FAQs are up!

And the internet loses its mind. Most of the answers are pretty straight forward if you interpret the rules more literally than a lot of people have. Nothing new or shocking, but good to see. Even the summoning rules are pretty clearly the intention of the designers. Only real surprise for me was the "hills are not cover" ruling. Makes sense if you play on realms of battle boards though.

Loads of stuff likely to be comp'd out no matter what though. Base-to-base is always going to be the way to go, auto-fail is probably going to be in most comps, infinite stacking is likely to be out.

Don't really get what people are freaking out about. AoS is more friendly to house rules than any other game. There's barely any change involved to houserule something that's better for your group to play.

I think the new one that got the most attention was where they said you could take duplicate special characters! Doesn't seem particularly sporting, and not sure that would pass muster with anyone I know, but at least it leaves the option open for some scenario play (wherein, for example, Tzeentch has managed to create three Archaon Dopplegangers...)

I think Spidey King on twitter summed it up best:

Summary of GW FAQ? We won't stop you from being a Wanker.. You need to do that all by yourself ;)

The FAQ's pretty much just clarify the house rulings/what we do anyway at events. Most will probably be ignored as they aren'r currently relevant to the way we play AoS on the tournament scene. Its good that GW are actually getting involved though and released the FAQ, I think its more for the casual gamer and store player though to maybe relieve some confusion.

Its fantastic the GW are engaging with the community again and are working on clarifying things with the FAQ. Even though there are a few odd things in there, its a great effort. Many people can and will ignore the really odd ones especially in the tournament/events community.

I'm glad they answered my Battleshock query at least. It had come up in a game that I was going to lose a ton of rats due to casualties and a six on the dice. But because of the Grey Seers ability I argued that since I only had a handful of rats left anyway I could surely only roll that dice for those ones to see if the Grey Seer stopped them fleeing vs them all pelting it regardless.

Anyway, resolved.

I didn't explain the above very well but never mind. 

I didn't realise I could have different banners within the one unit. Makes Plague Monks even better! 

Regarding named characters, I've always (even back to 5th ed) been of the mind that a named character is just another contained bundle of rules - take that bundle and slap another name on it.  Pay the points (or pools or whatever) and take another.  If it's too good, you're not paying enough points (or pools or whatever) - hike up the cost.  Other than the names of abilities, there's nothing fluffy about taking two of the rules bundles described as "Orc Warboss on Wyvern", but only one of the rules bundle described as "Azhag the Slaughterer".

Archived