The Anvil of Apotheosis - Post your creation

New dude from my series of "Celebrity Deathmatch" from The Old World (based on 8th editon rules).
Again, he is not "named character" to allow traits and artifacts. Give him the Mystic Waaagh! Paint (Bonesplitterz Artifact) for fluffy reasons!!

(400 points btw) Hope you like it!!

Azharg_Slaughterer_CUSTOM-400-01.jpg.87364092ab9893d256907dffedaee049.jpg

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 6

The Mighty Mogg is here!

Edit: so I created a skeleton out of armature wire, and then applied greenstuff to shape him; adding the plastic parts on after that. A pretty simple bit of sculpting, since he's the shape of a dumpling.

He's currently in a Path to Glory against the Slaves to Darkness and their hero, currently 6-7 to StoD, but Mogg is getting the upper hand.

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

the-mighty-mogg.jpg

Edited by Dankboss
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

I tried to create a hero that tries to alleviate some problems that Ironjawz face on the battlefield, namely low leadership and the lack of mortal wound saves.

Therefore I present you with "Head of Mordok da Undyin'"
head-of-mordok-da-undyin__0027.jpg.c1fd6163ee638ef586153564b7b2ef04.jpg
Some people might ask; why a head? Because it's easy to convert? Because it fits on the smallest base and can be hidden from LoS behind any other model? Nah it's because of the lore and story!

Edited by Warfiend

6 hours ago, Beliman said:

New dude from my series of "Celebrity Deathmatch" from The Old World (based on 8th editon rules).
Again, he is not "named character" to allow traits and artifacts. Give him the Mystic Waaagh! Paint (Bonesplitterz Artifact) for fluffy reasons!!

Azharg_Slaughterer_CUSTOM-400.jpg

Nice work. Some typos i caught, in case you want to update the warscroll. The Spell "Caress of Laniph" refers to Dwarves in its flavor text. 

The flavor text for "Poisonous Bite" starts with "Wyverns is good" which i thought was intended for Orc speech but the second sentence has correct grammar "The're also good".

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

Nice work. Some typos i caught, in case you want to update the warscroll. The Spell "Caress of Laniph" refers to Dwarves in its flavor text. 

The flavor text for "Poisonous Bite" starts with "Wyverns is good" which i thought was intended for Orc speech but the second sentence has correct grammar "The're also good".

Cheers!

Thanks a lot!!!
New warscroll updated with fixed descriptions.

8 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Alternatively, the cost might just force everyone to spam the 3+ save Ethereal heroes that no one wants to see because people might think they aren’t worth taking otherwise.

I'd rather have that and pay over the top for it, than have that and have it undercosted.  People are going to take the save because it's the best. Full stop. Call it cynical, but in more than 35 years of hobby gaming, I can't say I've witnessed more than a handful of players choose to not take what they think is the "best" stuff when given a chance. Yeah, sure, sometimes they obfuscate their reason for taking the best stuff with some kind of fluff or other "friendly" application of hobby justification, but at the end of the day, they are taking the thing that they understand to be the most kick butt.

At least the high cost accounts for peoples' innate leanings toward power.

21 hours ago, KingGabaSnagga said:

I was having fun creating all those heroes that have been stuck in my head for some time... then I started to notice something. These custom made heroes are damn expensive. 😮 Like almost twice as expensive as an original hero .

anyway, my creation: 

Grot wizard

Grot: 3DP
Wizard (Free): 1 cast / 1 unbind
weapon 1: Axe = 1DP
weapon 2: improvised = 0 DP
Consumate commander= 5DP

Ward= 3DP
Regenerate=3DP
Archmage = 3DP

Move: 5 inch
Bravery: 4
Wounds: 4
Save 6+

Weapon 1: 3 attacks 4+ to hit 3+ to wound rend -1 damage 1
Weapon 2: 3 attacks 4+ to hit 4+ to wound rend 0 damage 1

18 DP = 180 points. 

A "normal" Fungoid cave shaman comes at 90 ptn

While my custom hero still feels cool, my army would be better off with 2x Fungoid cave shamans. 😛 
Anyone else feels bummed out too by this?
Or am I missing something? 

Ps:

I also recreated the light of eltharion, because it's awesome! I came at a whopping 47 dp :o That's 470 points to try and try to recreate a model that's 220 points.  I was trying to make a grot version of the light of eltharion... "The Nightlamp of Skarsnik."

But you have created a different model with regeneration and archmage. Those have to cost something.

Why not have a grot priest, choose the 12" ward save aura, improv weapon, put 5 points into bravery  and make it inspiring so everyone can roll v bravery of 9. Thats 9dp/90 points of very useful grot. 

9 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I'd rather have that and pay over the top for it, than have that and have it undercosted.  People are going to take the save because it's the best. Full stop. Call it cynical, but in more than 35 years of hobby gaming, I can't say I've witnessed more than a handful of players choose to not take what they think is the "best" stuff when given a chance. Yeah, sure, sometimes they obfuscate their reason for taking the best stuff with some kind of fluff or other "friendly" application of hobby justification, but at the end of the day, they are taking the thing that they understand to be the most kick butt.

At least the high cost accounts for peoples' innate leanings toward power.

ethereal should be limited to nighthaunt heroes. Hopefully the faq fixes that. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Laststand said:

ethereal should be limited to nighthaunt heroes. Hopefully the faq fixes that. 

Nighthaunt already get that as part of their kit. At the end of the day, it's entirely decided by the players, so if I see someone with their Ethereal Grot with a stick and a plank of wood, I'm going to turn it down.

Things like being a fire daemon, a spirit or creature made from stone, I would likely be fine with, since there's a genuine reason why they are; as opposed to this is Ethereal because.

13 hours ago, Laststand said:

But you have created a different model with regeneration and archmage. Those have to cost something.

Why not have a grot priest, choose the 12" ward save aura, improv weapon, put 5 points into bravery  and make it inspiring so everyone can roll v bravery of 9. Thats 9dp/90 points of very useful grot. 

Nice idea! :D

After a few more attempts in creating several heroes and understanding the system better, I must say I panicked about the cost a bit too early. I played my first game yesterday with two custom made heroes and it was great fun and balanced. Like your example, it's actually amazing to get a support character in your army, where I was first focussing to much on damage output and survivability. 

This is the "Child of Light" I used for my Realmlord's army yesterday.  (18DP / 180 points)

image.png.75efacb222a39e048f06a25ae17e4418.png

Edited by KingGabaSnagga

On 7/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, KingGabaSnagga said:

I was having fun creating all those heroes that have been stuck in my head for some time... then I started to notice something. These custom made heroes are damn expensive. 😮 Like almost twice as expensive as an original hero .

anyway, my creation: 

Grot wizard

Grot: 3DP
Wizard (Free): 1 cast / 1 unbind
weapon 1: Axe = 1DP
weapon 2: improvised = 0 DP
Consumate commander= 5DP

Ward= 3DP
Regenerate=3DP
Archmage = 3DP

Move: 5 inch
Bravery: 4
Wounds: 4
Save 6+

Weapon 1: 3 attacks 4+ to hit 3+ to wound rend -1 damage 1
Weapon 2: 3 attacks 4+ to hit 4+ to wound rend 0 damage 1

18 DP = 180 points. 

A "normal" Fungoid cave shaman comes at 90 ptn

While my custom hero still feels cool, my army would be better off with 2x Fungoid cave shamans. 😛 
Anyone else feels bummed out too by this?
Or am I missing something? 

I think it’s a fair comment that a character creator probably is going to cost a bit more than preset heroes just for the fact that you can mix and match the bits you like, equally I would say try and restrain yourself from throwing on too many extras - it can be tempting but they really do add up. For example if you stripped out archmage, regenerate and ward you’d be at the same price point as the fungoid.

I had a go at at Moonclan shaman on a Squig, I’ve taken a few liberties like swapping in a random movement stat (there’s currently no way to do that but it’s arguably a nerf vs M8”) and exchanging the Grot keyword for Squig to make it fit with the GSG tome mechanics better.

Grot - 3
mage staff - 1
Mage - 0
mounted Beast - 8
fly - 4
+1 attack to Maw - 1
Vicious charge - 1

total = 18

I don’t feel great about it costing 180, tbh I think that fly is kind of overvalued on him but it’s a standard rule for squigs so I threw it on anyway. Maybe if fly cost 4DP for a gargantuan and 2DP for a mounted beast that would be better? Having said that I think he’d actually be reasonable value for 140 without fly as a wizard who can keep up with my squigalanche.

733AF3A3-B03E-49B8-9290-56DBF8F2498E.jpeg

Edited by Spiney Norman
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, Qrow said:

I agree to your points, and also made a heap of mistakes as it was about 2am when I made it. No idea why I thought you could increase the damage of mount attacks and apparently for free as well... how about this version, severely toned down.

I still gave it a 4+, because the 5+ GW gave the colossal makes me sad, especially when the manglers get a 4+. It has no Ethereal however, and I kept its points closer to the original. This version is basically a slight step up from a loonboss on mangler squig, a little more damage and survivability, slower, but with a +hit command ability that squig armies struggle to access.

Screenshot_20200718-081930_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Is it really legit to have 5 Attacks with 7 Damage? This is bonkers...

On 7/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, Qrow said:

I agree to your points, and also made a heap of mistakes as it was about 2am when I made it. No idea why I thought you could increase the damage of mount attacks and apparently for free as well... how about this version, severely toned down.

I still gave it a 4+, because the 5+ GW gave the colossal makes me sad, especially when the manglers get a 4+. It has no Ethereal however, and I kept its points closer to the original. This version is basically a slight step up from a loonboss on mangler squig, a little more damage and survivability, slower, but with a +hit command ability that squig armies struggle to access.

Screenshot_20200718-081930_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Your stats are incorrect. The Colossal Maw column in the damage table should be 4, 3, 2, 1, 1. There is no ability selected to increase the maw's damage. There isn't even an option available to do that. Savage frenzy only increases the number of attacks.

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux

3 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Your stats are incorrect. The Colossal Maw column in the damage table should be 4, 3, 2, 1, 1. There is no ability selected to increase the maw's damage. Savage frenzy only increases the number of attacks.

Which is funny, because I noted in the post that they was no option that increased damage but somehow missed actually editing the warscroll.

I have since revised the hero anyway, I'll attach the new version to this post. It does slightly, as in about 1-1.5 wounds, more damage on the charge compared to the loon+mangler, is a little more survivable with a 3+, but costs 50 points more. I think, when comparing to the loonboss on mangler, its main weakness is that it degrades properly, where the mangler is still lethal even with only a wound left.

It's main draw, other than being able to use the colossal squig model,  is being able to buff hit rolls in my all squig lists.

Screenshot_20200719-234000_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

On 7/17/2020 at 11:37 PM, Sleboda said:

Does anyone know if this tool is approved by GW? I can see the disclaimer, but that's not quite what I'm asking.

I'm a big supporter of the rights of creators, even when those creators are big businesses. I really want to use this tool to make my own warscrolls. If GW is giving the thumbs up, then yeehaw heck yeah I'm using it. If not, I'm not.

The fact the GW provided their own template rather than pointing to one created by a community champion gives me pause.

Note: I'm not accusing @RuneBrush of any bad behavior, and in fact think what he's created is cool as heck. I just want to be sure I'm supporting creators appropriately.

Absolutely not approved or condoned in the slightest!  I have used graphics that I've taken from warscrolls generated by GW, so completely understand if you want to stick to just the template they've provided (which I actually missed that they had done!).

I know GW's policy is generally keeping all their tools and resources being supplied by their own team, so it doesn't surprise me they produced their own template.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:08 PM, Ghoooouls said:

Vampire lord changes the characteristic, it doesnt add 1. 'A model with an ancient shield has a save characteristic of 3+'

Adding to saves is worded like the grave guard shields 'add 1 to save rolls for models carrying crypt shields' and (a lot) more shields that most units get. Changing the characteristic is quite rare.

In the AoA it very clearly states 'add 1 to the save characteristic', not 'add 1 to save rolls'.

That's exactly what I meant I just didn't bother writing characteristic. What I said was spot on the vamp Lords warscroll has a 4+ save the shield adds 1 to save(characteristic) making his save 3+(characteristic) 

Remember nearly everyone gets saves wrong. When you get to add one to save rolls they just say right my save is now this, they forget that adding to save rolls only modify the dice. 

• Like 1

Gw narrative rules writer: ‘guys, guys, I’ve got it! I’ve made this cool custom hero creator. Everyone will love it! ‘

Gw coke snorting competitie rules writer:’ I’ve just finished tzeentch and even I can see they will fight about this. ‘

Gw narrative rules writer:’ no they won’t. Look I’ll put it in the narrative section. Those guys are super nice, always. And I’ll even put in that everyone can use it in competitive as long both players agree. 
it’ll be fine, i promise. What could go wrong. ‘

well apparently the rules for shields 😂

Edited by Kramer
  • Haha 2

I mean...  for all that ethereal and shields don't play nice, they otherwise did a pretty good job of it.  Everything else you can do is a little bit too expensive (points-wise) and can't really break the game.  A much preferred outcome to the opposite, where if things were too cheap or good we'd just shelve the whole system and never see it again.  This way, it might actually get used and tweaked and improved!  I'd love to see the in the next revision of this: the one page of hero upgrades expanded to 3 or 5 pages, and include the options for more keywords, etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'd love to see the in the next revision of this: the one page of hero upgrades expanded to 3 or 5 pages

So do I.

I really hope this is not a one shot ruleset but to see it a litle expanded and adjusted in next GhB.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 8:09 PM, Beliman said:

Wow - how did you make your war scroll look so nice?

7 hours ago, RedMax said:

So do I.

I really hope this is not a one shot ruleset but to see it a litle expanded and adjusted in next GhB.

As with all things, if we embrace it and advertise the fact that we're using the rules then there's a higher chance we'll see it taken forward in the future.  Things like this thread are a great start - let's keep this rolling beyond the honeymoon period and we'll see what comes out of it.

• Like 2