Starting an elite AoS army

Yeah, Lumineth are looking to be a great elite force with even the basic infantry and cavalry having access to magic as wizard units (until their numbers drop too low) and abilities that both have that are made to thin out enemy hordes.

They're looking to be a choice up there with Ironjawz and Beastclaws as a super elite powerhouse packing a lot of punch and versatility in small numbers.(until Mega-gargants take that crown off their bull horned heads anyway xD ).

4 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Similar things can be done in Legion of Chaos Ascendant (see Wrath the Everchosen book), but you need some kind of 3x 10 battleline here.

Knights of the Empty Throne would be a great example here(especially after they got faq'd buffed). Varanguard as heroes that you then can cram in more giant daemon horse knights or other chaos elites to bring an elite slaughter to the field that'd make the Grand Marshall of Chaos proud.

Edited by Baron Klatz

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Knights of the Empty Throne would be a great example here(especially after they got faq'd buffed). Varanguard as heroes that you then can cram in more giant daemon horse knights or other chaos elites to bring an elite slaughter to the field that'd make the Grand Marshall of Chaos proud.

What buffs do you mean? Did I overlook something?

Oh they just got some added keywords and traits that made them much more viable leaders. Before that the Empty Throne was lacklustre as it gave the Varanguard less stuff to use and limited hero status. Which was fine narratively but not competively.

You can find the faq pdf by just googling "Knights of the Empty Throne faq" or use the errata on their official community site.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

It is well beyond my budget but I would love to do a Dragon themed Stormcast list of Dracothian cavalry and a Stardrake. Kinda a Stormcast answer to Host of the Everchosen.

It bothers me to no end that a Stardrake doesn't open up Dracothian units as battleline.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

Have you considered the upcoming Sons of Behemet?

It's any army of giants with a very low model count.

Also I second Ironjaws. My Stormcast are regularly outnumbered by a Maw Krusha and pig heavy build.

Edited by Souleater
Another thought
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:22 AM, Sternacht said:

Hello,

I would like to start (well really start!) an AOS army. I would like this army to have a few figurines on the table, to be very elitist. For the moment I hesitate between the Stormcast and the Ossiarch. I have begun with a Seraphon's army (the two starting collectors) but, after having tried to make some rosters, I doubt it is possible to make a non populous army out of it. And I don't like the endless spamming of the same unit. I have to add I'm a beginner in AoS.

Your opinions would help me a lot to finally be able to start an army that suits me perfectly.

Thank you in advance.

Did you look at Thunderquake/Thunder Lizard lists? Engine of the Gods, Slann, Kroak, Stegadon Chieftan, Bastiladon, Stegadons, Kroxigors.

The list I'm tweaking and perfecting has like 40 models in it. 30 of them are skinks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Souleater said:

Have you considered the upcoming Sons of Behemet?

It's any army of giants with a very low model count? 

This is a really good idea.  Start with 3 or 4 gargants and work your way into 2000 when the new army comes out. I’m tempted to do this myself.

Thank you so much for your help!

I think I'll go with the Stormcast as I really love their models while, I hope, new Seraphon 's minis will come so I'll continue them too later.
I was thinking of a SCE army like this one:

Aventis on Tauralon
Celestant Prime
AStreia
3 x 5 Sequitors
Evocators on Dracolines
2 x 3 Prosecutors
A Knight-Venetor
A Knight-Azyros

It's more a shopping list than the perfect op army but I really like these models.

Thx again

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, Neverchosen said:

It is well beyond my budget but I would love to do a Dragon themed Stormcast list of Dracothian cavalry and a Stardrake. Kinda a Stormcast answer to Host of the Everchosen.

It bothers me to no end that a Stardrake doesn't open up Dracothian units as battleline.

I built a list like that, mostly to have a casual list for my gaming group, but it does end up doing alright pretty often. Stardrake, 4 Dracothian guards and some hodge podge of liberator battline tax, support hero or 2 and a celestant prime, I find the prime and dragon to be cool and fun units. 

The list is super elite but works almost like a tabletop tcg, with very careful timing, positioning and counters, especially when going from heavy defense to offence. 10/10 fun times and you might be able to grab some of this cheaper 2nd hand, at nearly half price, that is what I did from various Facebook trade groups

• Thanks 1