Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Indecisive

So what's next for Stormcast?

Recommended Posts

It's been about 2 years now since the last release of note, excluding promotional minis. GW seems to have slowed down the Stormcast pipe but I imagine their next step is on the horizon.
So, what's next? All to go off is the likely "Ruination Chamber". But what will that entail and more importantly, what should it entail?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My prediction is AoS 3.

Stormcast have enough warscrolls, they just need internal parity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

My prediction is AoS 3.

Stormcast have enough warscrolls, they just need internal parity.

They lack a proper named boss moster imho, like katakros, teclis et similia

They need to order the battletome tho, 3 warscroll for paladins, 3 for extremis etc, just put them in 1 scroll and the tome will be so much lighter

I hope sooner, they need so much buffs and reworking atm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yondaime said:

They lack a proper named boss moster imho, like katakros, teclis et similia

They need to order the battletome tho, 3 warscroll for paladins, 3 for extremis etc, just put them in 1 scroll and the tome will be so much lighter

I hope sooner, they need so much buffs and reworking atm

 

They have plenty of chunky heroes, many of them named. The Prime is a good example. The warscrolls are just outdated or overcosted or both for the majority of the units.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Laststand said:

They have plenty of chunky heroes, many of them named. The Prime is a good example. The warscrolls are just outdated or overcosted or both for the majority of the units.  

Just want that Big boss Sigmar miniature XD

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With at least 3 chambers yet to be opened (Ruination, Covenant, Logister), there's definitely going to be more models coming down the pipe-line. My hope is that the releases are more like the Extremis Chamber: fewer kits overall. We don't need the bloat, and we sure don't need the hate that would come with another big release.

Given that the next major story-arch is expected to be Order vs Destruction, the Ruination Chamber feels like the next logical step, though there's really no telling.

The expected counter to Destruction would be tough units that hit really hard, but that's basically what our Paladins are supposed to be. Unless they go for a 3-man linebreaker type unit, I can't see a good addition to be made there, and honestly between the Paladins and the Drachothian Guard we wouldn't need a new unit if they patched up the warscrolls.

More siege/artillery pieces would make sense if they're going to be focusing on city battles. Many people are hoping for Lightning Gheists, which would realistically probably function best as a predatory endless spell, given their lore.

End of the day, our army doesn't really need more. What we already have just needs attention.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

End of the day, our army doesn't really need more. What we already have just needs attention.

Unless GW reworks the warscrolls we will need more.  I can't seem them reworking that many warscrolls to be honest, when they could release new models we have to buy.

And there is the SCE haters to think about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chord said:

Unless GW reworks the warscrolls we will need more.  I can't seem them reworking that many warscrolls to be honest, when they could release new models we have to buy.

I think GW knows that they need a balance between the two. New models generate sales, which they need as a company, but keeping older models relevant generated good will with their customers and encourages sales of older stock, which they also need.


GW has done a lot to foster the goodwill of their customers. They've spend 2 years updating all of their armies into the same edition (which, according to long-time WHFB and 40K players is unprecedented). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Stormcast for the time being.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I think GW knows that they need a balance between the two. New models generate sales, which they need as a company, but keeping older models relevant generated good will with their customers and encourages sales of older stock, which they also need.


GW has done a lot to foster the goodwill of their customers. They've spend 2 years updating all of their armies into the same edition (which, according to long-time WHFB and 40K players is unprecedented). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Stormcast for the time being.

 

 

I agree except the SCE part (and a few of the models dropped from COS , like my DrakeSeer).  

The last battletome had lore referencing things like the Knight Azyros original abilities but the warscroll was stripped for it (stop copying/pasting the lore parts).  They could have updated the paladin/liberator/etc warscrolls but chose not to.

If they release a new chamber in the next SCE battletome why would they update the older models? They have new models to push.  

Of course if we get a new SCE Battletome without new models YES I think we stand a chance of getting updated warscrolls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the faction is internally a bit of a mess so I'd expect some warscroll work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unfortunate part is that fixing warscrolls is time invested in minimal returns. Creating new warscrolls sells models.

I'm not saying it's impossible that they'll fix warscrolls. I just think it might not be the grand change ppl are hoping for.  Maybe a rebuilt series of faction rules and stormhost rules would accomplish the same - then ppl would at least need to buy a tome to unlock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the poster boys of AoS GW is doing a bad job at making them op like a certain other poster boy faction in the grim darkness of the far future...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

For the poster boys of AoS GW is doing a bad job at making them op like a certain other poster boy faction in the grim darkness of the far future...

I don’t really follow 40k other than for the models. But didn’t they just come out of multi year dry spell of being terrible competitively? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I don’t really follow 40k other than for the models. But didn’t they just come out of multi year dry spell of being terrible competitively? 

Space Marines? Oh no no...the have been grossly op for a while now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Space Marines were trash for most of 8th edition.  They only got good when their new codex came out a little less than a year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormcast will I'm sure have another 20 kits released when aos3 comes out. Like it's a little crazy stormcast have more units than fyreslayers, idoneth, lumineth and kharadron combined. But sigmar needs to be opening dem chambers. I mean I'm truly not sure where they would go. It's either crazy armour with bigger hammers and bigger everything. Or they do realm/chapter specific stormcast and really go the 40k space marine chapter route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bigger chamber, bigger hammers, bigger and chunkier boys, Chamber Biggerus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been wondering about starting a full Stormcast army, as right now I have a Lord arcanum on gryphcharger and a unit of 2 concussors (been trying Cities but just not real fond of the way they play).  

Is there any good builds using the Dracoth type models and a Lord Arcanum on gryph?    I’m thinking maybe Sequitors as battlelline with Lordy as General and then some Evocators on dracos for that one battalion, Cleansing Phalanx I think.   Then maybe the concussors and a Knight-Heraldor for the run and charge plus terrain exploding?  I could switch out their hammers for axes for a cheaper unit too( I magnetized them).   

Or should I just sit tight and play chaos and Ogors til new Stormcast comes out whenever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I’ve been wondering about starting a full Stormcast army, as right now I have a Lord arcanum on gryphcharger and a unit of 2 concussors (been trying Cities but just not real fond of the way they play).  

Is there any good builds using the Dracoth type models and a Lord Arcanum on gryph?    I’m thinking maybe Sequitors as battlelline with Lordy as General and then some Evocators on dracos for that one battalion, Cleansing Phalanx I think.   Then maybe the concussors and a Knight-Heraldor for the run and charge plus terrain exploding?  I could switch out their hammers for axes for a cheaper unit too( I magnetized them).   

Or should I just sit tight and play chaos and Ogors til new Stormcast comes out whenever?

I would recommend looking at some of the new lists coming out of the Starcast thread.  There are a few people in there that are looking into running an Arcanum as their wizard, and also a few people looking at running Concussors as a hammer in addition to their drakes.  Anything beyond that and you are looking at a less competitive list.

That being said, if you are ok with playing a less competitive list, the following is mine:

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline
Knight-Incantor
Knight-Heraldor
Lord-Ordinator

5x Sequitors
5x Sequitors
5x Sequitors

6 Evocators on Dracoline

Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista

Command Point

You could take something like this, and either swap out the dracolines for your Concussors (which also eliminates the need to take the Arcanum on Dracoline, so you can swap in your Gryph Charger).  Alternatively, you can swap out the ballista+ordinator package for the Concussors, and between the 580 points there and the points drop from the upcoming changes, you might be able to fit 6 Concussors in there.  Otherwise, it might be a good idea to see if you can sneak in an Everblaze Comet.  For myself, this list should gain ~60 points if I don't make any modifications, so I'll probably be looking to see if I can slip in an Everblaze Comet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, Malakithe said:

For the poster boys of AoS GW is doing a bad job at making them op like a certain other poster boy faction in the grim darkness of the far future...

Space Marines have historically been pretty mediocre-to-poor power wise until their second codex in 8th. Their current level of OP is the exception, not the norm.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Space Marines have historically been pretty mediocre-to-poor power wise until their second codex in 8th. Their current level of OP is the exception, not the norm.

The point is not if they are op or not

The point is they get a major release every semester, while SCE are starving for 2 years atm

But i still  have 1990 eldar resin models while SM get theyr 2996797 liutenant so i guess SCE spoiled me 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

The point is not if they are op or not

The point is they get a major release every semester, while SCE are starving for 2 years atm

But i still  have 1990 eldar resin models while SM get theyr 2996797 liutenant so i guess SCE spoiled me 

I'm fine with that. One of the most worrying things about early AoS was that we were going to get into a Space Marine situation where they receive an overwhelming amount of support to the point most people buy into SCE for that reason, which GW then see as an excuse to keep producing mostly SCE models and the cycle continues. Thankfully GW appeared to have veered away from that come 2.0 and a healthy spread of releases across the various armies/Alliances is better than what's been happening with Space Marines - especially these days.

AoS reveals are by far the most exciting part of the GW scheduling because unlike 40k, you're not pre-preemptively having to roll your eyes expecting at least one Space Marine or Imperium reveal for whatever Chaos and Xenos gets.

Stormcast have still received more releases than any other AoS-only army, as well as every special event mount (except for that one Nighthaunt). There's an extremely high chance that they'll receive another Chamber/boxset come 3.0 as well. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm fine with that. One of the most worrying things about early AoS was that we were going to get into a Space Marine situation where they receive an overwhelming amount of support to the point most people buy into SCE for that reason, which GW then see as an excuse to keep producing mostly SCE models and the cycle continues. A healthy spread of releases across the various armies/Alliances is better than what's been happening with Space Marines - especially these days.

Stormcast have still received more releases than any other AoS-only army, as well as every special event mount (except for that one Nighthaunt). There's an extremely high chance that they'll receive another Chamber/boxset come 3.0 as well. 

you are right, but i am not talking about models, but rules, they need an update so much, they are outdated and hilariusly bad

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as i love my stormcast. I hope GW focuses on other armies. They already have to much stuff. Its so much healthier for the game. 40k turns me quite off with the Focus on space Marines. Even Chaos is basically space Marines. So boring. 

Some updated rules and i am happy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd rather less redundant stuff and more... interesting things. Don't need more stuff in the liberator/judicator niche but strictly better or worse.
Sure they are space marine analogues, but geez, do some more fantastical stuff. Why are all the stormcast the same size, why not add some unstable soul powered machines?

This of course being a small release since they have a plenty big roster already.

Edited by Indecisive
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...