Season 4 Warbands

Matt Ceney-Pratt

I don't think they'd ever throw a Gargant in as anything other than a neutral monster of sorts (though it'd be great to smash a warband with one).

For warbands I'm thinking Deepkin, Vampires, Seraphon, OBR, and beyond that I have no clue. I'd love a Nurgle Daemon one.

Edited by Oceanic_Eyes
Misspelled "Gargant" whoopsie

Slaanesh, Idoneth, Seraphon, Lumineth, Cities and Bonereapers don’t currently have any representation so would be good to see warbands for. 

For the remaining two I’d love to see Spiderfang Grots and Clan Moulder get some representation.

Four order factions might also be too many, so maybe swap Cities out for Bonesplitterz.

I think Slaanesh, Idoneth, Lumineth and Ossiarch are pretty much guaranteed, they're all too prominent in the overall AoS plot not to get represented. I would be shocked if they didn't appear in S4.

Seraphon are also likely, if slightly less so. Vampires, sure, maybe, but their specifics as a new AoS faction are still unclear. CoS would be great, all the fan-wishes for the Ubersreik Five or a similar crew of adventurers are fun, but in terms of support... well, you don't have to be signed up to conspiracies that they're being squatted imminently to see that they're in a weird place support-wise. Not impossible but it's still a tricky one. 

That said, I would love to see more like Rippa's Snarlfangs, spotlights on smaller or far-out factions.

What do we think about factions doubling up? We've already got four SC warbands and I wouldn't be surprised to see another. Two Ironjawz bands and two NH bands. Skaven doesn't seem impossible, though I'd expect a doubling-down on Skyre, feels like GW has been jumping on the wacky steampunk side of things for skaven. Maybe a new Slaves to Darkness warband, something closer to the Archaon-influenced side of things, say, a Varanguard and squires/spawn.

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, carnith said:

Vampires, Lizards, OBR are my top 3.

I don't think slaanesh mortals are coming here. That'll be wave two of the book and probably season 5. 

I got lizards right! But I'll eat my words on Slaanesh mortals. I was very shocked and super exicted. Glad to be wrong!

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, sandlemad said:

Skaven doesn't seem impossible, though I'd expect a doubling-down on Skyre, feels like GW has been jumping on the wacky steampunk side of things for skaven.

Wacky ratty steampunk = good 😁

If GW went with Skryre, they wouldn't be repeating themselves, though - Spiteclaw's Swarm aren't Skryre, but Verminus.

Anyway, I'm curious of what'll come, because - aside from the Idoneth, OBR and Seraphon - all the major faction seem to be already covered...

Edited by PiotrW

I'd put money on Idoneth almost being almost certain considering they missed out on Beastgrave.

Ossiarch Bonereapers have an extremely good shot as they're now the new posterboy for Death, but there's always a chance - like Idoneth - they could miss out this season, a slim one, but still. There's very definite Ossiarch Rumour Engines floating about but that could be anything from Warhammer Quest to War Cry.

I'd have put money on Bonesplitters/Savage Orcs until Morgok's Krushas showed up and being the last warband we got I imagine it'd be at the tail end of Direchasm.

Cities of Sigmar is a funny duck because there's numerous ways they could spin it. They could do a sort of adventuring party with a Human, Dwarf, Elf, etc, they could do separate warbands of a specific race (all Free Guild, all Dispossessed, etc) or we could end up with the different Cities of Sigmar sub-factions getting warbands, with as a Battlemage warband, Ironweld, Temple of Sigmar (Witch Hunter + Priest + Gryph-hound + Flagellants just writes itself). 

A Clan  Pestilens  warband is probably colourful enough mechanic and model wise to get it's own.

Despite now having a Chaos warband for every god, we've yet to see any daemon models in Underworlds. Could be we get mono-god daemon warbands or maybe even an Undivided one, although I feel like they could potentially bring enough unique mechanics to make them a Season 5 launch warband.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

They are going to have to revisit factions as they are starting to run out, I think a Pestilens or Skryre warband would be pretty cool.

I wonder if they will ever make some of the Warcry warbands into Underworlds warbands.

That would be a cool way to add some more hero characters for them in Warcry.

Edited by Orchid89

On 10/21/2020 at 11:47 PM, KaptainWalrus said:

Technicality, but The Eyes of the Nine has a blue horror and 2 brimstones.

And Magore’s fiends have a khorne hound. So it just leave the demon of nurgle and slaanesh out. Probably that a daemonette would have been too sexy for this game... choking some people. But we got the guy with external poophole in the wurmspat, so...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well with today's preview it seems very likely we are getting a Chaos Warriors Slaves to Darkness warband (about time!). If that's the case we are currently looking at: Slaanesh, Slaves to Darkness, Lumineth, and Seraphon. That leaves 4 Warbands.

My money would be on:

Bone Reapers (almost a given)

Idoneth (Are they the only new to AoS faction without a Warband?)

Bonesplittaz (Destruction needs at least 1 representative and these would be a logical choice)

And....? My guess would be Cities of Sigmar, Vampires, or Something for Destruction.

19 hours ago, rattila said:

Not sure we will see Bonereaper. We already have skellies. Cities of sigmar would be nice, tough. I put my money on Bonesplitterz, Cities, Idoneth, and maybe Deadwalker. Not sure we will see Vampire.

I think Ossiarchs are almost a guarantee for WHU. They're a high profile new faction and important in the background, GW's been pushing them pretty hard. They have less thematic and mechanical crossover with the Sepulchral Guard than e.g. the S1 ironjaw ardboys and the S3 brutes. There's also a preview or two that is clearly an Ossiarch axe, has the right cartouche and all.