Destruction Bases

Redmanphill

So it looks like the great rebasing project is about to begin. My 'Ardboyz need to come off their squares and onto 32's. It is 32's I should be using right?

This presents me with a great chance to do something a little more exciting than usual with regard to my basing. I have put all of my Stormcast onto ruined Sigmarite Temple bases and I want to do something themed for my destruction faction which will include just about everything that the allegiance has.

However no matter what I try to come up with I just can't settle on what would be a generic theme for the bases that screams 'Destruction' or 'WAAAAAAAAAGH'. My first idea was discarded weapons and armour but that would be pretty boring as it would look like my army was always fighting the same opponents. I then thought of some large bones lying around but feel that is great for the Bonesplittaz but not really generic enough for the whole allegiance. My old Chaos stuff is on forest bases which I am tempted to do again but maybe that is just relying on the past. We should be moving forwards with the hobby all the time and not just relying on the old tried and true methods right?

Snow is out, I hate snow basing with a passion and it doesn't fit with my terrain collection. This rules out large amounts of lava or similar too.

So does anyone have some inspiration/thought to help me out with?

This is the basing scheme that basically all of my armies get (in all the games I play) so that they match my secret weapon table:

Rodoks.jpg

Here are the steps if you're interested:

• Glue down a few small patches of rocks and sand, leave the rest of the base blank.
  • Primer the model normally.
  • Paint the top of the base with Graveyard Earth.
  • Paint the non-sand areas with a thick coat of Agrellan Earth.
  • Lightly paint/drybrush the sand areas with Agrellan Earth.
  • Apply weathering pigments, yellows, oranges, and browns.
  • Apply various tufts of static grass (biodiversity is a thing, don't just use the same tufts everywhere).

Overall, it was pretty fast and I'm very happy with the overall aesthetic. It works well for the Realm of Beasts, for my Ironjawz I use more burnt grass (since I have fire-themed Ironjawz) and for my Beastclaw Raiders I add patches of snow (there is plenty of snow in the high desert).

I'm personally combining bones, discarded weapons/armor and a desert theme for mine. I read Fist of Gork and listened to some audiobooks about Ironjawz and that's the theme that's stuck in my mind. Of course I'm now wishing I'd stuck with the same theme for all my Destructions but meh :)

@Chris Tomlin How do you paint the Agrellian Earth? It does seem to be flavour of the month in the basing department so that is putting me off slightly. I have never worrked with it before so I am quite curious to try it out.

@Dez I am leaning heavily towards some bones myself. I will have to try a test base to see how much I enjoy doing them. I am guessing I will make rather larger bones rather than Man/Orruk sized.

@thediceabide those models look ace. I definitely need to get some of the flower tufts. They look excellent.

5 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

Now that is an inspirational statement... thanks @Lucio

Thanks, though admitedly reading it back I'd totally mistyped the sentance and left off the actual advice on how to paint it.

Agrellian Earth, interspaced with patches of basing sand, and the odd skull or rib cage in between and a handful get either Mordheim tufts, or you can also clip the tips off various Sylvanth kits for small, dead bushes.

Wash the Agrellian earth with first Agrax Earthshade to get the definition, and then drybrush with Baneblade Brown and Ushabti bone to get back the lighter colours. Baneblade Brown should also allow you to edge the base.

Well I am not 100% decided on everything though I am getting there. what I definitely will be doing is some fungi. As I have a rather large Moonclan army that will be rebased at some point in the future I will need to have something to represent them. The easiest thing is some simple green stuff fungi.14172041_10154498479061934_1522155161_n.jpg

As I am planning on twenty 'Ardboyz in the first regiment I will start making stuff to get their bases done with first. One or two mushrooms per base should be enough and as they are small it is fairly subtle. These have been made with paper clips and some small flattened balls of greenstuff. It takes all of a few minutes to make them.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, Redmanphill said:

@Chris Tomlin How do you paint the Agrellian Earth? It does seem to be flavour of the month in the basing department so that is putting me off slightly. I have never worrked with it before so I am quite curious to try it out.

It is 100% completely flavour of the month!! My concern is that it will degrade and flake off over time. We'll see.

I paint the base Rhinox Hide, lay down some PVA, apply the Agrellan Earth then drybrush Zamesi Desert and Screaming Skull before picking out any big cracks that have taken a hit with the drybrush with Rhinox Hide again.

I've quickly developed a massive Agrellan Earth OCD and keep scraping it off and reapplying until it looks "right" (whatever that may be!! :S). A costly habit for sure.

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It is 100% completely flavour of the month!! My concern is that it will degrade and flake off over time. We'll see.

I put a little but of super-thin super glue in the big cracks after it dries, which does a pretty solid job making sure it's not going anywhere.

Agrellan Earth does indeed flake off over time, a coat of either Lahmian medium after it's really dry, or a thin layer of PVA or your favourite varnish helps.

One other trick for getting more out of the paint is to paint a thin layer of PVA on the base before applying the first layer of Agrellan Earth, it helps get larger cracks, rather than lots of small ones.

WIP bases.jpg

Here is the current state of my trial bases. There is still a lot to do. I am considering some Agrellan Earth in the crevasses on the bases. I am not sure how a thin coat will work. I had a look yesterday at getting generic crackle medium but the stores nearby are fairly expensive so it looks like I will be picking up some of the 'flavour of the month'. I still have foliage to go on and maybe a few more bones but these won't be done until I mount the miniatures.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, Lucio said:

Agrellan Earth does indeed flake off over time, a coat of either Lahmian medium after it's really dry, or a thin layer of PVA or your favourite varnish helps.

One other trick for getting more out of the paint is to paint a thin layer of PVA on the base before applying the first layer of Agrellan Earth, it helps get larger cracks, rather than lots of small ones.

Yeh my method involves PVA before hand and Lahmian after, following by Dullcote over the entire model at the end. Might have to keep a reserve stock of Agrellan in case mine does crack off in the future. Really hope not!!

15 hours ago, thediceabide said:

A thin coat makes many small cracks.

How small? I will be doing a thin layer and while I want there to be small cracks I don't really want a tiny spider web of cracks that aren't visible.

I will be putting a thin layer over some tiny sand grains and small rocks in those crevasses. The idea is that the medium will pull away/off of those and form cracks around them. Has anyone done something like this before? I want it to look like the soil in the crevasse has dried up, contracted and revealed some rocks and debris in them.

15 hours ago, thediceabide said:

You can also control the size of the cracks by the thickness of the Agrellan Earth. A thin coat makes many small cracks, thicker coats make fewer, but bigger cracks.

Yes this is correct. I have been experimenting quite a lot, repeatedly scraping the stuff off if I am not happy. I've been trying to get a mixture of bigger and smaller cracks.

5 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

How small? I will be doing a thin layer and while I want there to be small cracks I don't really want a tiny spider web of cracks that aren't visible.

I will be putting a thin layer over some tiny sand grains and small rocks in those crevasses. The idea is that the medium will pull away/off of those and form cracks around them. Has anyone done something like this before? I want it to look like the soil in the crevasse has dried up, contracted and revealed some rocks and debris in them.

Very small? Not sure how to answer that. It will probably take some experimenting on your part to make sure it looks how you want.

Edit: found this pic of some bases done with a light, medium, and heavy coat. The light coat doesn't even crack in much of the area:

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/waering/media/Flames of War/US Army/A86ADB50-E20E-412C-8B09-8C98B6CA91F4_zpsno4hpb0n.jpg.html

Archived