2000 pts competitive Legion of Blood

Tizianolol

hi guys, with new points im trying to make legion of Nagash lists competitive again!!

Thats what im planning to test in tts

VLoZD 440

-Aura of dark mejesty 

-the orb of enchantment 

- lance

Prince vhordrai  460

Necromancer 130

3 x 5 dire wolves  210

10 blood knights  360

20 grimghast reapers 320

Additional command point 50

Tot 1970

What do you think about that? Feel like doble dragon list can work with new objectives,  the fact you got 1 point more if hero new 6 of objectives can be something.  The list seems fast with good core units like reapers. Necromancer is a must . 1 more command ability for the Prince that can buff Vlozd can be scary and orb can be strong against others storng heroes 

What do you thin:)

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

My only comment from a LoB player is that I've found it can be difficult to have enough units to capture all of the objectives all over the board. The new meta has a lot of missions where you're expected to baby sit an objective somewhere and you can't really move from it or you lose points. I think it's going to end up hurting lists like this in the future where your game plan is for your entire army to sort of be "moving forward" the entire game.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 6:26 PM, Tizianolol said:

hi guys, with new points im trying to make legion of Nagash lists competitive again!!

Thats what im planning to test in tts

VLoZD 440

-Aura of dark mejesty 

-the orb of enchantment 

- lance

Prince vhordrai  460

Necromancer 130

3 x 5 dire wolves  210

10 blood knights  360

20 grimghast reapers 320

Additional command point 50

Tot 1970

What do you think about that? Feel like doble dragon list can work with new objectives,  the fact you got 1 point more if hero new 6 of objectives can be something.  The list seems fast with good core units like reapers. Necromancer is a must . 1 more command ability for the Prince that can buff Vlozd can be scary and orb can be strong against others storng heroes 

What do you thin:)

This list  is almost identical to the list I am planning to run in September at a 2-day tourney... a few thoughts:

- I put in a Corpse Cart (unholy lode stone) instead of the extra command point (thus getting to 2000 pts on the nose!). That’s because both the Necromancer’s and Vhordrai spells are absolutely key - and in my case the one on the VLoZD as well. You don’t mention spells... I went for Overwhelming Dread (Necromancer), Amethistine Pinions (VLoZD) and Vile Transference (Vhordrai). The Cart also gives a +1 save to your wolves, which makes them uber-cost-effective. And, I very recently put together what I think is a decent conversion of that particular model, so... 😜

- The Sword is (marginally) better than the lance for the VLoZD (search elsewhere on tag, plenty of threads about that) unless you are running it with Mist Form in SoulBlight (as in that case you can always charge...) 

- I have split my 10 Blood Knights into two units of 5, as in that way it’s easier to get them in cover and they can countercharge whatever gets on both the VLoZD and Vhordrai. Easier to get them all in, harder for your opponent to shut down their charge, more board control with 2 units instead of one. This one I have thoroughly tested - it’s just better, unless you have no anti-horde unit, but that’s when the Reapers come in.

Other than that, as I said, the most competitive thing I could come up with is something very very similar to your so... it must be good, right? I’ll let you know how it performs in September! It has the bodies, the anti-hero, the anti-elite and the anti-horde. It is super fast, the Reapers come back... I think it’s strong. Against the filthiest of the latest meta-lists... of course we are going to suffer, but hey, we’ll do what we can!

On 7/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, Bademeister said:

you choose only 1 Unit that got a point reduction...

This is incorrect. Both Vhordrai and the Blood Knights went down in points, thus effectively making this list possible with a 60 pts boon. Not bad!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 8/8/2020 at 5:48 PM, Thamalys said:

This list  is almost identical to the list I am planning to run in September at a 2-day tourney... a few thoughts:

- I put in a Corpse Cart (unholy lode stone) instead of the extra command point (thus getting to 2000 pts on the nose!). That’s because both the Necromancer’s and Vhordrai spells are absolutely key - and in my case the one on the VLoZD as well. You don’t mention spells... I went for Overwhelming Dread (Necromancer), Amethistine Pinions (VLoZD) and Vile Transference (Vhordrai). The Cart also gives a +1 save to your wolves, which makes them uber-cost-effective. And, I very recently put together what I think is a decent conversion of that particular model, so... 😜

- The Sword is (marginally) better than the lance for the VLoZD (search elsewhere on tag, plenty of threads about that) unless you are running it with Mist Form in SoulBlight (as in that case you can always charge...) 

- I have split my 10 Blood Knights into two units of 5, as in that way it’s easier to get them in cover and they can countercharge whatever gets on both the VLoZD and Vhordrai. Easier to get them all in, harder for your opponent to shut down their charge, more board control with 2 units instead of one. This one I have thoroughly tested - it’s just better, unless you have no anti-horde unit, but that’s when the Reapers come in.

Other than that, as I said, the most competitive thing I could come up with is something very very similar to your so... it must be good, right? I’ll let you know how it performs in September! It has the bodies, the anti-hero, the anti-elite and the anti-horde. It is super fast, the Reapers come back... I think it’s strong. Against the filthiest of the latest meta-lists... of course we are going to suffer, but hey, we’ll do what we can!

This is incorrect. Both Vhordrai and the Blood Knights went down in points, thus effectively making this list possible with a 60 pts boon. Not bad!

Lance is better if you go for burst.

Lance and sword are even after 2 rounds of combat in legion of blood.

If you are stuck in combat for longer then sword is better. 

So it depends on the playstyle your dragon will be filling. There are ocasiins when lance is better (especialy in legion of blood)

On 7/20/2020 at 2:56 AM, Mark Williams said:

I've found it can be difficult to have enough units to capture all of the objectives all over the board. The new meta has a lot of missions where you're expected to baby sit an objective somewhere and you can't really move from it or you lose points.

Well, after your poor puppies did their chargeblock and got stomped 😢

resummon from a nearby gravesite to babysit the newly countercharged claimed objective...

only sad thing is the amount of units, you’ll likely have to go first into the breach.

but there is always something you‘ll have to cope with and play around. One of the reasons I only play casual. Cut-throat tournaments are not my type of fun. YMMV 🥳

1 hour ago, Honk said:

resummon from a nearby gravesite to babysit the newly countercharged claimed objective...

Yep - from experience, though: always assume it's going to take you another turn to get the resurrected wolves (or indeed anything else) where they need to be. Those 9" charges are hard to get... I am saying this as I used to wait until the very last moment to pull back units from the grave, only to find out that turn 5 was almost upon me. My current strategy is: unless you have a strong reason to wait, bring them back asap.

They way this list plays is a double-counter-charge: you'll be often gave first turn (if going second, not much changes though). At that point, send two/three units of wolves to grab two/three distant objectives (or, summon them via the gravesites, but that's a bit more risky as if you go second you have no screens). Sit with the necro, cart and reapers on the home objective. Position the VLoZD and Vhordrai ~15" away from the wolves and the blood knights 15" away from the dragons. The opponent has to deal with the wolves, as that's a 70 points units giving you an objective.  Then, counter charge with the dragons. Try to avoid being double turned with the dragons in combat as they can withstand most things for one round, but not two without drinking from the chalice. Then, counter charge with the blood knights. A simplified version, obviously, but that's how I play it. The reapers can be run forward to bog down the opponent (they'll came back after all). It is KEY to get the charges off with the blood knights, and it is key to not get double turned with the two dragons in danger. 

Weak point: magic-heavy builds care not about movement finesse. Weakest point: shooting builds care even less.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:22 AM, Thamalys said:

Yep - from experience, though: always assume it's going to take you another turn to get the resurrected wolves (or indeed anything else) where they need to be. Those 9" charges are hard to get... I am saying this as I used to wait until the very last moment to pull back units from the grave, only to find out that turn 5 was almost upon me. My current strategy is: unless you have a strong reason to wait, bring them back asap.

Totally agree with bringing units back, and have had very similar experiences "waiting" and having it blow up in my face. 

On 8/10/2020 at 7:22 AM, Thamalys said:

It is KEY to get the charges off with the blood knights, and it is key to not get double turned with the two dragons in danger. 

This is also a very obvious bit of advice, but surprisingly hard to accomplish particularly when your opponent knows the damage 4 Attack Blood Knights can do on the charge. 

These are two solid pieces of advice with Legion of Blood, good shouts. 

• 3 months later...

Id like to pile onto this thread, but a quick caveat that I am quite new to age of sigmar (have done lots of other strategy and tabletop gaming), have never played in a tournament, etc. So all of my ideas come from a little casual play and from watching batreps. 

Heres my 2k points list with explanations (again all ideas coming from a noob):

heros_

prince Vhordria

1 vampire lord with wings

2 necro (to help zombies and ghosts hold the middle of the board via heals and buffs)

1 tomb banshee (for screams to take advantage of the fear debuffs in legion of blood and to help support the ghosts)

battleline_

40 skeletons (own the middle)

20 chainrasp horde (own the middle)

5 direwolves (screen)

other units_

2 morghast (to fly around with vhordria and whack stuff)

2*5 blood knights (hammer / flanker)

my strategic idea for this army is use the ghosts and skellies to establish a large tarpit with some ok damage output in the middle with the banshee and necromancers to support that (and banshee can dish out mortal wounds with all the bravery debuffs), the dogs can run around infront of the blood knights to screen them and then vhordria and the morghasts can kinda be the moving hammer of support just kinda smacking down anything that pops up. 

Looking for some cc here since I dont actually know what im doing.

9 hours ago, potatochipsxp said:

then vhordria and the morghasts can kinda be the moving hammer of support

Not sure if Lady Vhordria 🤣 has gotten the VAMPIRE LORD keyword yet, but in a Legion of Blood, the extra attack of the blood knights should make them better as Morghast. 

Stupid Nurgle World Tour has ruined my plans to test Arkhan (Naggi) + Morghast in GHoN or Double Dragon in LoB

and i hate stupid bedsheets with a vengeance in LoN, but reapers are just better than skellis, although I‘d rather loose fielding zombies 🤣 

I think that you need horde units for core with the current meta and GHB. 40 Chainrasp are a problem for kharadron and lizzys.

Also I think that Dolorous Guard is a must because you´re going to be able to keep safe your general and reborn the units from the tombstone.

Other, I love the orb and the blood knights. The first one is one of the items that make LoN being able to compite today, and the blood knights are one of our best units, ever if we cannot reborn them.

Also necromancer is good but all the magic potente of the game are going to make almost imposible for you to cast the danse. The +1A of the vampire lord is auto and he can support your combats.

Not sure if Lady Vhordria 🤣 has gotten the VAMPIRE LORD keyword yet, but in a Legion of Blood, the extra attack of the blood knights should make them better as Morghast. 

It took me way to long to get why you called him lady haha. kinda like it now though lol

I was thinking I could keep the morghasts with him to support him because they can all fly around together. maybe I should keep bats with him instead? or nothing? 

and i hate stupid bedsheets with a vengeance in LoN, but reapers are just better than skellis, although I‘d rather loose fielding zombies

I know this is dumb but I just like the way the glowy ghosts look with the rest of the army haha. 

I have rasps and skellies to be kind of a balance. Are you saying I should just drop the skellies and have more ghosts? The skellies also hurt bravery which synergizes with my banshee screams. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, potatochipsxp said:

Why are they a problem for KO?

I have played only a handful of times this year, but the special trick of those armies is removing units with one round of attention. Then capturing the objective and moving on. 

40 rasps make that pretty tough, because they ignore rend. Something those units pay a pretty price to have. And with high bravery and regeneration, if they don’t get deleted, their round of fire was a „full whiff“. Same goes for spirit hosts.

on the other hand a bunch of -1/-2 rend shots just rips through blood knights, leaving the unit crippled and useless, why LoB struggles with KO or similar (flamers of tzeentch 😩😭😩)

On 12/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, Honk said:

I have played only a handful of times this year, but the special trick of those armies is removing units with one round of attention. Then capturing the objective and moving on. 

40 rasps make that pretty tough, because they ignore rend. Something those units pay a pretty price to have. And with high bravery and regeneration, if they don’t get deleted, their round of fire was a „full whiff“. Same goes for spirit hosts.

on the other hand a bunch of -1/-2 rend shots just rips through blood knights, leaving the unit crippled and useless, why LoB struggles with KO or similar (flamers of tzeentch 😩😭😩)

That makes sense

What hero's would you recommend combining to support the rasps in legion of blood? All the ghost hero's seem to only support ghosts so they don't go very well with the rest of the list. And, none of the ghost hero's seem to lower bravery which would also synergize well with the rest of the list.

Edited by potatochipsxp

12 hours ago, potatochipsxp said:

What hero's would you recommend combining to support the rasps in legion of blood?

My opinion is not really valid for competitive games, but Necromancer with Overwhelming Dread and Van Hels are serious buffs. Also the Vamp lords CA can always push a Death unit into next level territory.

secret unit imo is a corpse cart, add to cast and reroll regeneration, also if you have wolves nearby, the get a very nice defense, especially within terrain