Why don't GW just re release brettonia?

Icegoat

2 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Narnia Brets wouldn't have talking animals and otters making tea

100% agree in everything but now I need an army of talking otters.

Btw, I really hated Bretonnia as a concepte, but an army close to a dark fairy tale seems badass.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think that 1) the actual middle ages were far weirder and grimmer than a lot of you seem to think. :D There's a lot of scope for a more historically grounded army that also has crazy and weird aesthetics. 

2) Bretonnia will be in the Old World, presumably, so I don't necessarily need them in Age of Sigmar.

But, if GW wanted to do them, I think it could be very cool. Problem is that SCE steal a lot of Bretonnia's thunder in that they are the "elite" human army with lots of monster-riding broskis and the magical favor of a deity enhancing them. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:55 AM, El Syf said:

Some people believe it's more fitting to just view Flesh Eater Courts as what became of Bretonia.

I've been thinking of doing a full Bretonia army counts as FEC.  Just gotta figure out the GKoTG and wait for it to come up in my painting queue.

• Like 1

Fascinating Narnia post above.

It made me think that really the Lady of the Lake resembles (both in her quite conniving Malory version and in her Aelven goddess manipulating Bretonnians one) no one so much as Jadis the White Witch or,  even more so, the Lady of the Green Kirtle in 'The Silver Chair'.

Made me think what we need is in our 'Remnants of Haven' the dichotomy of those who still cling to the Lady's ghost and lineage, and those who have rebelled and turned to something more 'Christian' and 'masculine' - and a lion god fits the bill just fine. Now I know Louen Leoncoeur died devoted to the Lady, but perhaps the belief of the anti-Lady knights might summon an entity in his memory and somewhat in his image to play Aslan to the Lady or her successor's White/Green Witch?

So I'm beginning to envisage something that will never happen - TWO mortally opposed post-Bret Haven factions, aelf-influenced, Celtic, Lady-worshipping lightly armoured mounted and foot warriors w mysterious armoured fey back up, vs rough and ready, heavily armoured, mounted Lion-worshipping sceptics, extremely monotheistic, maybe even a little 'Saracen' post-'Arabyan'  etc. Contesting the ruins of Haven fiercely, but both hating Chaos and very occasionally forced to cooperate against it.

Definitely need some wise beasts and 'gentle'  courteous chivalric actually deadly and deceptive Gargants involved too. This army or these armies could be actually funny, interesting and scary!

Like I say it will never happen. But I'm definitely wedging it into the late stages of our Soulbound campaign...

PS Another source of inspiration should be Spenser's Faerie Queene and all of its deeply weird, religiously fanatical, visually lush allegorical greatness

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Bretonnia can reappear. The End Times were their Requiem. They fulfilled their purpose, the Lady of the Lake proved to be a lie. So physically and spiritually, everything Bretonnia stood for is gone. Their quest ended and they failed. However, GW left itself a loophole by the mention of Bretonnians fleeing to Haven. So perhaps one Day, the Portals from Haven burst open and an army of Living Saints on fantastic formerly unknown mounts floods the realms to drive back Chaos. Or maybe not. 

Perhaps there is going tobe an army like the Inquisition from WH 40K in AoS. Paladin-esque Knights like the Bretonians Knights could offer the playing field of a Bretonnian-like army. I guess that might be a more probable possibility. 

However,if you want to keep playing Bretonnia, you either use the Legend rules or play 9th age as far as I would guess 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mogwai Man said:

A middle ages army is too generic for the Mortal Realms.

What about a high fantasy Arthurian influenced army of humans based around a Monarchy system with feudal knights and such. With armies on the table formed of rank and file serfs backed up with knights on powerful chargers decked out with barding; flowing mail skirts and detailed billowing cloth. An army which relies mostly on powerful cavalry formations and units to deal its damage whilst a few rare, but super powerful wizards and witches, thrust forth with arcane powers. Led by a King destined to rule all men of the realms on a quest to unite humanity under one banner. A King who is set to restore order and free the peoples of the corrupted realms from their yoke of Chaos. 

I don't think, that we really need a one trick pony army that only can be played 1 way.

It really would make more sense giving the Freeguild more Cavalry units, so it could be 1 playstyle of the Freeguild, like it is partly shown in AoS Lore (with Sons of Breton or The Knights of the Furrow for Order).

Or the Order of the Fly for Chaos, that basicly use the same traits that Bretonia had in the old world.

• Like 3

I'd say that is ideal with more Freeguild monster mounts like  demigryphs, Ghyrlions and Ibuqs (plant lions and metal-eating giant lizards respectively).

Human horse cavalry are poor in the realms with many stories showing them on the losing side, be it 2000 Volpone knights slayed by chaos with their bodies dumped in their sacred river or chaos knight lances glancing off Stormcast chestplates, and there's already crazy powerful wizards and witches all through the realms in large numbers with many further armored & empowered by their gods.

You could try to combine the two but the Lumineth are already spellcaster knights with light pouring from their bodies which makes them work so well while any exotic monster cavalry excuse is covered by Freeguild, Deepkin and Stormcast.

The last example especially so with our glorious God-King and his golden knights already doing the retaking of the realms and  stopping chaos while also doing what mortals cannot by redeeming and reclaiming those fallen to chaos(where as regular human crusades are usually kill everyone affairs. Not even any Judicators with their holy sight to tell if someone's lying including the undead)

It just cycles back to what's been said in this thread numerous times. There's not really a place for them with so many holy knight and magic cavalry armies already running/flying around in the realms with the Freeguild eventually bringing more.

52 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

They are probably still counting the bucket loads of money the made and can't be bothered at the moment. Maybe later...

Collecting it in the left over helmets of the bretonian knights. Just shaking it about for the sound it makes.

• Haha 2