Gotrek in SCE - how do you play him?

Django

So basically everyone in my local game store plays a meta army, meaning I’ve never won a game. So I bought Gotrek because atleast he can kill something.

Now I knoooow, he’s not the Messiah. But I love the model and the idea of this 32mm base guy just scaring people. 

my long term plan is play him with a stardrake and the prime because it’s super cool to have a list with LCoSD,Gotrek, incantor,prime,castellant and some libs (+comet). Now, i havnt painted my stardrake yet and that’s gonna take a while sooo, i was wondering how you guys use Gotrek in SCE? is there a list where i can use him and the prime and some ballistan? All i know is a need to buy a cp to get him to run 6” turn1 or im probably screwed 

any tips on a Gotrek list, or ideas on how to get the most out of him in SCE? Not looking to win tournaments so give me your fun ideas aswell as ”good” ones 😎

1 hour ago, Django said:

So basically everyone in my local game store plays a meta army, meaning I’ve never won a game. So I bought Gotrek because atleast he can kill something.

Now I knoooow, he’s not the Messiah. But I love the model and the idea of this 32mm base guy just scaring people. 

my long term plan is play him with a stardrake and the prime because it’s super cool to have a list with LCoSD,Gotrek, incantor,prime,castellant and some libs (+comet). Now, i havnt painted my stardrake yet and that’s gonna take a while sooo, i was wondering how you guys use Gotrek in SCE? is there a list where i can use him and the prime and some ballistan? All i know is a need to buy a cp to get him to run 6” turn1 or im probably screwed 

any tips on a Gotrek list, or ideas on how to get the most out of him in SCE? Not looking to win tournaments so give me your fun ideas aswell as ”good” ones 😎

Stardrake, gotrek and the prime in one list is going to leave you in a very difficult position to win most games before you even finish the list. Stormcast are expensive as it is so you will end up with so few bodies you wont be able to capture objectives. I would drop at least 1 of the 3. Or go crqzy and add in max sized units of aetherwings for bodies. 

This is my current Gotrek list. I’ve been doing very well with it.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)
10 x Evocators (420)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
Suffocating Gravetide (20)
Extra Command Point (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 96

2 hours ago, Lucur said:

Anyone tried an Amber mage as ally? Extra 2in run and charge sounds decent (i want to use one for my kittycators ofc, but the buff might just as well work for Gotrek).

It's good, however, you cannot do this in a 2,000 point game since Gotrek already consumes your entire ally allowance and then some. I've done it in cities before though and it works okay. The big downside is that it's yet more points invested in an already expensive unit, denying you crucial access to bodies which can play the objectives or get the rest of your army online. This is now exacerbated as battle mages are friggin' 110 points for some god awful reason, and I don't even want to take them in Hallowheart let alone an army where they get only a single cast.

18 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
Knight-Incantor (120)
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
3 x Aetherwings (40)
10 x Evocators (420)
- 10x Grandstaves
Extra Command Point (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

I like this, don’t have all the models though. 

I am playing OBR this weekend, and I know he’s bringing Katakros. Toying around with the idea of painting up Gotrek for it since honestly how else am I going to stand a chance against morteks and Katakros. I have played him plenty of times and the mortek just chew through Sequitors, there is just no point in bringning them against a battle line that is just superior in every way.

So Thinking about something like this: 

Gotrek

Prime

Lord Ordinator

Lord Castellant (General) 

3 x 5 liberators

3 x ballistas(only have 3) 

10 x evocators (unfortunately only have the starter box ones so no grand staves. Maybe take them as 2 units of 5 for more unbind + double the chance to get empower of on atleast one of them. 1 unit of 10 is obviously better with castellant though).  

This adds up to exactly 2000 p. Would probably play them as Hammers of Sigmar. The idea is that ballistas and prime can snipe his Arkhan and Harvester, that he always brings. Then Gotrek will go for whatever is in front of him, knowing he wouldn’t want Katakros in combat with Gotrek I use that threat to ”screen” Katakros from actually fighting. Liberators to screen the ballistas as best they can, or to slow down horses that might tie up Gotrek. 

My main alternative, with the models I actually have, is to use some sort of Lord Arcanum + Sequitors + Castellant and Evocators, but I’ve tried this a bunch of times and they just fall flat against the mortek guard. I really need to be able to take down the Harvester (who doesn’t benefit from Look out sir which is great), and preferably Arkhan aswell. The ballistas could potentially do this, and then die to an army of morteks. But with some smart positioning they might just get the job done and hopefully be very annoying (like dropping in behind him, having him turn his Mortek guard around wasting precious time on objectives). 

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Mark Williams said:

Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
Knight-Incantor (120)
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
3 x Aetherwings (40)
10 x Evocators (420)
- 10x Grandstaves
Extra Command Point (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

2 questions. Do you think the knight incantor was pulling its weight given the 240 (120 incantor+100 comet+20 gravetide) point cost given how much better other casters have become? How were you using 3x longstrikes, mostly character sniping? 

3 hours ago, firtahl said:

2 questions. Do you think the knight incantor was pulling its weight given the 240 (120 incantor+100 comet+20 gravetide) point cost given how much better other casters have become? How were you using 3x longstrikes, mostly character sniping? 

I dropped the gravetide to keep people from using triumphs against me. The knight incantor pulls her weight every game.

longstrikes are most often used for character sniping.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, Mark Williams said:

Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
Knight-Incantor (120)
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
3 x Aetherwings (40)
10 x Evocators (420)
- 10x Grandstaves
Extra Command Point (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Sorry for the late reply, but how are you using this list? I assume Gav is dropping in with the Evos for a 6" charge and the Aethers and Raptors drop in to phew phew heroes, how does the rest work?

Looks like an interesting list that could give good results.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:04 AM, Phil D said:

Sorry for the late reply, but how are you using this list? I assume Gav is dropping in with the Evos for a 6" charge and the Aethers and Raptors drop in to phew phew heroes, how does the rest work?

Looks like an interesting list that could give good results.

It's a solid 3/5 win rate list, that occasionally can get 4/5 if you play it well. I don't think 5 wins is completely out of the question, but it's a seriously uphill battle against some armies.

The basic setup is:

1. 5 Liberators on left side of board
  2. 5 Judicators in the sky
  3. 5 Liberators on the right side of the board
  4. 3 Longstrike Raptors in the sky
  5. Lord Castellant  and Gryph Hound with one of the units of Liberators (at this point I'm looking at the opponents army and trying to decide where they are going to place the bulk of their army. I want the Knight encator to be well away from any units that can counter spells)
  6. 10 Evocators in the sky
  7. Gavriel in the sky
  8. Knight-Incator outside of counter-spell range but inside 36" of a good spot to place the commet, and preferably next to the unit of Liberators that isn't next to the Lord Castellant.
  9. 3 Aetherwings (usually in the sky, but I can put them on the board to zone out a certain part of it or to just provide some "look out sir" to Gotrek or the Knight-Incantor.
  10. Gotrek , generally deployed as far forward and center as possible.

In a tournament setting, opponents give me the first turn 90% of the time. I cast the comet and wait to see what kind of damage it does. If I peg a 5-wound hero with a few mortal wounds, I drop the  Longstrike Raptors with their birds within 30" of that hero, and then shoot it and hope to remove it from the board first turn. The judicators are dropped on a flank, near a weak unit . They usually can hold their own against any similar point costed troop unit. Gotrek just runs forward as fast as he can.

Honestly, I usually bring out the evocators first turn and give them +6 to charge, and hope for the best. Sometimes if I see the opponent having a very critical win condition, I will hold them back, but the point of the evocators coming out early is to serve as a distraction from the rest of my army. People tend to ignore everything else as soon as they come out, including gotrek, which gives gotrek another turn to run forward and get into their lines. If gotrek makes it into enemy lines, most of the time they have lost the game, so the pressure of two big threats bearing down on people is generally enough to win the game. 

I wish I could say it's more deep than that. I try to play for the long game when I can, but this list works best when you play aggressively and get in people's faces  as early as possible. Early board control is a big deal, and I try to capitalize on people giving me first turn by hitting them so hard that it will put them on the back foot for the rest of the game.

I have some ideas to improve the army, but I'll just have to play around with it. Replacing Gotrek with Lord Kroak or the Light of Eltharion is a possibility, and using the extra points for something else.

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 3:54 AM, Lucur said:

Silly me, somehow my brain made Gotrek ignore all allies rules ^^

The point hike on the battlemage is a bummer, last i played around in warscrollbuilder it was still on 90 pts i think (after SCE units were updated).

I believe you can play Gotrek with a Battlemage if you're army is a stormkeep, giving you 1 in 4 cities units.

I like @Mark Williams plan of dropping things from the sky, but you lose that ability in a stormkeep.  I'd want to pinch my opponent by dropping units from the sky on either side.   This either pins your opponent in place or forces them to move out towards the center towards Gotrek.  The options for "teleports" in a stormkeeps are Lord Aquilor's CA or a Knight-Vexillor banner.