Josh Reynolds leaving Black Library

Heard the news today...

Guess I'll have to bump Soul Wars to the top of my reading list! this is really sad to hear he left because of creative differences... Hoping the best for him, and I'm sure he'll do well once he finds his feet again. This on top of the price hikes isn't giving me much confidence for the rest of AOS 2020 :(

Like Duncan he will be missed. But they both left one hell of a legacy behind and I salute them for everything they've done for Age of Sigmar, Warhammer and hobby as a whole. Josh's works are worth every penny and re-read.

Here's wishing them the best and a bright future ahead and knowing that it's always darkest before the dawn in which I'm confident ours and the Mortal Realms future will be shining bright once again like the prismatic golden rays from the realm of light. :)

Thanks for everything and all the fantastical adventures, Josh.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3

Hopefully he comes back at some point down the line, would love to see the Eight Lamentations & Hallowed Knights series continue not to mention more stories in the vein of Dark Harvest. 

Thanks for your work Josh, your work has inspired me.

• Like 2

Now I'm sad because Spear of Shadows was the best AoS novel I've read (could be because it had nothing to do with space marines... errr I mean storm...marines.) but really, seeing normal everyday life with heroes who could get beat up felt nice. I'll miss the grounded view he provided.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Heard the news today...

Guess I'll have to bump Soul Wars to the top of my reading list! this is really sad to hear he left because of creative differences... Hoping the best for him, and I'm sure he'll do well once he finds his feet again. This on top of the price hikes isn't giving me much confidence for the rest of AOS 2020 :(

Probably unrelated somewhat but i wanted to buy audiobooks to listen to when i exercise and wowzers $52 AUD for a book (about 28GBP). 

That seems really expensive for a book and they were all the same price. I had no idea the Black Library charged so much for audiobooks. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

Probably unrelated somewhat but i wanted to buy audiobooks to listen to when i exercise and wowzers $52 AUD for a book (about 28GBP). 

That seems really expensive for a book and they were all the same price. I had no idea the Black Library charged so much for audiobooks. 

I recently made an audio book for/with a client. Great fun but man it’s so much work. 
It’s just crazy expensive to make. Although I would hope black library made their own studio by now. That saves a load of money as well. 

22 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I recently made an audio book for/with a client. Great fun but man it’s so much work. 
It’s just crazy expensive to make. Although I would hope black library made their own studio by now. That saves a load of money as well. 

Sounds ignorant i know but i had no idea it was that expensive to make. I was thinking $20 or $30 would be fine and id pay straight away but i can't justify $52 on a book!

I second the comment that he was highly influential for Age of Sigmar. It is pretty clear that the design studio prioritises their thoughts over the ideas of Black Library authors but Josh's vision seemed to resonate across the entire enterprise. He really helped me get into the background and I am very grateful for that. Thank you Josh and best wishes for your future endeavours.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Sounds ignorant i know but i had no idea it was that expensive to make. I was thinking $20 or $30 would be fine and id pay straight away but i can't justify $52 on a book!

We had a really good deal with a sound recording studio  €400 a day. That was including the sound engineer. 
Also there was a director there, an directing assistant, and the voice actors. That’s a pretty bare bone crew as well, we usually had a second directing assistent who prepared and instructed the actors before their recording. We recorded for I think 10 days? But if you only do a read through with one actor you will probably be a lot faster.

before all that you need to pay for the book  and all the production and planning.  after the recording it needs to be edited. I spend a day per 30 minutes. But that was spend on creating a big soundscape to support the stories. A lot of that is freely available but for a better selection it will cost you again. And lastly the music. We found an American artist who was willing to create a theme song and variations for us who didn’t charge full price. One of the actors created a second theme. But normally that’s a big expense as well.

it gets crazy fast  

that said. I won’t pay 52 for a book either. It’s too much. It’s all about perceived value in the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

The most affordable way to get them is through the Audible service. You subscribe for something like 10 quid a month ( it will vary with currency of course), and basically get one book a month, or can get three for around 20 quid in addition. It's probably only worth it if you plan to get several though, and can afford to wait a while between books. To bring this more on topic, they have lots of black library books in their catalogue, including most of Reynold 's recent AoS canon.

If you just want one book, you can try a free trial and cancel before the month is up.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He dropped into the BL thread when this first got spotted and said that basically he's just wound up with way too many things on his plate all at once and BL had to take a step back so that he wasn't overwhelmed. He's still publishing his own fantasy and other stories so he's certainly not given up on writing. Who knows give it a few years he might well swing back around again to work for the BL.

Also in the past BL has had no problems passing series to other authors to work on, even the great and mighty Gotrek and Felix stories passed to a new author. 

Different authors can bring different styles and focus and sometimes its not a "better or worse" situation, just different with its own quirks and joys. 

• Like 3

My impression was that the Black Library authors are freelancers. Unless I'm very mistaken its not as though they just work for GW, or are employed as permanent staff. Rather they write stuff on a case by case basis, some of it for GW, some for other publishers. So its probably not that drastic a shift.

45 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

My impression was that the Black Library authors are freelancers. Unless I'm very mistaken its not as though they just work for GW, or are employed as permanent staff. Rather they write stuff on a case by case basis, some of it for GW, some for other publishers. So its probably not that drastic a shift.

Aye though some of them have been freelancing for BL for a very long time and get to work on key upcoming books and the like. So there's certainly levels of freelancer. A good few of the newer ones tend to get short stories in things like Inferno or the Novella etc... 

There may also be some longer term contracts or longer term freelancer contracts and such in there too not just ad-hock freelancing. 

• Like 2

I hope the decision to leave was on his terms and not due to some foolishness on the part of the black library.  Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. I just bought the  Case files of the Royal Occultist, and while browsing his back catalogue came a cross a short story collection entitled Sharkpunk!??!

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

I hope the decision to leave was on his terms and not due to some foolishness on the part of the black library.  Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. I just bought the  Case files of the Royal Occultist, and while browsing his back catalogue came a cross a short story collection entitled Sharkpunk!??!

Sharkpunk is a great anthology. I really recommend it. It was edited by BL alumni Jonathan Green and has some great stories. 

And the decision to part ways with BL was mutual, with no hard feelings on my part. We simply reached a natural point of divergence in our working relationship. They wanted me to go one way, and I wanted to go another, so I went and they wished me all the best. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 4

I did wonder this as I'd not spotted anything new from him for a while for any of the GW backgrounds.  Hope that his future ventures continue to be fruitful and thanks for all the hard work he put into the Mortal Realms, without this AoS genuinely wouldn't be the place it is today.

Really sad news to hear Josh Reynolds has left, his books for AoS were the only ones I have purchased.

I'm still sore that Blood Dragon got cancelled, way back before the end times was a thing.  The other two books in that series were fantastic and really gave an insight into the different master vampires, shame it will never be completed. :(

• Like 1