Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Oh that sucks. Nothing so annoying as a lot of cleaning. And you can bet your feathery ass that on such a big model you will find more after priming 😞

Haha Nuuuuuuuu.... I usually find them after some undercoating usually. I usually can’t see too well when they are just primed black 🤣 to date I usually say &*$# it, just ignore it and hope no one notices

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 12:20 AM, Eldarain said:

Thank the maker for the painting challenge. I don't particularly like painting units and this is just the kick to see them through.

IMG_20200630_210414~2.jpg

No doubt! I'd never have finished up my 30 Gors without this!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ggom said:

Haha Nuuuuuuuu.... I usually find them after some undercoating usually. I usually can’t see too well when they are just primed black 🤣 to date I usually say &*$# it, just ignore it and hope no one notices

haha I very occasionlly do as well. but usually I can't let it lie. 

Looking good everyone. I might want to go back on that Lord Ordinator...especially the face. BUT, that is for later. This month I am going to flesh out that Lord Ordinator story wise and give him an arsenal to play with. Depending on how much time I devote here, he might get a bigger arsenal of Cities allies. I might even get around to starting to convert the other characters! 

For this month, for now, keeping it small and aiming for 2 Celestar Ballistas and their crew. Kinda wish I had some solid way to make the crew unique, but...so many little details, hard to replace bits...not that I have many extra Stormcast bits. Shame. BUT, they look good at least, let's see if my paint job do well enough. lol

1057300642_Month2Pledge.jpg.52de649da59d35a2f6ebc815b8a947af.jpg

• Like 4

Model by model getting through the last parts of last month 😅

my very brightly painted stormcast. Not really originally the plan. Got a few for cheap because I wanted to try black armour. But well after the Louise sugdon piece this happened. basing to do after I get through the rest. And then picture time.

15F6C49A-23D0-4D40-A362-B80500D14397.jpeg.579b40ff99c401ece4cfd86066c3eda7.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Model by model getting through the last parts of last month 😅

my very brightly painted stormcast. Not really originally the plan. Got a few for cheap because I wanted to try black armour. But well after the Louise sugdon piece this happened. basing to do after I get through the rest. And then picture time.

Nice colors!

• Like 1

I missed this one, love the idea! Would it still be possible to join? 

it is a very inspirational and lively thread, much fun to read.

How do you guys manage to get so many done in just a month time, with such great results.! 

Edited by Lowki

7 hours ago, Lowki said:

How do you guys manage to get so many done in just a month time, with such great results.! 

I don’t know that anyone is keeping score, as long as you are contributing your own progress and motivating the team why not?

I had a play with the airbrush yesterday and settled on a general scheme for the Lord of Change

3BD04870-D22F-412F-8EFE-64E0298268CE.jpeg.9f4521e4f68f0095ad81052152753a12.jpeg
F4FAC414-5387-48DC-8754-6F02B0D3BC2F.jpeg.531245e9036c58b4395f12a8769f844a.jpeg

I was learning about CYMK colors and thought it would be neat to do some high contrast on this guy. I figured to use two sources of lighting, one would be his left handed staff (not attached yet) that would be a really saturated yellow, and the other side would be a more desaturated magenta from his right hand wand. I think I’m going to paint the individual feathers next to add texture - I saw this stunning LoC on Instagram by Kaha with all of the feathersdone and I want to see if I can incorporate some of that.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 4:29 PM, Ggom said:

A1375EEA-BDC5-4A5C-92F7-42C5FFFDCB2D.jpeg.dfefc6e4082841b01cbf0b4d83d479e6.jpeg

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:53 PM, hughwyeth said:

Acolytes_D.jpg.07c27e870fa3f085bb51d6677c84e615.jpg

Man, never realized how great these Acolytes look, but now this, both of you really make them look fantastic!! Makes me wanna start a Tzeentch army right away , really (please someone stop me.) Never really considered Tzeentch until now. Always loved the Lord of Change, awesome model, one of the best imho, but the rest of the army never really appealed to me, How much difference another paint scheme can do, right?

Just realized. The warcry chaos warbands were never meant to be specific for a given faction, but still some of them seem to fit better with one faction than the other.  Like the Unmade with their self-mutilation and such,  always felt a lot like Slaanesh to me, and I always thought the Cypher Lord closest to Tzeentch.  But realizing that there is something really birdy about Tzeentch, wouldn't Corvus make a cool Tzeench unit as well? I mean is more Raven-like, so a totally different kind of "birdy", but still, with the  right color scheme. Anyone ever tried that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Man, never realized how great these Acolytes look, but now this, both of you really make them look fantastic!! Makes me wanna start a Tzeentch army right away , really (please someone stop me.) Never really considered Tzeentch until now. Always loved the Lord of Change, awesome model, one of the best imho, but the rest of the army never really appealed to me, How much difference another paint scheme can do, right?

Just realized. The warcry chaos warbands were never meant to be specific for a given faction, but still some of them seem to fit better with one faction than the other.  Like the Unmade with their self-mutilation and such,  always felt a lot like Slaanesh to me, and I always thought the Cypher Lord closest to Tzeentch.  But realizing that there is something really birdy about Tzeentch, wouldn't Corvus make a cool Tzeench unit as well? I mean is more Raven-like, so a totally different kind of "birdy", but still, with the  right color scheme. Anyone ever tried that?

Yeap, I’m not in love with some of the Tzeentch gribbly demons (they’re OK, but I don’t love them) so I’m focusing on the mortals. I wish the Kairic Acolytes came with female sculpts as well. Why they have to be a bunch of 20 dudes is beyond me. Props @hughwyeth for having the perseverance to plow through an entire unit 😭

Also, I love the Corvus Cabal! I wish they were battleline. As it is, I feel like I should paint some acolytes or tzaangors first so I can actually play the game one day. One thought I had was to run the Cabal as Chaos Marauders - but they are kind of expensive to get 20 of them. I also haven’t come across any brilliant ideas for converting a musician or banner bearer for them, and finally, I’m not sure they can be run as WYSIWYG, not having shields. 

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Lowki said:

Absolutely! 
what will you be painting? I’ll add you to the list 😁

• Thanks 1

I’ve very similar  feelings about the Tzeentch range to you folks, @Ggom and @Lowki - lesser daemon models are a bit meh (except Screamers actually, love those!), Kairic Acolytes are awesome but need some female models, Corvus Cabal seem a perfect fit for Tzeentch, and the Lord of Change is awesome! 🙂

I suspect  the Acolytes kit was sculpted just before GW started working to improve  female representation in their kits, things have been much better in the last few years. I have 10 males painted and I’m wondering what might be a good base kit for 10 females... Witch Elves are too skimpy so I’m wondering if Escher gangers with regular masked Kairic heads would work. 🤔

57 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I’ve very similar  feelings about the Tzeentch range to you folks, @Ggom and @Lowki - lesser daemon models are a bit meh (except Screamers actually, love those!), Kairic Acolytes are awesome but need some female models, Corvus Cabal seem a perfect fit for Tzeentch, and the Lord of Change is awesome! 🙂

I suspect  the Acolytes kit was sculpted just before GW started working to improve  female representation in their kits, things have been much better in the last few years. I have 10 males painted and I’m wondering what might be a good base kit for 10 females... Witch Elves are too skimpy so I’m wondering if Escher gangers with regular masked Kairic heads would work. 🤔

I’d love to see how you convert them! Agree witch aelves won’t work (I’ve painted 20 of the girls, they are beautiful aelves but too slender for kairic.) I think Escher may be a good starting point, but the amount of sculpting robes and removing tech accesories seems daunting at first. I will take a look at the models on the website presently.

EDIT:

man, I think Escher will be a ton of sculpting and shaving. Cypher lords look like  an easier starting point, but will require some clever shaving as well. I might see if I can get my hands on a few Cupher lords single miniatures on Ebay down the road to experiment with. Would need kairic heads and kairic weapons. And some delicate knifework on the leg straps.

Edited by Ggom

22 hours ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely! 
what will you be painting? I’ll add you to the list 😁

Great! Thanks. :D

Let me see if I got the idea.

It is a sort of advanced, long term version of  The  Painting contract right?  It is more long term planning, instead of a monthly goal, the goal set is finishing an army with monthly objectives of  adding at least 5+ models (unit(s), and/or a Behemoth/60mm+ and/or a character. The size refer to the base size correct (silly question I think, but just to be sure)?  What happens if you not manage to complete your monthly goal?

Is it a problem to continue with an army for which some models are already finished, or should it be a fresh army? 

I am currently working on Nighthaunt and Mawtribes in parallel, with the Nighthaunt having most, of not all love the past year. I find it a tough choice which of these two armies to choose for this "contest" (provided that it is allowed to an army in progress in the first place) .

Nighthaunt seems the obvious choice with most models finished and closer to completion.  I never been so close of finishing a 2000 pt army, so it would be great I would be able to finish it. That would be a real personal milestone, as although I bought my first mini's in the early eighties, I never completed a full army, and until a year ago not even a unit.

But I am also tempted  to choose Mawtribes instead.  How much as I love the Nighthaunt models, I can also see why some people dislike them. Paint wise they are all pretty much the same thing. An army like mawtribes could be a more interesting project, with much more variety and options. I have basically only a HoS and Tyrant ready, but as it is a low model count army, I think it is still realistic to aim for completion this year.

Anyway I made my choice, and decided to continue with Nighthaunt  after all(again, if allowed of course). Aim is eventually end up with a pool of 3000+ pt models to choose from for a Nighthaunt Only Army, and a Legion of Grief. The last will give me the option to add a bit more variety and picking some other death models I really like. 

The following list is my final goal. Everything on it I already purchased, and is only based on what I like, not on what is competitive, or what could make a good list. I have zero to none game experience, so how can I tell ;) Maybe once finished I will do some additional purchases to make a better list for LoG. The green checks mark the ones already finished (or about to be finished).  This is about 1550 pts.

0001-new.jpg.23dda8b9a19dfb18b5921123d355de07.jpg

With the finished models removed I get this list left to be finished. 

36352518_groef-left3(2).jpg.1c063650304611dc02faaf4c17e95fd0.jpg

I am a (very) slow painter, with little time so I shouldn't aim to high. This thing can be very motivating, but an unrealistic goal could eventually become demotivating. I think 300pts per month is the max I can do,..with 2170 left, that would make abou t 7 months, make it six...so my goal would be to finish it before end of the year, also leaves some time for some other stuff. With an milestone before September to finish a 2000 pts Nighthaunt army (including the models already finished.)

For this month I keep it to a unit of Grimghast Reapers and 1 Dreadblade Harrow for this month. Still have a base to finish for the Black Coach as well and not much time this month. Next month I have some time off, so hope to do more.

I will post a picture of the built and primed for this month.

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lowki said:

hat happens if you not manage to complete your monthly goal

That’s a kneecappin ;) 

the white dwarf version is painting a 2K army in four months. That’s the inspiration. but you set your own goals and targets. 

for me it’s painting 1800 pts of stormcast so I finish the backlog. Aiming to do so in 4 months. This threadhelps me keep focussed. Where I noticed the painting contract meant I did less but wanted to do better. Also fun and good. But after a year I still had no painted stormcast or KO army. 

So if this helps you get 2K painted in 6 months! Go for it. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ggom said:

man, I think Escher will be a ton of sculpting and shaving. Cypher lords look like  an easier starting point, but will require some clever shaving as well. I might see if I can get my hands on a few Cupher lords single miniatures on Ebay down the road to experiment with. Would need kairic heads and kairic weapons. And some delicate knifework on the leg straps.

You might be right... 😁 Well, it’s likely a couple months off anyway as I’ve some other stuff lined up first, but if I do give the Escher gals a try I’ll be sure to post back here with the results. Cypher Lords could be a great approach actually! 👍

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:17 PM, Kramer said:
3 hours ago, Kramer said:

That’s a kneecappin ;) 

Ah...I knew there was some strings attached, well fair enough you can't have people get away with it of course ;)

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

the white dwarf version is painting a 2K army in four months. That’s the inspiration. but you set your own goals and targets. 

Ok I get it. I figured it was inspired on something, but wasn't sure what.  So it is 500pts per month. I like to stick to the plan as much as possible, but 500 is already a real challenge for me, and I am already a month behind too (so only 3 months left (1 week les in fact)...so this is what I will do.  I will drop the LoG units, and the goal will be a NH list of 2000pts now . I will include about 500 pts that are already finished, leaving roughly 1500 pts for the next 3 months, still quiet a challenge for me, but worth to try...I already have a Spirit Torment, DB Harrow and a GoS, so if really needed I can cheat fora bit ;) 

178468709_NH-Full(2).jpg.7c537e7b6253df02901024ee308e47ce.jpg

Edited by Lowki
  • LOVE IT! 1

Still no good update from me :(

Although the progress that everyone’s making is so awesome :D 

hopefully I should start to have a bit more time to get in with hobby coming up, only issue is that I’m having to give up my hobby space for more home office space, damn you Covid!

Trying to sort out some kind of portable hobby station for the time being, and then a longer term plan of setting something up in the attic (it’s properly insulated and floored!). Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

Still no good update from me :(

Although the progress that everyone’s making is so awesome :D 

hopefully I should start to have a bit more time to get in with hobby coming up, only issue is that I’m having to give up my hobby space for more home office space, damn you Covid!

Trying to sort out some kind of portable hobby station for the time being, and then a longer term plan of setting something up in the attic (it’s properly insulated and floored!). Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome

I got one of these - https://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/tables-for-painting/14-paint-station.html. Perfect for a single project- all the paints you need all fit in.

• Thanks 1

One down. Two more to go. Gonna finish one model every day. And that means I’m caught up with last month chapter before the weekend. 

73B21BAB-57F8-4B87-A6A1-E06ED096C15E.jpeg.5a0a6630f1293e92da600fcd4892f1b2.jpeg

maybe a little clean up needed tho. It’s weird how you see so many different things in a photo vs real life 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Lookin good. Love the Chocobo look.

Haha yeessss!! That’s amazing. That was the first goal and so happy someone sees it without me nudging them, asking if they remember final fantasy. 

• Haha 2