What have I missed

First thing - there was a second edition in 2018 and yes all those books are obsolete. Ironjawza are now together with Bonesplitterz in Orruk Warclans battletome, Beastclaw Riders are now together with other ogors in Ogor Mawtribes BT, Blades of Khorne has new book, GA books are useless now and there is new Core book. Oh, and new General's Handbook is going to be released soon.

Edited by michu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding to previous replies: Parts of Grand Alliance: Destruction book are still valid. Things that are not in any battletome still use warscrolls from that book for the most part (greenskinz and such), but they're mostly not competitive in any shape or form at this point and anything that hasn't already will likely be soon phased out to Legends for casual games only.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darthbeerder said:

Oh well, looks like I'm shelling out for updates 

Honestly you won't regret it.

The tomes you have now are great kernels of lore and history as they give a viewpoint from the Age of Chaos the current books look back on and yours have immersive in-lore battleplans but since then the tomes have added so much more with tons of lore, skirmish points, path to glory,  unique battleplans that trade lore immersion with wider army compatibility, army-specific, magic, relics, Endless Spells, summonable scenery and the sub-factions have gone from just paint schemes to their own force compositions that give special traits, items and battleline unlocks.

A big plus is every tome that's brought armies together (like the new Ogors combining Gutbusters with Beastclaws) doesn't just mash them together but fleshes them out further so you can still play one side of the two factions with more variations thrown in, like Beastclaws now with Chamon variants that ride down from storm islands while using alchemy or bigger Everwinter ones that finally learned to control the magical cursed blizzards to ambush prey and stuff like Gutbusters with albino Ulgu gunmakers that lurk in the shadowy catacombs forging the explosives they love and then those tomes provide one giant mixed clan so you can combine the factions together for a unified army if all the other sub-faction focused flavors didn't do it for you.

And of course getting the latest General's handbook is important not just for the up-to-date points for Matched but how each keeps building on new Realmscape battles (scenery, items and that realm's magic your wizards can harness) and more Narrative and Open Play. The upcoming one featuring sky battles, narrative hero customization and ally charts for more in-depth multiplayer battles.

You can check out the Warhammer community site and Mengal miniatures reviews to help plan out your future purchases.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/ogor-mawtribes-the-sub-factionsgw-homepage-post-2/

http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2019/10/review-orruk-warclans.html?m=1

In summary, it's worth it if you want add a lot more layers to the solid AoS core experience. :)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dekay said:

Adding to previous replies: Parts of Grand Alliance: Destruction book are still valid. Things that are not in any battletome still use warscrolls from that book for the most part (greenskinz and such), but they're mostly not competitive in any shape or form at this point and anything that hasn't already will likely be soon phased out to Legends for casual games only.

Yep, I would argue that some Greenskinz units can be competitive within a Big Waaagh, but I certainly wouldn't be going out and accumulating any more at this point.  

I'll never bin that book because it has a lot of good memories - even the fluff in it was quite good.  But even if you're running Greenskinz in Big Waaagh, all you need is a couple of Warscrolls that are in the app, so it lives on the shelf now. 

It was actually my main "Battletome" at an event as recently as this time last year (Dwellers Below event in Melbourne), when I ran Mixed Destruction. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Darthbeerder said:

Oh well, looks like I'm shelling out for updates 

A quick piece of  practical ( albeit controversial) advice. Unless you just want to read the fluff, you can get by in this game pretty easily without buying battletomes. Things are a bit different now than in WHF, where a book was good for 5-10 years. Now you can expect new books every 2 years. (or less!)

Warscrolls are free on the App and allegiance rules are easily accessed via Battlescribe or 1d4chan. However most people I know commit their's to memory after a game or two.

As long as you have the latest GHB you are good to go. Save that $300 for minis! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

Have to admit I’m genuinely gutted the photo In the original post here wasn’t of a bunch of just pre-End Times books.

No that was the last time I had a break and my beautiful chaos army were downgraded to slaves to darkness by the time I came back 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:08 AM, Baron Klatz said:

A big plus is every tome that's brought armies together (like the new Ogors combining Gutbusters with Beastclaws) doesn't just mash them together but fleshes them out further so you can still play one side of the two factions with more variations thrown in, like Beastclaws now with Chamon variants that ride down from storm islands while using alchemy

I loved the snippet about Thunderbellies figuring out how to trap the bolts of lightning when a Stormcast dies, and putting it in the Mawpot as "Lightning Meat".  All those SCE going missing in Chamon, because Ogors have eaten their souls!

I'm also a huge fan of Braggoth.  His Battalion was a low-key fan favourite, so although I was initially disappointed that it didn't make it into the new book, it was awesome to see that he's alive and kicking in the storyline.  Frozen in an ice block since the Age of Chaos, then thaws out ready to rumble!  A bridge between ancient and modern eras - I love it.  A White Dwarf short story and named character Warscroll would be the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I loved the snippet about Thunderbellies figuring out how to trap the bolts of lightning when a Stormcast dies, and putting it in the Mawpot as "Lightning Meat". 

Not just alchemy savants but very Spirited cooks indeed. xD

The Stormhosts need to do what they did with the Deepkin and show the thunderous soul-eaters that the Nighthaunt provide a plentiful buffet instead.

Frozen in an ice block since the Age of Chaos, then thaws out ready to rumble!

Yeah, that's a fun way to get past the centuries moving storyline. Everwinter ready freeze-dried Beastclaws, just reheat after several centuries every time to have your badass warlord unite the Ogors and Ironjawz again to crush the strange enemies with every new age and continuing to seek out the fabled Ghurian Golden Lands to keep his peoples fed with endless hunts. :D

A White Dwarf short story and named character Warscroll would be the icing on the cake.

Fully agreed.

At least he's got good representation in Age of Sigmar Champions right now as Braggoth the Forgotten Frostlord. His card is fun for spamming lots of powerful beasts and his online event is a fun one as you cope with his Beastclaw stampedes and Ghur ice magic.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1