hooves. I think he looks pretty neat he really hurt my wallet though. D:

Usually I'm quite pedantic about rules, but in this case I think I'd make an exception. I have the Abyssal of Melchior, but sincerly, knowing the availability of the abyssal as miniature and the actual underscale of it, if someone would want to use the dread abissal in it's stead I'd have no complaints. 

Maybe it could be argue about the Mannfred riding it, but also there, till there is no the use of Mannfred itself that could bring confusion I don't see any unconvenience in using it as a model.

I have no problem what model is used provided it looks like a suitably scary death mount and it is on the correct base size.  I have just started to model mine from a manticore combined with the original Abyssal Terror vampire. Apparently it needs to go on a 40mm round (according to the base size chart on this site) Spent all last night making the huge manticore fit as well.... We are all irrationally precious about having the right base size right? 

Cheers

JJ

2 hours ago, Jon Jones said:

Ssshh! Models know when you put them on the wrong base.  I have long suspected they punish you by cursing your dice rolls. 

mmh...I have to try so...maybe the curse can rise my dice roll so^^ (worse than continuous "1" can't be^^)

39 minutes ago, Jon Jones said:

@Deynon lol! Perhaps you have upset your models too? Sacrificing a zombie to the dice gods should suffice :-) 

@Nico a 120mm oval? , you just made that up! Poor mmimzie's dice roles will be doomed... ;-) 

JJ 

when your opponents decide to gift you new dice cause piety and look at you ankward each time they see a multipoker of 1...

I have bren able 40 dice 3+ reroll to gain 1 hit and on the next 3+ reroll to wound ..."1"... so no statistic or result can surprise me^^  

Archived