Greenskinz: Destruction vs Big Waaagh!

Dosjetka

Hello all,

As I start saving up for a Daughters of Khaine army, I'd like to make good use of the Greenskinz units I have already and use them in AoS. Unfortunately they have been virtually squatted but there are still two ways to play them as far as I can see:

• use them in a Grand Alliance Destruction army or
  • use them in a Orruk Warclans army with the Big Waaagh! allegiance.

For the record, I would like to play pure Greenskinz as I am presently uninterested in either the Ironjawz or the Bonesplitterz. With crucial bit of information in mind, I wonder (and ask you for your opinion on the matter) which of the above two options would make a "better" army list?

The former option gives me access to a free move/pile in/charge to a unit within 6" on a 4+/6+ (general/hero) in the hero phase trait (Rampaging Destroyers), Command Traits, and Artefacts.

The latter option gives me acces to a wide range of abilities that are unlocked via Waaagh! point generation (which is slowed by the fact that no Greenskinz units have any way to generate more points, unlike their Ironjaw/Bonesplitter counterparts)... and that's it. On the flip side, I get no Command Trait or Artefact for anyone.

Neither of the options give me access to a faction-specific spells list, so at least they're equal in that regard!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject and hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to run my Greenskinz somewhat effectively on the table!

Thanks for reading this far,

Dos

A couple of things to bear in mind:

On 6/20/2020 at 3:35 AM, Dosjetka said:

The latter option gives me acces to a wide range of abilities that are unlocked via Waaagh! point generation (which is slowed by the fact that no Greenskinz units have any way to generate more points, unlike their Ironjaw/Bonesplitter counterparts)

The best and fastest way to generate Waaagh points is via the "Ere We Go..." Command Ability, which you will have access to.  You will also presumably have a huge number of models on the table, so you should normally rack up a huge number of points in your first turn even without IJ / BS characters.

You'll still get D6 for your General, and 1 for charging + 1 for being in combat with Orruk units, so you should hit that key point of 20 very early in the game.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:35 AM, Dosjetka said:

On the flip side, I get no Command Trait or Artefact for anyone.

You can use Artefacts of the Realms, which are generally better than the Destro ones anyway (e.g. Ignax Scales gives a 4++ mortal save instead of the 5++ Talisman).  I'd recommend Ethereal Amulet on the Wyvern, since it can already reroll all saves.  It's true that you'll lose out on the Command Trait though.

You also get the Big Waaagh Command Ability, which you can double up with the Warboss's Warscroll Waaagh for one huge turn if you need to break through.

This army would be significantly better with even a small number of BS or IJ, but if you're determined to run only the Greenskinz you already have, I'd suggest Big Waaagh will be more effective.  The +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound alone is way more powerful than the Destro Battle Trait, which is basically roll a 4+ or get nothing.

Your third option is to run Stoneklaws Gutstompas (Firestorm Allegiance, which is basically an extra suite of abilities that sits on top of GA Destruction), but I'd recommend Big Waaagh personally.

• Like 1