A quick Sylvaneth army question...

Jammeg

I have been spending a lot of time recently painting some sylvaneth. I generally got them for there aesthetics, but I was wondering if they would have any competitive value- if so, what tactics and artefacts/ command traits should I use. (By the way, I know this is a bit over 2000pts, any help cutting it down and that sort of thing would be appreciated)

Alarielle 

Spirit of Durthu

Treelord ancient

2x Branchwych

Tree Revenants x5

Tree Revenants x5

2 units of 20 dryads

3x Kurnoth archers

Geminids

I know that taking alarielle is generally not the best use of 600 points, but I really like the model and the treelord summon is basically 260 points of her cost. With the healing from alarielle and and gnarlroot d3, it would be pretty hard to take much of the table. THis probably won't be used to competitvley, but i'm still looking for thoughts- as well as artefacts ideas etc.

I don’t know why we consider Alarielle to be a 600 point model when she can summon a unit of 20 dryads or 3 hunters. After this she pulls more than her weight as a 400 point unit. She is in all of my competitive lists. Plus three spells to help trigger Wyldwoods and a beetle that crushes hordes which we need against top tier teams such as skaven and Flesh-eater corpse. Definitely take her :)

Why 2 branchwyches and not at least 1 branchwraith? A branchwraith can summon more dryads.

And what is your thinking behind taking the bow hunters instead or scythes or swords? Don't get me wrong, I think bows have their place and I've run them a lot. Just trying to get a feel for your list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 4:22 AM, Jammeg said:

I have been spending a lot of time recently painting some sylvaneth. I generally got them for there aesthetics, but I was wondering if they would have any competitive value- if so, what tactics and artefacts/ command traits should I use. (By the way, I know this is a bit over 2000pts, any help cutting it down and that sort of thing would be appreciated)

Alarielle 

Spirit of Durthu

Treelord ancient

2x Branchwych

Tree Revenants x5

Tree Revenants x5

2 units of 20 dryads

3x Kurnoth archers

Geminids

I know that taking alarielle is generally not the best use of 600 points, but I really like the model and the treelord summon is basically 260 points of her cost. With the healing from alarielle and and gnarlroot d3, it would be pretty hard to take much of the table. THis probably won't be used to competitvley, but i'm still looking for thoughts- as well as artefacts ideas etc.

Alarielle has no DPR (damage prevention roll), can't take a hit for the double turn, her command ability is meh (not as bad if you are playing triple durthu), the beetle is super swingy.  She does not bad in Living City (move twice, and Hurricanum boost) but in Sylvaneth in the current meta she would get dominated in a tournament.

There is no reason the Beetle hits on 4s.  That is just utter garbage.  With 5 hits there could be turns you miss all your hits and she'd be sitting there doing nothing.  I know cause I've seen it.  If she was 450 points she would be more competitive. 

Having been down on her enough, I'm painting mine up and I'll use her but I know she's a crutch and I keep her back for at least 2 turns.  I summon 3 bows, then her and the bows try to snipe out heroes applying some pressure to disrupt the enemies battle line/plans.  You can use her to cast Throne of Vines and because she can cast 3 spells a turn unless facing some of the stronger magic she could be +4 but turn 2.  That helps boost her spell.  

You should probably be looking at and posting in  the Sylvaneth thread.   More people will see it. 

In case you missed the meme,... I still love Alarielle but...

who is alarielle.JPG

Edited by Popisdead