The Scuttleboss

The Scuttleboss

Question

I have a rules question regarding the Spiderfang subfaction in Gloonspite Gitz.

With the scuttleboss as my general giving it the "monstrous mount" command trait along with "the black fang" artifact of power. 

if i roll an unmodified "6" with the attacks having the black fang artifact on it, does the monstrous mount trait double the black fang's D3 mortal wounds too? some people tell me yes, and some no. i think its no because the black fang does not have the "venom" ability its self, so it will not be doubled as well as they come from different sources. if someone could clarify this and provide proof (ie. page or picture of rules) that would be much appreciated. also does the venom of the spider god spell double the mortals on the black fang too?

Thanks

The Scuttleboss

1 answer to this question

On 7/16/2020 at 4:10 AM, The Scuttleboss said:

I have a rules question regarding the Spiderfang subfaction in Gloonspite Gitz.

With the scuttleboss as my general giving it the "monstrous mount" command trait along with "the black fang" artifact of power. 

if i roll an unmodified "6" with the attacks having the black fang artifact on it, does the monstrous mount trait double the black fang's D3 mortal wounds too? some people tell me yes, and some no. i think its no because the black fang does not have the "venom" ability its self, so it will not be doubled as well as they come from different sources. if someone could clarify this and provide proof (ie. page or picture of rules) that would be much appreciated. also does the venom of the spider god spell double the mortals on the black fang too?

Thanks

The Scuttleboss

No, it monstrous mount wouldn't double the mortal wounds of black fangs. There is a ruling in the Core FAQ that all abilities that double the value or add something to it are threated separatly.

Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example,
a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes
two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another
effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from
the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts
D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence
ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6
mortal wounds?
A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each
effect is triggered once. For this example, this means
that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of
the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would
carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other
hit normally).

So it would be 2 + D3 not D3x2 .

The Scuttleboss is a very weird  one in case of the spider venom rule, most likely because they call the weapon "Envenomed Spear"

All other units with "Spider venom" only have the ability on the Spiders attacks. Only the Scuttle Boss has it on the models attacks.

Keep in mind that the Black Fang can only be used on the Envenomed Spear, because normally Mounts wouldn't be affected by Command Traits or Artefacts. Monstrous Mount is a special case because it explicably modifies an Ability used by the Spider.