Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Just now, Kramer said:

@Ggom looking good! How is it to work with? 

regarding the shades. Isn’t that always the case that shades aren’t very saturated because they are basically very diluted paints. So relatively little pigments? 

The oil paint is thick and creamy (insert unintended inuendo) and needs to be thinned down. I bought the water miscible kind so that its easy to clean brushes, but you don’t want to thin it with water. Instead I used Gamsol, which is a replacement for Turpentine and Mineral Spirit. You thin it down to desired consistency - I have been thinning it down to consistency of a shade paint.

And no, my experience is that the oil paint thins into an extremely intense shade. I’ll post a picture the next time I use it, but it is literally the bluest blue I’ve seen. Like, it is raw, undiluted color, no gray. Adding more thinner makes it more transparent, but doesn’t change the hue. Of course, eventually if you keep adding thinner i imagine the hue becomes undetectable...

If you want to experiment you need:

A thinner (mineral spirit, gamsol, etc)

Color of choice (I picked up winsor and newton, there are lots of reviews online for other brands)

Something to hold your paint (I picked up a plastic pallette with some wells, and small dish shape could work)

A brush (not your kolinsky sable brushes, they will get wrecked. I used a cheap synthetic with a flat head)

There’s a guy who uses oil washes to great effect on youtube, you can learn more (search NJM miniature)

6 hours ago, Ggom said:

thick and creamy (insert unintended inuendo

I’ll insert my unintended inuendo. 

7 hours ago, Ggom said:

And no, my experience is that the oil paint thins into an extremely intense shade. I’ll post a picture the next time I use it, but it is literally the bluest blue I’ve seen. Like, it is raw, undiluted color, no gray. Adding more thinner makes it more transparent, but doesn’t change the hue. Of course, eventually if you keep adding thinner i imagine the hue becomes undetectable...

That does sound really good. Maybe I’ll do a small Warcry warband or something to try it out. Thanks! 

On 7/14/2020 at 3:20 AM, Kramer said:

Played some vanguard in TTS yesterday. And sadly even with a bit more numbers they whiffed so hard.

which is a shame because 5 man set up within 7, shot, charged with vindicator bonus, and all together put 3 wounds on 3 endrinriggers 😅

But the mobility of it is so much fun. So I will keep playing them until the my opponent realises he should stop worrying about them ambushing or aan updated battletome. Whichever comes first. 

That's unfortunate as they look so cool and their mobility is such a cool concept but sadly doesn't seem like it quite comes together.

Your conversions are brilliant though. They'll look super cool and dynamic while being underwhelming at least. Hope they get another pass soon for you.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eldarain said:

That's unfortunate as they look so cool and their mobility is such a cool concept but sadly doesn't seem like it quite comes together.

Your conversions are brilliant though. They'll look super cool and dynamic while being underwhelming at least. Hope they get another pass soon for you.

Thanks on both accounts. I think they will shift the internal balance with every book. So it will come again. Just feels they thought: okay they can ambush closer, so they must have less punch’ but overshot it a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Alright. Got these boys done. Will post up my big August project tomorrow.

IMG_20200717_230401~2.jpg

your dwarfs in the meantime look amazing. So crisp and clean. Really digging it. 

I on the other hand decided to stick with this conversion. 

image.jpg.63be8131cde355d08ffa2217b1edf965.jpg

he is now called Gary. And Gary believes he’s reforged from a certain notorious Dark Elf Assassin.... He’s not. 

• Like 1

Getting there with bigbird. I think I need another month to finish, because of all the bits and bobs on him to paint (pouches, legs) but I anticipated as much and was only aiming to get all the main colors filled in for this month. Probably going to take a break from big bird for a week and paint some more battleline now.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Hows everyone going? Feels like last stretch of the month to me 😅

personally, I have my 5 hunters in roughly this stage of completion. Aiming to git’erdun before the weekend so I can get the basing kit out for everything I did so far. Leaving me a few days to do two more birds. on paper doable. 

7D38F50E-9516-4148-826D-DE8B3E14A268.jpeg.44a8ba00fb19b8e435e73fa98f0e0e5c.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/19/2020 at 1:11 AM, Kramer said:

And now to slather on the black 😂

B6969924-2D9F-4672-8A01-37372006D897.jpeg.3acd5c5882c6a184488b430b51cd31b4.jpeg

What have you undercoated them with? Normal white or one of the Contrast specific ones?

I've been tempted to try the Templars over metallics approach for my other army. I've heard it's a nice finish for slightly worn black armor. Have you experimented with that at all?

6 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

What have you undercoated them with? Normal white or one of the Contrast specific ones?

I've been tempted to try the Templars over metallics approach for my other army. I've heard it's a nice finish for slightly worn black armor. Have you experimented with that at all?

It’s the wraithbone contrast spray. I tried it over coral white and it remains quite flat imo. 
I contrast for the black, red, and fur. And it really speeds things up for me. 

i haven’t tried it but I 100% believe it you dilute the black Templar (with the contrast medium, because doesn’t work with anything else so far) that it would work. 
alternatively contrast wipes away real fast. So you could paint it undiluted and just wipe your finger/old brush/cloth along the edges. That would leave you with a darker armour as black Templar becomes a bit grey when it’s not thick on there. 
my models for example need two undiluted layers to become really black

• Thanks 1

How are people’s July’s shaping up? We got 1 week to go! @Kramer how many crossbow stormcast do you have left? @Eldarain hows that elf eizard coming along? And @hughwyeth you working on the enlightened?

Props to @Kamose for that big bundle of bray love.

Yours truly has a tzaangor mutie to finish. Almost there, just all the metals left... ... And starting to work on next month’s challenge, converting a bucketful of Tzeentchian Marauders!

• Like 2

Luckily he's for August ;) I have everything except the LEDs ready. Everything else for the conversion is built and primed.

I got completely sidetracked by a Rank and Flank game: Conquest. I appreciate the reminder though as I'm a horrible procrastinator

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ggom said:

How are people’s July’s shaping up? We got 1 week to go! @Kramer how many crossbow stormcast do you have left? @Eldarain hows that elf eizard coming along? And @hughwyeth you working on the enlightened?

Yours truly has a tzaangor mutie to finish. Almost there, just all the metals left... ... And starting to work on next month’s challenge, converting a bucketful of Tzeentchian Marauders!

Nice man! Metal that bird up! Curious to see how you’ll make the marauders look. 

personally I just don’t like basing. Love the results, like doing it, but the amount of stuff on the dining room table is just a hassle. So I’m doing two months worth of basing. So four hunters, three palladors, three raptors, three aetherwings, a lord castellant on gryph charger. 
And not really for the challenge but because I got the basing gear out: a castigator, a sequitor, Neave blacktalon and 3 ogors. The stormcast I finished for a skirmish campaign but due to time constraints I just flocked the bases and called it there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ggom said:

Haven't had any time to progress on enlightened unfortunately! Hopefully this week I can get a few hours in though. Been great to see others' progress on this thread though!

• Like 2