Making Lord Aventis / LA on Tauralon work

Evantas

Hi all, as per the subject title above. I got the model for a very low cost 2 years ago, wondering how to make use of it. 

With a substantial drop from 340 to 300 and 280 respectively for Aventis and the general LA, are there any strategies now to make them work? 

I also want to know the following:

1) Does the comet trail stack with Lord Ordinator's ability? 

2) Can you fly 7' to an enemy, just touching, then fly 7' back to your original location and get the comet trail buff? 

22 minutes ago, Evantas said:

1) Does the comet trail stack with Lord Ordinator's ability? 

2) Can you fly 7' to an enemy, just touching, then fly 7' back to your original location and get the comet trail buff? 

Yes and yes sir!
I think that at 280 he is decent now but have to test him out.

I'll be honest - I'm actually considering one to run in Hallowheart now, as he makes an excellent target for the command ability, and there he can get 3 spells to cast.   Also, at 280 points now he is the same cost as a hurricanum, and costs less than either the Sorceress on Black Dragon or the Battlemage on Griffon.

As for running in stormcast... I still don't think that he's worth it.  The problem for stormcast is that they don't have magical superiority, and don't get good bonuses to casting (unless you are running multiple stardrakes), and you can get 2 incantors for less than 1 Taurelion which is going to give you the same number of casts, more dispels, and 2 auto-dispels.  But since most of his power comes from the fact that he is a 2 cast wizard, without those bonuses to cast I'm not sure you can afford to invest that many points into running him.

Maybe a gran convocation list with endless spells can be good, tauralot+ exo+ 2 incantators an battalion is 740pts if you put sequiots plus evocatos for bodies it shouldnt be that bad

Edit: i would also put a cleasing phalax for extra madness xD

Edited by Yondaime

Tryed this list with good results, won a game against seraphon

it was SO GOOD to outcast the lizards

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- General
- Command Trait: Portents and Omens
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Azyr
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Artefact: Hammers of Aurgury
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Celestial Blades

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
10 x Protectors (360)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)
Dais Arcanum (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2200 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

Basically you get +2 to cast with the command point on the tauralon, if he cast 2 spells, he get -2 to get hit and with chain lighting he give -1 to hit to another unit, protectors give cover, also he can dish an obscene ammount of MW, next turn, use the incantator scroll to dispell the endless and recast everblaze

If dices are with you you can even  delete some heroes turn 1

use the sequiotos and palladors as objective grabbers

Thinking if protectors are worth it or if it is better to put a shooting unit like Judi or vanguards

Also, with the warbringers D3 redeploy you can play so many mind games and ****** with the opponent set up

1 hour ago, Yondaime said:

Basically you get +2 to cast with the command point on the tauralon, if he cast 2 spells, he get -2 to get hit and with chain lighting he give -1 to hit to another unit, protectors give cover, also he can dish an obscene ammount of MW, next turn, use the incantator scroll to dispell the endless and recast everblaze

I think the staff of Azyr only gives -1 to hit notwithstanding the number of spells you cast, but kudos for the victory!

Can the Lord Arcanum Tauralon act as an Anvil? 

Staunch Defender w Staff of Azyr , casting Mystic Shield, gives him -1 to be hit, 2+ saves with reroll 1s. If he wiffs mystic shield he still can cast arcane bolt and get the -1 to be hit. 

Add a Castallent as desired, and healing.

6 minutes ago, Evantas said:

Staunch Defender w Staff of Azyr , casting Mystic Shield, gives him -1 to be hit, 2+ saves with reroll 1s. If he wiffs mystic shield he still can cast arcane bolt and get the -1 to be hit. 

In that role I would pick the Thundershock spell too, to give (another) -1 to hit to units in 6"

16 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I think the staff of Azyr only gives -1 to hit notwithstanding the number of spells you cast, but kudos for the victory!

In your hero phase, if the bearer successfully casts any spells that are not unbound, subtract 1 from hit rolls for attacks that target the bearer until your next hero phase.

Didnt find any FAQ about it, but it says any type of spells, not any NUMBER of spells. its not really clear about it, but i think it stacks, i asked a judge in my local at it says so

Still solid if it is just a -1 tho

Edited by Yondaime

15 minutes ago, Evantas said:

With staunch you lose the +1 at casting tho

1 hour ago, Yondaime said:

In your hero phase, if the bearer successfully casts any spells that are not unbound, subtract 1 from hit rolls for attacks that target the bearer until your next hero phase.

Didnt find any FAQ about it, but it says any type of spells, not any NUMBER of spells. its not really clear about it, but i think it stacks, i asked a judge in my local at it says so

Still solid if it is just a -1 tho

Not a native speaker here and I would lean in favour of interpreting this formulation as an ON/OFF switch, but good to know!

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Not a native speaker here and I would lean in favour of interpreting this formulation as an ON/OFF switch, but good to know!

Agreed, I would have definitely interpreted this as an ON/OFF switch, where if you successfully cast a spell you get -1 to hit, but it doesn't matter how many spells are cast.  I would definitely be cautious of trying to interpret this otherwise in most settings, and would clarify with your opponent/judge before trying to interpret it that way at an event.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, i'm currently building an army centered arround a Tauralon, my list is the following:

Tauralon: staunch defender/staff of focus/everblaze comet
Knight Heraldor
Lord castellant

15 sequitors
5 libs
5libs
4 concussors
2x3 aetherwings
6 raptors longstrike

Lots of drops here but our batallions are ****** anyway, here's the strat.
Tauralon is the big fast support piece, ideally i'd like to cast the comet early and drop it arround the support heroes of my opponent then finish them with the raptors using scion of the storm.
Staff of focus helps me to get some breakpoints easier and having at least 2MW for each piece under the 10" radius is key here.

Castellant will shine his lantern on the sequitors or concussors depending of how aggressive i want to go.
If i play defensively i'll keep the concussors out of reach and boost sequitor's armor to shield the army core and get the sweet 2+ reroll with lantern and staunch/cover.

Dracoth combo quite well with the tauralon i believe, the sweet +1 to hit when tauralon fly over a unit is really helpful on their breath attack and the lord arcanum ability to save seomeone by negating a crucial wound is really helpful on such solid models (you can easily have a 2+ rerolling 1's or even more if you combine the right bonuses ).

lastly i like to get some aetherwings on my side to cap points early and/or play the sacrifice units and libs will stay in the sky to make them drop where i need them, either to fill a gap in the frontline or to get objectives early if i really need to iinstead of aetherwings.

I'll probably suffer with that kind of list against a heavy shooting army and i'm really vulnerable to MW myself but what do you think of this?

2 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

Hey guys, i'm currently building an army centered arround a Tauralon, my list is the following:

Knight Heraldor
Lord castellant

15 sequitors
5 libs
5libs
4 concussors
2x3 aetherwings
6 raptors longstrike

Tauralon is the big fast support piece, ideally i'd like to cast the comet early and drop it arround the support heroes of my opponent then finish them with the raptors using scion of the storm.
Staff of focus helps me to get some breakpoints easier and having at least 2MW for each piece under the 10" radius is key here.

Castellant will shine his lantern on the sequitors or concussors depending of how aggressive i want to go.
If i play defensively i'll keep the concussors out of reach and boost sequitor's armor to shield the army core and get the sweet 2+ reroll with lantern and staunch/cover.

Dracoth combo quite well with the tauralon i believe, the sweet +1 to hit when tauralon fly over a unit is really helpful on their breath attack and the lord arcanum ability to save seomeone by negating a crucial wound is really helpful on such solid models (you can easily have a 2+ rerolling 1's or even more if you combine the right bonuses ).

lastly i like to get some aetherwings on my side to cap points early and/or play the sacrifice units and libs will stay in the sky to make them drop where i need them, either to fill a gap in the frontline or to get objectives early if i really need to iinstead of aetherwings.

I'll probably suffer with that kind of list against a heavy shooting army and i'm really vulnerable to MW myself but what do you think of this?

I don't think it is a bad list at all, and could potentially work nicely with the new Broken Realms rules (and potentially use one of the battalions).

One thing to note is that the staff of focus doesn't work with the comet (I think that's what you were suggesting)

28 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

I don't think it is a bad list at all, and could potentially work nicely with the new Broken Realms rules (and potentially use one of the battalions).

One thing to note is that the staff of focus doesn't work with the comet (I think that's what you were suggesting)

Damn i didn't read that...

Without comet i need something else to spread mw everywhere, also what battalions where you thinking about?

If i remove the raptors and the comet, it leaves me 460pts that i can invest into 3 ballistas and lord ordinator (470pts).
His command ability can really help me to get things stucked into combat and they could also greatly benefits from the LA +1 to hit buff (making them hit on 3+, they're also greatly resilient, especially if i drop them into a cover).

The list lose a bit of it's power though as i can't assassinate support heroes as fast as i would like to but i think i can still apply this strategy against big center piece by creating a big saturation of rend -2 shots if i focus fire (we're looking at 20+ wounds rend-2 on average if we consider hitting on 3+ but ballistas are swingy).

Edited by jeanfluflu

3 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

Knight Heraldor
Lord castellant

15 sequitors
5 libs
5libs
4 concussors
2x3 aetherwings
6 raptors longstrike

You know what else works really well with Taularon? Judicators.

Theyre battleline, and now you can take more of them if your plan is to buff up their hit profile with the LA.

Judis hitting on 2s are excellent imo.

Thinking about what you guys said and here's what i come up with:

- Tauralon:
staunch defender/azyrite halo/celestial blades
- Lord ordinator
- Lord castellant

- 20 sequitors
- 2x5 liberators
- 4 concussors

- 3 ballistas
Prismatic palissade

The palissade can help block a charge like hte aetherwings could, i'm not counting on the debuff since it can happen on my units as well and it goes on a 5+.
I had 30pts left and thought it could be a good idea.

The rest of the list plays similarly expect for the comet that i removed, we'll see how the balistas goes.
I also removed the knight heraldor .

I can build almost the same thing with judicators if i remove 5 sequitors, maybe it's something that can help me i don't know yet:

- Tauralon:
staunch defender/azyrite halo/celestial blades
- Lord ordinator
- Lord castellant

- 15 sequitors
- 2x5 judicators
- 4 concussors

- 3 ballistas
Prismatic palissade

• 2 months later...
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (200)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
Lord-Exorcist (90)
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (280)

- General
Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Artillery
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

what ya think!?
Grand convocation for mantain CP every hero phase + of course ballistas, tauralon for the comet and some support.
liberators are the body, that can be modified,  2xlib +judicators for more shoot
Dracoth is a punchy hero to go near tauralon.