Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Indecisive

So what's next for Stormcast?

On 7/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, readercolin said:

I would recommend looking at some of the new lists coming out of the Starcast thread.  There are a few people in there that are looking into running an Arcanum as their wizard, and also a few people looking at running Concussors as a hammer in addition to their drakes.  Anything beyond that and you are looking at a less competitive list.

That being said, if you are ok with playing a less competitive list, the following is mine:

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline
Knight-Incantor
Knight-Heraldor
Lord-Ordinator

5x Sequitors
5x Sequitors
5x Sequitors

6 Evocators on Dracoline

Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista

Command Point

You could take something like this, and either swap out the dracolines for your Concussors (which also eliminates the need to take the Arcanum on Dracoline, so you can swap in your Gryph Charger).  Alternatively, you can swap out the ballista+ordinator package for the Concussors, and between the 580 points there and the points drop from the upcoming changes, you might be able to fit 6 Concussors in there.  Otherwise, it might be a good idea to see if you can sneak in an Everblaze Comet.  For myself, this list should gain ~60 points if I don't make any modifications, so I'll probably be looking to see if I can slip in an Everblaze Comet.

Do the heavy cavalry like the Draco-Paladins and Evo-dracos perform better in 6s or can one use minimum units for more threat overload?   I really like the Stormcast heavy cavalry variety.  Like a zoo.  I kinda want some pallidors too.  With them I’m aiming for a pretty and fun army that doesn’t completely let me down in performance at least some of the time.  I haven’t seen the points changes yet , if any.  Not really shooty as I have my Flamers of tzeentch for that 🔥 

15 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Do the heavy cavalry like the Draco-Paladins and Evo-dracos perform better in 6s or can one use minimum units for more threat overload?   I really like the Stormcast heavy cavalry variety.  Like a zoo.  I kinda want some pallidors too.  With them I’m aiming for a pretty and fun army that doesn’t completely let me down in performance at least some of the time.  I haven’t seen the points changes yet , if any.  Not really shooty as I have my Flamers of tzeentch for that 🔥 

Evocators on dracolines I find work much better in units of 6, unless you are playing in a meta with a LOT of MSU's.  Basically, if you give a unit of 3 the charge, they will do ~16 damage to a save of -, and ~10 damage to a 4+ save without any buffs, and not counting the celestial lightning arc.  Frequently, when I was playing with them, they would charge forward, hit something, and then stall because they couldn't quite punch through.  Swapping them to a unit of 6 though generally gave them the power to punch through targets.  Now, you can of course give them buffs (+1 to hit from pride leader, +1 to wound from spell, re-roll wounds from spells, re-roll 1's to hit from command ability or celestial vindicators ability, +1 attacks from celestial vindicators command ability, etc.), but many of the buffs are spells or command abilities that are somewhat single target focused, which means that they apply much better to a single unit rather than multiple, which benefits the single unit more again.

As for the various Dracothian Guard units, it depends a little bit on which one.  Concussors?  Sure, run them as MSU's because you can hit and prevent piling in.  Fulminators?  Ehhhh... they are really charge dependent and a pair of them won't really go through whatever they hit, so they really want to be in a 4-6 man squad.  Desolators?  They get an actual bonus to number of attacks based on the number of models in the unit, so they really want to be a 6-8 man squad to maximize that bonus.  Tempestors?  Wait, what are those?  Yeah... you would probably do better to ignore these guys.

Lastly, pallidors.  I haven't used them, so I can't comment.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 Evo-dracos on the way!  Thank you for the inputs.  I think with this shipment I'll be good except for a Knight-Heraldor.  I might customize that Knight-Incantor from the start playing magazine into the Heraldor actually.  

And for some reason ally in Drycha Hamadreth.  Or an Anointed Frostheart Phoenix if I ever get another one cheap.

• Like 1

I agree with @readercolin but keep in mind that placing 6 of them is a pita - plan ahead. So still get 6 but also experiment also. Oh and never run them without buffs imho. The insane damage comes from the buffs on the charge. I am mean 2+ RR1 with wound reroll is so crazy good. 
Mystic shield + Castellant buff is also a nice thing for them, gives them a 3+Rr1 save with heal on a 6.