Sylvaneth vs Living City?

AthelLoren

So, competitively, which is better, Sylvaneth or Living City? I'm planning on expanding my Living City with Wanderers first, then branching (Sorry not sorry) into a second army with Sylvaneth, but I was wondering which one would serve me better in a gaming sense - I haven't invested very heavily into either yet, so I'm still up in the air on this one. ANyway, I thought this was an interesting question, so let's see where this discussion goes. (Not trying to cause an argument here, just curious, let's not get our heads on fire with this one.)

Having only played Sylvaneth out of the two factions, I'm jealous of Living City' allegiance rules and sheer unit variety. You can lean into shooting (Sisters of the Watch!) or combat (Dreadlord on Black Dragon, Desolators, etc) or both for your build and terrorize a lot of high-tier armies via the ambushing/teleport rules and the amazing "shoot and move" command ability. Sylvaneth can't match Living City in that regard (at least for the shooting aspect, anyway) but they have greater emphasis on control and attrition via Wyldwoods and Branchwraith' summoning. 

For current tournament play, I'd say Living City is overall the better option, especially as you have such a comparatively vast array of units and synergies to lean into. I personally love that a Living City alpha strike is extremely difficult to properly prepare against, and is overall easier to execute with. 

On 6/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, AthelLoren said:

So, competitively, which is better, Sylvaneth or Living City? I'm planning on expanding my Living City with Wanderers first, then branching (Sorry not sorry) into a second army with Sylvaneth, but I was wondering which one would serve me better in a gaming sense - I haven't invested very heavily into either yet, so I'm still up in the air on this one. ANyway, I thought this was an interesting question, so let's see where this discussion goes. (Not trying to cause an argument here, just curious, let's not get our heads on fire with this one.)

LC by far.  Sylvaneth is just so weak overall.  Sylvaneth have lost some cohesion from the last book.  They need a book re-write to be honest.

Keep in mind I think you can make a descent army with just Wanderers and then add some flavourful stuff from the rest of the CoS book.  The Griffon Freeguild general is a combat beast in LC with a couple additions from the allegiance page.  

On 6/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, Xil said:

Living City in my opinion. You can cherrypick the good stuff and use cheap Cities units.

Keep in mind not all the good stuff works.  Durthu is drastically better in Sylvaneth than in LC.   But Drycha is good, Alarielle can be good.  

• Thanks 1

There was an article recently on Twitter that announced Sylvaneth as the weakest codex of all updated armies.

While I don't necessarily agree with that, the book does struggle to have a place in modern competitive play. Its almost entirely a melee army but it gets out-performed by all other melee armies in combat. The mobility we are supposed to have just isn't there anymore with the harsh restrictions on faction terrain and our mobility glade (Dreadwood) relying on characters (and CP) to function. 

The one exception is the Kurnoth Hunters. So I have been eeking out 3-2 and 2-1 records at GTs by just spamming Kurnoth Hunters and keeping my drops low. 

Living City is just on a different level altogether. You can essentially cherry-pick the Sylvaneth units you need (which lets be honest are Hunters) and combine them with amazing shooting, amazing battleline options, and unstoppable deepstrikes. 

TLDR: If you have a bunch of Sylvaneth units, they are probably better in a Sylvaneth army. But if you have a lot of Wanderer models and want to be competitive, then you should 100% play Living City. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I haven't actually got many models yet, so I thought I'd ask before choosing a direction. I'm definitely going to go with Living City now. Another question, though - what all is good in Living City? I said Wanderers because they fit the theme and I love the models, but are there any essential units to keep in mind? I've heard good things about Hammerers, but my only problem is that they have metal armor. It may seem silly, but I try to keep Metals out of my army, painting armor as either Stone or Ironwood.

15 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

Thanks for the responses. I haven't actually got many models yet, so I thought I'd ask before choosing a direction. I'm definitely going to go with Living City now. Another question, though - what all is good in Living City? I said Wanderers because they fit the theme and I love the models, but are there any essential units to keep in mind? I've heard good things about Hammerers, but my only problem is that they have metal armor. It may seem silly, but I try to keep Metals out of my army, painting armor as either Stone or Ironwood.

There are soooo many units in Cities that this is a hard question to answer. 

Most folks tend to focus on a specific subfaction for the purposes of theme, but also because there is usually synergy built within each subfaction.  Most notably the battleline unlocks but also the command abilities of each character. 

So if you like Wanderers then I would strongly suggest you get a Nomad Prince and Sisters of the Watch. The prince has a fantastic command ability and he also unlocks several Wanderer units as battleline. The Sisters of the Watch are probably the hardest hitting shooting unit in the entire book and may be the Wanderers best unit. 

After that, you just need some melee units. Wildwood Rangers are ok offensively and Eternal Guard are great defensively and both would fit your theme. The only mandatory unit in a Cities Army is the Celestial Hurricanum.  Its just simply too good to exclude.

Hope this helps! Of course there is no reason why you couldn't take other units from other factions. Here are some more of my favorite Cities units regardless of subfaction:

Frost Phoenix, Gyrocopters, Hammerers, Black Guard, Phoenix Guard, Sisters of the Thorn, Sorceress, Irondrakes, Greatswords, Darkshards, Concussors, Evocators and of course Kurnoth Hunters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

said Wanderers because they fit the theme and I love the models, but are there any essential units to keep in mind? I've heard good things about Hammerers, but my only problem is that they have metal armor. It may seem silly, but I try to keep Metals out of my army, painting armor as either Stone or Ironwood.

Pff I'd start looking at playstyle and trying to find the models that fit. Because so many good models in Cities, but some really force you into a certain playstyle. (Handgunners for example are great, but reward you for not moving and keeping in range of command abilities.) 

There is a great story* which speaks of a dwarven hold in Ghyran. Where they don't use metals but use hard wood for their armour. So if you are willing to paint wood grain. It wood look cool. (sorry, not sorry). 
*Eight Lamentations: The Tainted Axe, I think. 

EDIT: I helped oscar with this tutorial. It requires a steady hand but it does look great. https://w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=wgUtyPIa3V8&t=222s

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Sadly, as a Sylvaneth main, I'd have to say LC. I use both. Though I'd have to say, in this shooting meta, it's been fun playing Sylvaneth.  I went to an ITC event and they ruled that you can choose Drychas emotion while she is off the board. So she is worth her weight in gold in a LC army, popping on the side of the board with 20 shots and moving into combat. 

On 8/6/2020 at 0:56, Popisdead said:

Tenga en cuenta que creo que puede hacer un ejército de descendencia solo con Wanderers y luego agregar algunas cosas sabrosas del resto del libro CoS. El general Griffon Freeguild es una bestia de combate en LC con un par de adiciones de la página de lealtad.  

Who build use to LC Freeguild general griffon? THX

On 8/28/2020 at 2:46 AM, Nezgor said:

Who build use to LC Freeguild general griffon? THX

I'm not sure I know how to answer this.

Anyone can use the Freeguild general on a griffon.  In Living City he gets a couple good abilities, such as healing 1 wound per turn, having a lance I think, that you can improve the rend on, gain always strike first as well as have an improved save.  

This is a pretty tank-y build who can grind away enemy units.  

I hope that helps?