Quick Iron Jawz/Monster Question

Fisdantilus

I just want to confirm my understanding that an Iron Jawz army cannot take Forge World Monsters and still be Battleline.  It seems to me that  to take a Forge World monster we could only be destruction and therefore we would have to take grots or orruks to fulfill our battleline requirement.  Is that correct?

I would love to add a Forge World monster but not if it means I have to build and paint 60 grots. (at least not starting out)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, you're right here.

Forge World Monsters doesn't have IRONJAWZ allegiance, so picking them will make your army DESTRUCTION allegiance, meaning you can't use IRONJAWZ units as battleline so you'll need some DESTRUCTION battlelines (orruks, savage orruks, ogors, grots...).

Dread Maw most likely but also looking at Giant or Hag.  Have a voucher and was putting together an order anyway and was just gonna throw in a cool model.  But seems silly to get if I can't play it. 

While we don't have a super competitive group, we are all new to AoS (though most are experienced gamers) and we decided to go to Matched Play because during season of war we ended up with some pretty lopsided games when we were just like, "this looks about even"  Then we would look at the handbook and realize one player was up like 300 points.

Locally there are a ton of good events and strong players so though would be to build army, get it painted and start trying to hit a few of those, which would require battleline as well.

The Dread Maw is immensely tough and also plugs the infiltrators gap that Destruction have. The Rogue Idol is unreliable, but potentially immense. Magma Dragon is the big daddy! 

The Giant is weak. The Troll Hag is good with Battlebrew but a bit overpriced.

Yeh it is a bit of a shame to be honest. Pre General's Handbook, I was running a Magma Dragon with my Ironjawz. Tbh the army was worse than it is now, even though the dragon is a right beast, all the GH traits and artefacts have been more beneficial.

That said, I would like to get him down on the table again (I have the awesome Mierce Miniatures Angrislaug - huge thing!) and I also have plans to paint other monsters such as the Idol. So with this is mind I will have to add some generic Destruction line to my army so that I can branch out.

I'm not seeing it as a negative as I do believe at some point the limited options within the Ironjawz book may become...well...limiting!

It's still possibly a missed trick to not allow one generic monster or something.

Ironjawz don't need any of them weedy monsters... they just need the BATTLE CABBAGE!

It's amazing how much i wanted an Ironjawz opponent at Rain of Stars for my monster mash. I don't think there would be a more imbalanced match up. Fanatics to block you and then countercharge with Stompy. Dread Maw takes out one of your flanks or heroes at the back - beautiful. Magma Dragon with +1 to hit just out and out soloes Gordrakk in a single turn....

45 minutes ago, Nico said:

It's amazing how much i wanted an Ironjawz opponent at Alliance for my monster mash. I don't think there would be a more imbalanced match up. Fanatics to block you and then countercharge with Stompy. Dread Maw takes out one of your flanks or heroes at the back - beautiful. Magma Dragon with +1 to hit just out and out soloes Gordrakk in a single turn....

What'd you bring to Alliance? I saw your pic above, but it doesn't seem to have enough battleline to have been your army for the event.

Brain fail - I meant to say at Rain of Stars. Too many posts and too many Ben Curry videos.

It was this list and one of the kind rules than Chris Tomlin included at Rain of Stars was allowing you to ignore battleline requirements so you could bring SCGT-type lists along (as so little time had elapsed between the GH coming out and the list submission date).

I've tweaked it since Rain of Stars using Ogre Bulls as Battleline. Although undercosted Savage Orruks would of course be better....

Archived