The Anvil of Apotheosis - Post your creation

The General’s Handbook 2020 will be released this weekend andwill  bring to us a new tool: The Anvil of Apotheosis.

If rules are not (officially) out yet, WC already described that "The Anvil of Apotheosis is a super-flexible, intuitive and simple system that lets you create pretty much any hero you can imagine". System is based on Destiny Point usage that can be translated at the end into a Army point cost for your hero!

I see this as a great addition to the game as it fullfill mutiples needs like:

- Hand tailoring a hero or NPC for a narrative play (with associated army point cost, not always easy to evaluate when done by yourself)

- beeing able to re-field old mini that lose warscroll or points (yes, I'm looking at you Freeguild general on horse)

- providing to your heart faction the buff or abability you always know as was the only missing bit that prevent you to rules your local battlefields!

- find a use for all that bits you've stored since year that could so well fit together on a hero but no existing warscoll could capture the awesomeness of your creation!

Warhammer Community, in their article on the subject, provided a warscroll template as pdf to support the caracter creation.

Alternatively (and more convinient to use), we have the Warscroll Designer build by our friend @RuneBrush that allow to fullfill warscroll online (definitively my prefered option).

I would really interested to see what others created and for what purpose!

If using existing GW mini, for which mini did you build what warscoll (and why/what role expected in your army).

If using non GW standard mini (conversion or other brand mini) a picture of the mini and the created warscoll.

I also wanted to thank @RuneBrush for his work done on Warscroll Designer and encourage all of you to support him to performe a refresh to support Anvil of Apotheosis, this would be awersome!

Edited by RedMax
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mortal Khorne Lord on Juggernaut (Mounted Beast) 400 pt.

Extra Armour x2
Etheral 

Grand Hammer 
Mighty Weapon x3 (+3DMG) 
Ferocity x3 (+3 Att.) 
Weapon Master x2 (+2 to hit) 

Savage Frenzy (+2 Att. on a maw of Juggernaut)

With Goretide Host
Command Trait - Add 1 to the Damage characteristic of this general`s melee weapon
Artefact - Gorecleaver: +1 Rend, 6 to wound = double DMG

Ended with:

7 Wound, 3+ Etheral, 8" Move, 7 Bravery Hero with profile:

5 x 2+/2+/-3/7 DMG (14 DMG on a roll of 6 to wound)
2 x 5+/5+/-/1 DMG
3 x 4+/3+/-1/D3 DMG

Before any buffs (Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, Aspiring champion, Warthmongers...) :)

Hero Builder is really cool. I hope  it will be allowed on some tournaments (but with some restriction like only one custom hero per army etc.).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bombort said:

Love it!

How do you get to a Damage of 5 for the Great Axe?

I don't know the name in english, it's an Atribute Update (max 3) that cost 2DP.  Something like "Deathly Weapon" maybe? it cost 2 DPs for 1 damage.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Well of Eternity said:

Mortal Khorne Lord on Juggernaut (Mounted Beast)

Nice!

I have to admit that I didn't think about him. I also have him (because that's a goregouse mini) but almost never use it due to his warscroll not beeing really impacting. this look like a nice way to field him!

• Like 1

Always wanted to make a Bonesplitterz hero with a big totem, to fit the tribal theme of the army. I tryed to make something cheap on point to be easier to find space for him in a list. 140 points, +1 caster wizard with the save reducing spell (to help with the lack of rend in the army) and a 10 bravery bubble to rise the Savage orruks bravery.

da-icon (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Dukeus said:

I like how everyone did a 3+ ethereal hero. I did the same. 😄

So you can Stack the attributes. Like heavy armor * 3 for example 

There are crazy options with this tool!!! A Dragon Ogor can go down to 2+ save with etheral or a Ninja Skaven Sniper that can headshot any 5wounds hero without not being targeteable near a terrain... This tool is awesome!! I just need more faction-specific options in every new battletome!!!

• Like 1

Yea,  custom heroes shine when you mix battle traits and artefacts from battletome with builder option.  It's amazing what you can achieve.  

Another nice option is aelven archer (270 points).  With bow,  it's 18" range + 6" move with

Sharpened edge x3 (rend+3)

Mighty weapon (dmg +3)

Ferocity (attack +3)

Weapon master (to hit +1)

Superior strenght (to wound +1)

5x 3+/3+/-3/5 DMG :)

Edited by Well of Eternity
  • Like 1

Anyone else notice they seem to have forgotten, or intentionally missed out some faction keywords?

Lumineth aelf wont be able to cast any lumineth spells or choose any faction traits or artefacts.

Flesh eater courts mordant hero cannot choose any traits or artefacts from the FEC battletome. Cannot be given abhorrant or courtier keyword so will not benefit from any buffs like being near serf units in morgaunt grand court, casting a spell wont buff varghulf as they cant be abhorrant etc. Etc.

Theres a lot like this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

There are crazy options with this tool!!! A Dragon Ogor can go down to 2+ save with etheral or a Ninja Skaven Sniper that can headshot any 5wounds hero without not being targeteable near a terrain... This tool is awesome!! I just need more faction-specific options in every new battletome!!!

Armour characteristic enhancement caps out at 3+ save so 3+ ethereal is the best, if you want to get a better save you'll need to equip a shield on your hero and that adds 1 to save rolls, so as it is a modifier therefore the ethereal rule ignores it, meaning your save would still be 3+ ethereal even with the shield.

I really like what I see though, other than my other comment about not having certain keywords, and I really hope it catches on for future tomes.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghoooouls said:

Armour characteristic enhancement caps out at 3+ save so 3+ ethereal is the best, if you want to get a better save you'll need to equip a shield on your hero and that adds 1 to save rolls, so as it is a modifier therefore the ethereal rule ignores it, meaning your save would still be 3+ ethereal even with the shield.

Yep I know. That's why you need to look for a trait or artifact that add 1 to the save characteristic and not the roll! Crazy combos here and there!

But like you said two posts above, sadly there are a lot of armies that can't combine traits nor artifacts because they need an specific keyword.

Edited by Beliman

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yep I know. That's why you need to look for a trait or artifact that add 1 to the characteristic and not the roll! Crazy combos here and there!

But like you said two posts above, sadly there are a lot of armies that can't combine traits nor artifacts because they need an specific keyword.

Ah sorry I misunderstood what you meant then!

Yeah I think my group will make a house rule that as long as it makes sense, we can add the relevant keyword. So I can make a ghoul king and give him the abhorrant one or whatever. That's the best thing about AoS in my opinion, making a nice blend of tournament and fun!

• Like 1

I created a version of the Silver Towers Mistweaver Saih with usuable keywords. I tried to follow her lore when putting together this warscroll. She comes out at 10 DP. She costs only 6 DP if you leave her move characteristic at the default 6", but I figured that no one would allow me to field her if she is too cheap, so I dumped some points in a rather unimportant stat.

Mistweaver Saih.jpg

• Like 7

Anyone else giddy to see what the extent of the weapon and mount options are?

Since it's Narrative they're bound to go a bit crazy with it and there's players fantasizing about stuff like Saurus on Stonehorns but I'd be happy with putting my Stormcast hero on a Magmadroth and giving him a Sylvaneth bow to symbolize Hammerhal's combined realm cities.

(Though if they do go cross Grand Alliance then I can't resist a Fyreslayer on wraith horse in his defense of the Shyish Lodges with a fire spirit or an Ironjawz merc back from the Eight-Points on a Juggernaut or Nurgle flyer he won in Gorechosen)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

That's why it didn't stand a ghost of a chance in making it to Matched play. xD

I like that Narratively though, since a lot of Anviled heroes are gonna be based on the AoS rpg you can just say Ethereal is the battlefield equivalent of being Soulbound.

Plus Mortal Realms heroes would sensibly take every over-the-top magical advantage they could to survive on the eldritch realmscapes as it is with the crazy realm items. Certainly lots of Shyish magic lying around thanks to the Soul Wars to tap into for that. ;)

I think bringing back a system of options for heroes that existed as a similar format to how old army books worked would be fine. 
This concept still lets players go hog wild and convert with things GW don’t have strict models for.

gw doesn’t have models to represent an array of combos with Anvil, so why can’t they have that same creativity for matched play options like they used to?

i could see certain restrictions like: CoS have access to all current mounts in that book + x stormcast mounts etc.

then maybe there are some general options across books that you pay a premium for.

But it doesn’t matter, this feature will be gone by the next ghb and the ploy to get people to spend money and make crazy things they won’t be able to later use will have worked until it’s replaced by something else

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Ohh, lantern ranged weapon and custom spells. That's awesome!  :D

2 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I think bringing back a system of options for heroes that existed as a similar format to how old army books worked would be fine. 

Haha, as you keep saying on twitter and here twice. I respect the commitment to that desire even though i'm on the other team. xD

I definitely like the Anvil to be it's own unique thing and give massive amounts of custom options rather than watered down to fit some echo of the dead past.

2 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

But it doesn’t matter, this feature will be gone by the next ghb and the ploy to get people to spend money and make crazy things they won’t be able to later use

Of course they'll keep using them. I know you equate this to mercs but those failed because they were Matched.

By keeping this Narrative focused players will continue using and customizing heroes even after the gimmick's long gone because that's the focus. Heck with official only, it's friendly gaming.

Play them in Open,Narrative, Quest, Soulbound and proxy them in Matched, Warcry and UnderWorlds.

Lots of fun ahead. :D

Speaking of which I really like this fellow's idea for a three form hero:

"Ricki Smith

3 forms of various incarnations. Mostly just to depict them at different points in the storyline. So “Fledgling" assassin with his living shadow "midpoint" half shadow assassin on steed made of shadow “climax" fullblend shadow atop monsterous moun

The shadow duplicate might well just be a model I swap in when he casts random spell on himself. So his "mystic shield" is actually transitioning into shadow, so when I have the shadowform on the board I know he's got mystic shield on etc."

Edited by Baron Klatz

IMO it´s a great tool and I´m going to try to introduce it in my gaming group. Though there is some heavily powergaming opportunities. It´s not only the ethreal, it´s also that tasty +1 to attack rolls in melee spell. It´s also that +1 to cast or prey.

And if you´re going for a Living City hero you can build one monster that is able to ambush, shoot the foe and then more or less savely makes it charge. Do you wanna see this on the table?

• Like 1