The Painting Contract - June 2020

This month I focus on conversions, waiting for my new brushes to arrive... 

My goal is converting warcry beast of chaos warband and wood elves

I start with a bullgor for warcry. It is still wip, yesterday I started with face and weapon

IMG-20200602-162407.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Hi All, I would appreciate your opinion on this:

I have now tried a fairly simple recipe for the coach-driver from an online tutorial. It is basically nothing more than a strongly feathered black oil wash over a Grey Seer basecoat.

I actually like it as it is, and considering not to touch it any further (other than maybe applying  OSL from the lanterns), and use the same recipe for the ghosts surrounding the coach.  However for the rest of my army so far I have been using more color for the ethereal effect (using mostly hexwraith, and gloom)  and I am a bit afraid that it will not fit in well with the rest.  Having said that I must say that when I put it next to i.e. the Dreadblade Harrow it seems to go together just fine. (last photo.)

What do you think, any thoughts? All tips, and suggestions are welcome off course :)

I could try to do a small amount of blue or green glazing, but I hesitate as it might not work out that well.I do have the alternative driver left that I could use to try something slightly different first of course.

Coach-wip-6.jpg.d2467e160cbf0aa0cc6f4e149b342b13.jpg

Coach-wip-7.jpg.d8372dc2987ad227b524472c417f8a9b.jpg

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

I am going to adjust my plans:

10 Longbeards

6 Atlantis miniatures dwarves

12 Arkanauts

6 Ghosts

4 cats (from cats and catacombs)

5 Thunderers

Endrinmaster on foot

3 Endrinriggers

That's because being ill put me in the right "can't work, can't excersize but am incredibly bored and stressed" mindset that in the three days of June has finished

5 Longbeards

3 Atlantis miniatures dwarves

6 Arkanauts

3 ghosts

2 cats

I am confident that the next 27 days will give me the time to do the rest (about twice this).

17 hours ago, Lowki said:

Hi All, I would appreciate your opinion on this:

I have now tried a fairly simple recipe for the coach-driver from an online tutorial. It is basically nothing more than a strongly feathered black oil wash over a Grey Seer basecoat.

I actually like it as it is, and considering not to touch it any further (other than maybe applying  OSL from the lanterns), and use the same recipe for the ghosts surrounding the coach.  However for the rest of my army so far I have been using more color for the ethereal effect (using mostly hexwraith, and gloom)  and I am a bit afraid that it will not fit in well with the rest.  Having said that I must say that when I put it next to i.e. the Dreadblade Harrow it seems to go together just fine. (last photo.)

What do you think, any thoughts? All tips, and suggestions are welcome off course :)

I could try to do a small amount of blue or green glazing, but I hesitate as it might not work out that well.I do have the alternative driver left that I could use to try something slightly different first of course.

Coach-wip-6.jpg.d2467e160cbf0aa0cc6f4e149b342b13.jpg

Coach-wip-7.jpg.d8372dc2987ad227b524472c417f8a9b.jpg

Seems to me you like it as is. So keep it that way :) 

and for the record I agree. It looks really good. 

• Thanks 1

Having just finished my terrain with some detailing - Azyrite Ruins and Sigmarite Mausoleum - all Chaos Black dry brushed with Dawnstone - and now with bones. metal and plants painted - I am awaiting my last BoC to arrive on Sunday and they will be my contract for the month.

So 1 Cygor, 10 Bestigors, 10 Ungor Raiders and a Great Bray Shamen. 

However if lockdown proves as productive as it has been that will be about 10 days worth 🤣🤣

20200604_174348.jpg

Edited by Oak7603
What are Azyrtite Ruins?
  • Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:24 PM, Vasshpit said:

Think you could link that tutorial please?

Off course, I currently have a subscription with https://grimdarkcompendium.com/

The guy (Zatcaskagoon) developed a very grim dark style of painting (as the name of the site already suggests) that is often relatively easy and quick to apply. Next to the usual acrylics, he uses a lot of oil paints and enamels and has a lot of knowledge about the different paints and mediums,  how they behave, and how you can use this behavior to achieve a certain effect .

The black oil wash is  explained in most detail in the tutorials for Reikenor, Lady Olynder and KoS. These are only viewable with a paid account though. There is however a 4 part tutorial on the black coach that is accessible for free that also explains it (in part 3)- https://grimdarkcompendium.com/how-to-paint-nighthaunts-black-coach-part-3-of-4/

Note: I think he currently offers a 30-day free trial for the paid section.

In short:

1. Prime

Prime the model with a white primer. Zatcaskagoon uses Stynylrez white primer, I used Grey Seer from a spraycan, as I don't have an airbrush.  I probably have a slightly more grey end result because of this. I might try Corax white to get a more white finish, but I don't have that on the shelf right now..

2. Wash

Get a black oil paint ( I use Abteilung 502, same as Zatcaskagoon) and thin it down with a mineral spirit (i.e. white spirit/thinner) 2:1 and apply it over the whole model.

3. Dry with hairdryer

Dry the wash using a hairdryer for a small bit. The pigment shouldn't be completely dry though, it is just to get rid of the  excess spirit.

3. Feather

Now feather the oil wash over the whole model using a large very soft brush, I use a the kind of brush they use to apply makeup for this (not sure how it is called). It will smoothly spread the wash, and the brush will soak up any excess pigments. The first pass will actually make the model look darker in the beginning. You do multiple passes, and is important to keep the brush clean, and remove the pigment fro the brush regularly using a cloth.

P6064997.jpg.e5b11c417f9f78ef3ee1a9fa5a73af6c.jpg

4. reverse highlight

Now the fun thing about oil paints is that they, unlike acrylics, can be reactivated using mineral spirit. You can use this to do a sort of reverse highlighting using a cue tip . So what you do, once the model is dry,  is dip a cue tip into mineral spirit and start dabbing the model gently. Dabbing, not rubbing. Make sure to keep the cue tip really wet all the time with a lot of mineral spirit . This will not as much remove the paint, but it will reactivate it, and excess pigment will be absorbed by the cue tip from the models extremities. This way you can highlight the model with very smooth transitions. I found this a very useful method for many different situations. 

P6064999.jpg.efd4560f8e93c02a1265e79a112c7051.jpg

Note: Zatcaskagoon makes the model look more grim dark by adding blood splatters. I choose not to do the same, but if you like gore blood effect, he has a very good  method to do this by using the way Mineral spirits and the acrylic Blood for the bloodgod will be repelling each other when applied together. I think it gives a very realistic result.

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took time to adjust the base of my loonboss with giant cave squig (from 40 to 60mm). Also finished the araknarok platform, lets see if I can paint the crew this week and then I will upload some photos.

6E026C78-8A28-4B5A-8FDC-0730AE3C37E9.jpeg

7ABD9E19-09EF-44B5-946E-48019EB4402E.jpeg

43A02439-6EFA-4139-ADBB-D7D2DA7586C1.jpeg

57C9C95E-99BC-4FB2-A6A1-491136713C78.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

Well on my way:

Ghosts 6/6

Longbeards: 10/10

Grombrindel 80%

Thundrik 20%

Endrinmaster 1/1

Thunderers 5/10 done, the rest 50%

Arkanauts 10/15 (5 were already done, so now have 20)

Skywardens 2/3

Endrinriggers 1/3

Grundstok Beerhauler 60%, need to find a way to put Bugman in.

Everything but the Aetherbeer barrel on the Beerhauler and one Skywarden is built and primed, though I still need to find a few small barrels for the powdermonkey bomber to have as ammunition.

Second MSU of Thunderers, Arkanauts and Skywardens courtesy of 2*Thundrik's Profiteers and Dwarf Giants.

After near 4 months, finally I completely finished the whole araknarok!! What a nightmare to build and paint, the most difficult project I’ve encountered so far (or at least the most tedious one). Sorry if there’s too many photos, but I can’t hold the excitement lol

BC9BC75E-64EF-4607-8AC5-8E268463F490.jpeg

13005671-5A52-4104-A020-18726959C74D.jpeg

09C8C21B-B9D9-47D6-BF31-70D4C5A5F062.jpeg

9679C18E-B86C-4804-9AAC-02D87CACF24E.jpeg

0411529B-D22E-4412-9384-1ED396D5DD5D.jpeg

CF212852-5F73-48C3-87D2-196AD58B7523.jpeg

BA9461D7-F13E-43ED-B9C3-78668BE5D359.jpeg

Edited by Jymmy
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 9

And then there were 20. So that's 1 Cygor and 10 Ungor Raiders done and I've got 10 Bestigors and a Great Bray Shamen left. 

That will then be this painting contract complete and I'll have been forced to stop spending as lock down lasted longer than my savings could handle my spend rate!

20200613_111446.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

53 minutes ago, Oak7603 said:

And then there were 20. So that's 1 Cygor and 10 Ungor Raiders done and I've got 10 Bestigors and a Great Bray Shamen left. 

That will then be this painting contract complete and I'll have been forced to stop spending as lock down lasted longer than my savings could handle my spend rate!

20200613_111446.jpg

Does that mean you are that rare unicorn without a backlog now 🤔

like the big sword in the champion by the way! Nice little conversion to place him above the rest. 

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Does that mean you are that rare unicorn without a backlog now 🤔

like the big sword in the champion by the way! Nice little conversion to place him above the rest. 

Yep. Once those last 11 are done I'm backlog free 😁 and the sword isn't a conversion it's just in the box 😉

• Like 1