Shyish rules terrible?

Sception

I mean, excessive petty griping inbound, but...

Ok, so the new realmscape rules in general are bad and boring to the point that I'm honestly confused why they even bothered instead of removing them altogether, but is it just me, or are the Shyish rules especially bad, from both a mechanical and thematic perspective?

The new realm spell gives you a bonus to subsequent castings of endless spells, which could be decent and fits with Shyish bring the center of the necroquake... except that the realm rule is all terrain is null terrain, which means any endless spell you do cast disappears the moment it comes within one inch of any terrain on the table.  Because if the realm of death is known For anything in the wake of the necroquake, its for having particularly weak and easily suppressed magic apparently?  Why the heck isn't the Shyish terrain rule sinister, or deadly, or damned, or literally anything other than Null?  Arcane, the literal opposite of Null, would have been a dramatically better fit for the lore.

and then the realm command ability is a shrug, which no undead faction can use due to the new rules against layered shrugs, since Units in range of a hero to use the CA will already be in range of their death shrug.  Which means that the undead are, relative to non undead factions, at a disadvantage on their home terrain.

and the item is as forgettable as all the others, but this is about Shyish being bad in particular, not the new realm rules in general being bad, so I wont harp on that further.

I get that they decided the old realm rules were too intrusive for matched play, but the new ones are so bad and underbaked as to be literally worse than nothing, worse than just saying 'realm of battle rules are just for narrative games', especially Shyish.

Am I wrong?  Anyone else share my frustration and disappointment?

Edited by Sception

Well the realm rules are really botched (+1 save? Srsly do we really need a 1+ Petrifex Nagash?)
Especially since the magic part of the herophase is currently dominated by 4 Factions (Tzeentch, OBR, Lumineth and Seraphon), all the others shouldn't even bother trying to cast spells.
The Artefacts are uninspired and boring (at least the Ethereal Amulet is gone).

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Well the realm rules are really botched (+1 save? Srsly do we really need a 1+ Petrifex Nagash?)
Especially since the magic part of the herophase is currently dominated by 3 Factions (OBR, Lumineth and Seraphon), all the others shouldn't even bother trying to cast spells.
The Artefacts are uninspired and boring (at least the Ethereal Amulet is gone).

What about Tzeentch? They have also bonuses to cast and a lot of spells to throw against us. 

Greetings. 

• Thanks 1