Seraphon Scaly Skin Ability

Ada

Question

I REALLY NEED your help to understand the Seraphon “Scaly Skin” ability! Before you groan, I never thought it would affect mortal wounds so the FAQ published doesn’t help me. It is more to do with the way it is worded and how it is applied in a few situations.

I am assuming that the effect of “Scaly Skin” takes place between the opponents wound roll and my save roll, I roll to save what hasn’t been negated by the ability?

Now this is where arguments have started...even a dice roll to decide who is right still leaves a bitter taste in either of our mouths and for the rest of the game! PLEASE HELP!!!

We will assume that all hits and wounds rolls are made successful by the enemy unit...

A unit of 10 has an attack’s characteristic of 1 and 2 for the alpha and the weapon has a damage characteristic of 1 on their Warscroll. How is this worked out?

1st) The damage for each dice is 1 so I cannot minus anything...11-0=11 save rolls.

2nd) 9 single dice are rolled and nothing is reduced, because they are 1 damage each, then 2 dice for the alpha are rolled and 1 of the points of damage is removed... 9+(2-1)=10 save rolls... which is similar to rolling all 11 dice and just reducing the total by 1 for that attack... 11-1=10 save rolls.

3rd) 9 single dice are rolled followed by 2 separately for the alpha and they are both subject to a reduction... (9-1)+(2-1)=9 save rolls.

If the second or third ruling applies what happens in the case of...

A unit of 10 has an attack’s characteristic of 2 and 3 for the alpha and the weapon has a damage characteristic of 1 on their Warscroll. How does this get worked out??

1st) 9 separate rolls of 2 dice followed by the alpha roll of 3 dice... 9(2-1)+(3-1)=11 save rolls.

2nd) 18 dice are rolled followed by 3 for the alpha... (18-1)+(3-1)=19 save rolls.

3rd) All dice are rolled together and I only get minus 1... 21-1=20 save rolls.

Similar situation applies to single line on a Warscroll with an attack’s characteristic of 3 and a damage characteristic of 3...

Is each one reduced? Is the total reduced by one? 3(3-1)=6 save rolls or 9-1=8 save rolls?

What about rolls of 6 then doubling the damage for that dice roll, does it now become eligible for a reduction? Am I just not getting it? Why am I not getting it? The wording seems so vague to me that it can be open to interpretation!!

Could it just be changed to...

“Before you make a save roll for any normal wounds against a Coalesced unit reduce the number by a third (rounding down) eg: 4/3=1.3=1 so 3 save rolls need to be made or 20/3=6.6=6 so 14 save rolls need to be made. Mortal wounds are not affected by this ability.”

This makes the ability uniform, not open to interpretation and puts the simple Seraphon units back in the fight!

Please help me! How have I got SOOOO confused?!?! Please help stop the arguments and ill feelings over a game that should bring people together!?!?!

Adrian Cooke, Southend-on-Sea, Essex.

3 answers to this question

I don't get your examples and from their wording I think you might be playing the skill wrong.

Scaly skin subtacts 1 from the damage of each attack, so the number of attacks doesn't really matter only their damage characteristic. In you first example the alpha has an additional attack but each attack is still only 1 damage so scaly skin does not apply.

Soo:

1) If your enemy rolls 11 hits and then 11 wounds, all of which are damage 1, you roll 11 saves and for each fail you suffer 1 wound.

2) If your enemey rolls 11 hits and then 11 wounds, all of which are damage 2, you roll 11 saves and for each fail you suffer 1 wound (scaly skin reduces damage by 1)

3) If your enemey rolls 11 hits and then 11 wounds, all of which are damage 3, you roll 11 saves and for each fail you suffer 2 wounds (scaly skin reduces damage by 1)

and so on...

4) If your enemey rolls 11 hits and then 11 wounds, all of which are damage D3, you roll 11 saves and for each fail your enemy rolls a D3 and you suffer an amount of wounds equal to the result -1 with a minimum  of 1 (so 1-2: 1 damage, 3-4: 1 damage, 5-6: 2 damages)

So no, reducing the number of wounds by a third before saves would not be equivalent.

Bottom line: when scaly skin applies, for each successful attack, check the damage characteristic. If it's greater than 1, reduce it by 1. This is the amount of wound you suffer for each failed save.

I’m so angry with myself...re-reading the core rules about successful attacks and allocations, then re-reading this rule along with your explanation...

IT HAS FINALLY CLICKED!!!

Thank you for your help....I will now crawl into a dark corner and slap myself silly while saying “I’m an idiot “!

Don’t know how or why I made it so complicated for myself!?!

Thanks again and shame on my house!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ada said:

I’m so angry with myself...re-reading the core rules about successful attacks and allocations, then re-reading this rule along with your explanation...

IT HAS FINALLY CLICKED!!!

Thank you for your help....I will now crawl into a dark corner and slap myself silly while saying “I’m an idiot “!

Don’t know how or why I made it so complicated for myself!?!

Thanks again and shame on my house!

ahah don't worry, there's so many rules it's easy to get tangled up!