Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Hi all, 

as discussed in the Lockdown thread several of us would like to try an online 'Tale of X gamers'. For those who don't know, it's a great way to get your army painted. Every month you paint a few additions, and normally a game would finish the month with a bang. Now we can't do the last part, but we sure can do the first. 

So every month you add either:

- A Group of 5+ models (Can be one unit, multiple, unit and a hero, etc)
- A Behemoth or other 60mm+ model
- A 25mm - 40mm Character

Please make a post each month with a photo of the primed or single basecoated miniatures you are pledging with a sheet of paper with your name and the date clearly visible. Then before the end of the month post a picture of the completed miniatures. 

For the first month let us know in how many months you want to finish your army and maybe even an army list! 

The first month starts 1st of June, so everybody gets a two week head start. 

The goal is to get an army done, so tweak and bend the rules to what you need. For example, I'm aiming for 400pts a month so I can get my Stormcast up to 2K in 4 months time. In time for some games in September :)  

The theme for the first month (not obligatory):

A hero and a battleline unit

Joining in so far: @Sttufe @Maxi99, @Kamose, @flamingwalnut, @hughwyeth, @Eldarain, @Kramer, @GorkaMorkaDisciple, @Kalebkhaine, @Mutant Modifier, @Lowki, @Ggom, @LuminethMage@Lightbox

Edited by Kramer
Added theme for the first month
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

So I'll be building around 1,000pts of Tzeentch. I have the Aether War stuff and these three boxes- 

IMG_20200518_120201.jpg.7449cdbe74d4c4fb74947c0ff1815f02.jpg

So in total I have- 

Tzaangor Shaman
Magister on Disc of Tzeentch
3x Skyfires
3x Enlightened 
10x Kairic Acolytes
10x Kairic Acolytes
10x Tzaangors.

If any of you are in London or can make it down to London, it would be cool to have a game at Bad Moon Cafe with our new armies!

• LOVE IT! 1

For me the point of this is to get my stormcast painted up, ready to play in September. 

i already painted up some, have the scheme set, and basecoated a few things to try them out. I’m not sure on the list yet. But I’ll let what’s fun to paint guide me. (Marked is painted) 

7F50BC65-6FCD-47E9-A6AD-920AD158A7BA.jpeg.9037b200d20ff0f58219e3c8792de6ff.jpeg

so I have to get this down to 1,5K plus a side list to be a little bit flexible. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

That's a lot of models! At least you'll have a good variety

Also- which stormhost? I have a moderate Anvils force!

Vindicators feel the most right for me. It’s sons of Mallus themed. They barely have a back story except that they have a tie to the old world and are very aggressive so the rules fit the most. Even though they are a sub faction of anvilguard (from memory). Basically what happened is I wanted to try black armour ;) 

• Like 1

So I’m going to start with what’s already built and primed for June.

Medusa

5x Blood Sisters

5x Khinerai Heartrenders

As you’ll see there’s plenty more in the box...

Ive not decided how to build most of them yet, but the idea was to build towards a Temple Nest plus a bit on the side.

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Tzaangor Shaman
Magister on Disc of Tzeentch
3x Skyfires
3x Enlightened 
10x Kairic Acolytes
10x Kairic Acolytes
10x Tzaangors.

If any of you are in London or can make it down to London, it would be cool to have a game at Bad Moon Cafe with our new armies!

I really like the Arcanite Tzeentch models, got a bare bones 2k army of them already. Enjoy painting all that gold trim though!

I’m up in Scotland so not a million miles away from London, so who knows, there might be a chance of a game or two eventually!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

I really like the Arcanite Tzeentch models, got a bare bones 2k army of them already. Enjoy painting all that gold trim though!

I’m up in Scotland so not a million miles away from London, so who knows, there might be a chance of a game or two eventually!

They're my favourite tzeentch models by far! The only reason I chose them really. Going to try to push the quality on these- nice to not have to paint 100 models for a 2k force, as I've done for FEC, Nurgle and Cities!

3 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

They're my favourite tzeentch models by far! The only reason I chose them really. Going to try to push the quality on these- nice to not have to paint 100 models for a 2k force, as I've done for FEC, Nurgle and Cities!

What sort of scheme are you going for? One of the cults or something left field?

There’s something about really pushing the quality on an elite army that just can’t be matched by hordes. I suppose it’s probably seeing a bit of progress even if you’ve just spent hours on one tiny detail.

32 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

What sort of scheme are you going for? One of the cults or something left field?

There’s something about really pushing the quality on an elite army that just can’t be matched by hordes. I suppose it’s probably seeing a bit of progress even if you’ve just spent hours on one tiny detail.

I have no idea yet! I was thinking I would theme it as the city of Excelsis to copy the events of City of Secrets, so I'll probably look to find some really nice resin bases with medieval style streets on them- something like these secret weapons ones - http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_30_106.

I want all the tzaangor feathers to be super bright though. And maybe try my hand at some freehand tatoos on the Acolytes. 

Agree about elite armies- this'll be the first army I don't speed paint. Other armies I've spent time on heros, but not on big units, so it should be interesting!

Edited by hughwyeth

I am just continuing to work on my mixed Duardin force, get my KO up a little more and then really push the Fyreslayers. I pledge a gunhauler for this month, it's already halfway done, let's see how far I can take it. I will upload the pic in an hour or two, just the Endrin (were halfway through the month after all, and I have to paint a Magmadroth if I don't want to fail my Contract)

Finally got my pic, forgot just a tiny bit:

20200521_150653.jpg.cd74326d5f7b30855508bc960ae1d1f5.jpg

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 2

These all look great! For me I'm interested in finishing up my Beasts of Chaos. I have a ton of 🐐 infantry left including Ungors, Bestigors, and Gors plus some heroes. 

So I'ma start with a Beastlord and 20 Gors for my first month. I'm away from home right now so I'll post some pics on Wednesday.

• Like 3

9F0DB017-E149-4C44-BD3D-12B370E27892.gif.c538f8e55ba6ef2db4257451ce737cca.gif

Then I noticed that out of owning every army, the armies that fit into the sliver of Primed and Not Started (Tzeentch, Daughters, Stormcast, and Beasts) were all chosen.

So FEC. It’s primed white and there’s the first green basecoat, but I did all of that in three days from New in Box (it was meant to be an army in a week, but pregnant wife and in-laws at Thanksgiving doesn’t make for a productive weekend)

A2BCFEA7-49CA-48BB-83E6-D56C1C356AFE.jpeg.e834a604d24a4437857b548c60f5acc1.jpeg

Edited by Fairbanks
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, GorkaMorkaDisciple said:

Hi all! I'd like to join.

My goal is to complete mi orruk warclan army! 2000 pt!

First month:

• 1 orruk magaboss
  • 5 orruk brutes

Love those models! Good Luck and i'll add you to the list.

• Like 1

Oh joy, it's actually happening! Delightful! And wow, people have rocketed forward!

I am definitely in, love the idea and what the hell, been itching for a new project! The problem, of course, is I have NO idea what to do! lol I kinda want to start something fresh, but HOW fresh and in what direction, who knows!

I DO know I want a few guidelines:
I want an elite army that isn't one dimensional. I got Cities, which boy, piles of dudes. I got FEC, which can go elite (and I often do) but BOY is it basic and straightforward. Fine for some games, gets boring fast and has no where near enough variety to change it up. 

I also want to try and paint an army with Contrast. Pure Contrast (besides metallics, I suppose, but maybe I'll even go and NOT HAVE METAL! Gasp!)

I am KINDA always looking for armies that serve dual purposes. Daemons work in 40k and Fantasy, Stormcast make for cool Space marines with a magnetized backpack. Who knows, but a thought, I DO have a not-infinite budget, though luckily a lot of it comes in the form of store credit at my LGS. 

Anyways, I'll make a decision by June 1st, that is sure. Man, I am excited! Either way, best of luck to you all, it is always fun to have projects and hobbies you can share. Love this community.

• Like 3

@flamingwalnut daemons are a great shout for a contrast armour. Very little metal as well.  
maybe even the ascended horde? From wrath of the everchosen. Gives you so much cool stuff to choose from. 

for myself I set myself the list to finish. 
this will be the 2K end goal. Or actually a pool for 1,5 armies. Might add some more if this still fun after three months ;) 

913534FA-B925-4CA5-971B-0ABCC688EA98.png.a5bb4ac30fbbf66b498619145087f30d.png
so no more mini buying during this project. 

@flamingwalnut daemons are a great shout for a contrast armour. Very little metal as well.  
maybe even the ascended horde? From wrath of the everchosen. Gives you so much cool stuff to choose from. 

for myself I set myself the list to finish. 
this will be the 2K end goal. Or actually a pool for 1,5 armies. Might add some more if this still fun after three months ;) 

913534FA-B925-4CA5-971B-0ABCC688EA98.png.a5bb4ac30fbbf66b498619145087f30d.png
so no more mini buying during this project. Which is the real challenge ;)