Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Urauloth

Restoring the 1995 WHQ with new models?

Posted (edited)

So, I want to restore the classic Warhammer Quest from the '90s. I have the basics: the boards, cards, tokens and rulebooks (admittedly these are individual pages in plastic sleeves in ring binders, but they're 100% present and correct). I also have the doorways, minus one.

What I'm missing is the miniatures, which is... a significant problem.

Now, some things are pretty timeless. If you want a dozen goblins the gloomspite gitz have you covered, and the reliable skaven clanrat isn't going anywhere. Skull Pass and Island of Blood, over the years, furnished me with more than enough of those. Some things are more esoteric, though, especially in the Age of Sigmar. Where now does one acquire a humble orc boy? Whence do you source a suitable elf to delve your dungeons? What happened to the snotling?

Does anyone have any advice on this? Third-party miniatures or creative solutions for the unavailable stuff would be very helpful. Here's a full list of what I need, links to the original minis for comparison, and notes on any solutions I've got. I'll spolier it so it doesn't take up too much space.

Spoiler

Main Game: (Originals)

• 1 Barbarian (solved: Shond of the Godsworn Hunt)
  • 1 Dwarf
  • 1 Elf
  • 1 Wizard
  • 6 Orc warriors
  • 6 Orc archers
  • 6 Goblin spearmen (solved: grot stabbas)
  • 6 Goblin archers (solved: grot shootas)
  • 12 Skaven (solved: clanrats)
  • 3 Minotaurs (solved: bullgors)
  • 12 Giant spiders
  • 12 Giant bats
  • 12 Giant rats (solved)
  • 12 Snotlings

Catacombs of Terror: (Originals)

• The Dread King (I have the throne and his lover half, I will have to make a new body for him)
  • 3 Tomb guardians (grave guard are the logical solution here?)
  • Gunther (I have this guy but he's going to need a new sword)
  • Luthor
  • The Grimoire Necris

Edited by Urauloth
  • Like 2

That's a neat idea, although I'm sure there are those who would balk at the very blasphemy of replacing the original models!

1 Dwarf - Warden King? You could use a kharadron overlord or Fyreslayer hero too

1 Elf - The Nomad Prince?

1 Wizard - One of the battle wizards

6 Orc warriors - I would get some second hand orc boys from Warhammer Fantasy

6 Orc archers - Same as above

6 Goblin spearmen (solved: grot stabbas)

6 Goblin archers (solved: grot shootas)

12 Skaven (solved: clanrats)

3 Minotaurs (solved: bullgors)

12 Giant spiders - The grot spider riders? These were in the Skull Pass set also

12 Giant bats - Fell bats or the chaotic beasts from Warcry

12 Giant rats (solved)

12 Snotlings (There is a new snotling team coming for Bloodbowl!

Those are my ideas, hopefully you find something useful there. It sounds a great idea, expensive though!

I'm pleased someone is trying this! If you do it, a wip blog would be appreciated. 

I have had the idea myself but have been put off by the fact I own nothing of the original Warhammer Quest and it isn't cheap on ebay. The lack of modern models also seemed a problem.

I just recently finished doing a similar thing with Space Crusade. It took me 4 years and cost over 500 pounds. I've added a link here to the wip blog I did about it if you are interested. 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356833-space-crusade-re-imagined/

• Like 2