Necrons counts as...

Slaktor

...what? 

Hey guys, I need some help. The new Necrons are amazing. I look at them and go something like “holy BLEEP ****** that is some of THE most bloody awesome thing I have ever seen”. The problem is I don’t want to play 40k (again), I want to play the most glorious Age of Sigmar. 

So I’d like some inspiration on what Nerons could possibly “counts as”? Can you help me out? 

Edited by Slaktor
  • Like 1

Yeah, realm of metal Ossiarchs seem solid.

Otherwise you could do gunners as Kharadron proxies and claim they're Cogmen allies(living mechanical natives in Chamon along with the Gholemkin). Maybe try to replace the spookier parts with steampunk bits goodness.

Third option that comes to mind is Clans Skryre. Just slap some skaven and levers on their backs with maybe a few heads swapped with simpler robot heads or just gears & warpstone jutting out of the necks as the mad inventors field test their new toys they cobbled together from Cogmen/Kharadron ship graveyards.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

One benefit of using them as a mechanical cog army of Freeguild is that the Freecities is a bigger force so you've more to proxy. Oassiarchs are very new and don't have a huge range of models to copy. That said they do have some ideal counterparts - eg I could see the new four legged walker being a stand in for a harvester; the new three legged blade walkers as a stand in for stalkers etc... 

You could also try some puppetswar weapons https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/infantry-weapons.html

You'd have to take the guns off warriors anyway, so you might be able to use the puppetswar weapons for close combat. Though I'm not sure how they size up on necrons. 

• Like 1

I messed with this idea awhile ago and cut down all the dangly chest hoses and such to eliminate as much sc-fi as possible and painted the exterior armor as wood grain and skeletal frame as heavily weathered bronze. Was going to proxy as skeletons but since OBR dropped I considered them as well. 

At work or I'd post a pic. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

Aye, slapping some sort of shield and spear or sword on them would make them some decent Mortek Guard. As people noted above, there are some solid options for other minis; harvester, stalker. Szarekh when he comes out can be modified to be Katakros. Cryptek for Boneshaper. Lord for Soulreaper. That's 3 HQ, a whole pile of infantry, and two different elite options; enough to build an army. If you're VERY creative you could maybe build cavalry or a Crawler out of Necron bits too. 

• Like 1

Making them into SCE lightning golems could work. Good blend of close combat, shooting and large proxy units to have what you want while actually making brightly colored Necrons which would be unique.

Though you could go dark too with Anvil Sacrosanct that delved too deep into realm of death soul research and lost themselves to the Nadir.

Certainly has worked for basing other dark armies around like with Kurgan's Warrior Chamber Soulblights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarbossKurgan/status/1284070161176297474

"Warboss Kurgan

Soulblight Vampires #WardensOfTheColdFlame (I plan to play they in Warcry, using the rules for Stormcast Warrior Chamber)"
EdHu_HUWsAAGqia?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Wow, those are all some great inspirations! Thanks a bunch. 

The Cogmen mentioned, which feature in the new GHBs campaign The Wisper Engine is something I’ve considered doing something with. 

The  consensus as of now seems to be an OBR- conversion. As someone pointed out, getting the melee weapons will be rather tricky. I’ll have to think of something  

Initially I thought of Flesh Eater Courts but I want to build that actual army whenever I can get my hands on the warscroll cards (which on the other hand is never :( )

Perhaps one can mix in some Mechanicus parts, at least if I want some cavalry I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slaktor said:

Initially I thought of Flesh Eater Courts but I want to build that actual army whenever I can get my hands on the warscroll cards (which on the other hand is never :(

On the third hand. That’s only a trip to the local print shop away 

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

On the third hand. That’s only a trip to the local print shop away 

I've tried to find them in digital form with no success... which is rather odd to me. I mean, you would think that at least someone would have scanned them.

3 hours ago, Slaktor said:

I've tried to find them in digital form with no success... which is rather odd to me. I mean, you would think that at least someone would have scanned them.

all the warscrolls are on the sale pages, so it's very little effort to just look them up, save, print shop. Done :) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kramer said:

all the warscrolls are on the sale pages, so it's very little effort to just look them up, save, print shop. Done :) 

Oh my god. I haven't even thought of that. Jesus 😭 Although it stings in my eyes that they are not in color, I guess it will do.

Thanks. For real. I am ashamed to admit that I have been googling for these for longer then I would care to admit...

1 hour ago, Slaktor said:

Oh my god. I haven't even thought of that. Jesus 😭 Although it stings in my eyes that they are not in color, I guess it will do.

Thanks. For real. I am ashamed to admit that I have been googling for these for longer then I would care to admit...

haha you're welcome. I admit I did print a few myself so I had a head start ;) 

Maybe try  the app on an iPad or something. Because in there they are in color. 
You could screenshot and print those if they are wider? Because they are quite small and thin on a phone. But that might be best of both worlds

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 7:34 AM, Slaktor said:

Initially I thought of Flesh Eater Courts but I want to build that actual army whenever I can get my hands on the warscroll cards (

Ah, since your Chamon Ossiarchs are going to be mechanically upgraded then you might want to look at this fellow's ideas for Frankenstein ghouls from the realm of metal to accompany your Ossiarchs(be it by proxy, Death grand alliance or multiplayer).

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2