Blood & Faith - A Soulbound RPG Game (Recruiting)

Until an RPG-specific forum rears it's head, this seemed as good a place to put this. If one appears or this needs merging with the RPG thread then I'm sure the mods will do just that. Until such a time however...

I've noticed a few people mention a play-by-post for the Soulbound RPG over on it’s native thread and since having skim read the book a few times I thought I would take the plunge and set up a play-by-post game here on the forum. Ordinarily I'm quite adverse to play-by-post games because as soon as combat rolls around everything has a way of grinding to screeching halt, but luckily Soulbound's somewhat more abstract and narrative-driven ruleset appears friendlier to these slower formats. This will be as much me experimenting with the system as it will, likely, be most (if not all) of the group's first time with it. Of course the beauty of play-by-post is the lack of "UHH"'s and time lost flicking awkwardly through a rulebook at the table.

I'll be looking for ideally 3-5 players, although being PbP there's a bit of flexibility here. This won't be first come, first served and if players drop out there's always the possibility to insert replacements if the story is permitting of it (which it may not be in places). I should also point out that I'm planning this as something of a lengthy one-shot rather than a campaign, but if the group meshes well and things go smoothly, I might keep it going into a proper ongoing campaign. You should know that I'm a sucker for roleplaying in my RPGs, so those who come forward with 'character first' intent will, hopefully, enjoy themselves more who look at these as a scaled down wargame - here's nothing wrong with that approach of course, it's just how I tend to run my games.

Archtypes - To keep referencing simple, I'll only be allowing 'official' Archtypes presented in the book. As much as I love the idea of the homebrewed Free Guild Guard or Ironbreaker, I want to keep things pretty RAW for the time being. The characters will have undertaken their Binding pretty recently, with this being their first mission undertaken as a group (though individuals may have known one another prior, but that's up to player discretion). I'm leaving party-specific deliberately vague right now since it will depend on who/what we end up with.

So what do I need? Interest first of all. This can be as simple as "I'm down, I would like to play a X" or posting a character sheet with background, personality and the works. It won't be first come, first serve, but if there's a sizeable amount of interest I will have to pick and choose based on what's in front of me. 

Expectation -  The death-knell of all play-by-post games is first and foremost ghosting, but also tardiness, especially when it comes to combat. Sometimes events conspire to make daily posting impossible and that's expected, but waiting in vain hope of somebody rearing their head after too long has a way of making the game slip to the fringes of peoples minds. For that reason I am going to be somewhat strict when it comes to posting times. In 'free time' where there's nothing of urgency relating to the characters there won't be too much of an expectation to post, nor much of an order, however when players are expected to respond (interacting with NPCs, skill checks, etc) I will be expecting at least a post every three days. In combat, I will want a post every two days after which point I will either skip your turn, or control the character for you. Where possible I will 'group' rolls together and take them on your behalf (EG: I have your character sheets so I can just roll as a group for Initiative, etc). 

Newcomers to RPGs are of course welcome. This is a very new system so pretty much everybody will be at least a little new to the mechanics.

If you've any questions then feel free to fire away. I'll probably keep updating this OP when things I've forgotten to mention spring to mind.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

Good to see some interest. 

Since creation is pretty self-explanatory, could you please put down some information about their potential characters? Name, Species,, Archtype, possibly Short and Long-Term Goals (as individuals) if you've ideas for them already, plus whatever bits of background and personality you wish to include (doesn't need to be wordy, but an overview is nice). We can sort out the cruchy bits later. 

Initial Character details:

Name: Iorek Stronginthearm

Species: Duardin

Archetype: Trade Pioneer

Still thinking about goals. Background-wise I'm thinking that he's a younger son of a reasonably respected and affluent family of duardin traders, and as such, has had to prove his worth from a distance. Slightly morose about the fact that being Soulbound means that he will not be able to be buried alongside his ancestors.

How are we doing dice rolling?

Feliryr Twainglance

A Soulscryer  about a century old from a doomed, polluted enclave (maybe from Ghyran near Greywater Fastness if that makes sense, or somewhere else equally grim? Shyish? Ulgu?)  who has come to the bleak realisation he can only delay his people's destruction by leaving them behind forever as one of the Soulbound. Gentle and peaceable in manner,  steeliness underneath apparent only when absolutely necessary. Carefully detached and dispassionate in his wary, well-informed dealings with gods he inwardly detests.

Possibly saved a party member's life, probably in a non combat related manner!

Short term goal - forge a close, trusting, reciprocal personal friendship with an ally

Long term goal - provide his dying enclave with substantial assistance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...