Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

@Kramer I really like the contrast between Rider and Birb seeing it from above. 

All the basics laid in for the Irondrakes. Just details. Should be done before half way through July.

Then the big conversion project can commence. Super excited.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Eldarain said:

@Kramer I really like the contrast between Rider and Birb seeing it from above. 

All the basics laid in for the Irondrakes. Just details. Should be done before half way through July.

Then the big conversion project can commence. Super excited.

Thanks. 

Excited to see the conversions 😁

Nice progress Kramer! At least one of us has been productive 😁

I’ve always thought that if I were going to do Stormcast it would be the griffen rider dudes. The models are the best in that range imo. They also seem like an elite army, where you can get a game with fewer models. Also, cavalry - I rest my case.

How’s everyone progressing? We are a third of the way there!

1 hour ago, Ggom said:

Nice progress Kramer! At least one of us has been productive 😁

I’ve always thought that if I were going to do Stormcast it would be the griffen rider dudes. The models are the best in that range imo. They also seem like an elite army, where you can get a game with fewer models. Also, cavalry - I rest my case.

How’s everyone progressing? We are a third of the way there!

Thanks. Well productive... 😅 It’s what I was supposed to do last month. But I also started on the vanguard raptors last night. Three contrast layers later and I only have, gold, highlights and basing to do. 

i like the vanguard chamber the best as well. In models and playstyle. I think it’s because the armour is less clunky. I like the non evocators, sacrosanct units as well because of that.  Sadly the stats aren’t amazing but for a lot of my games that just makes it a more fun challenge. I 
And yes, chocobo cavalry.... nothing more to say. 

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

I think the superior (imo too) Vanguard units got some help in the upcoming GHB too :)

Yeah it’s relative though. It’s fun that you can field more. But every army went down in points and they still have two 3+ 4+ no rend 1 damage attacks.

So eleven 3+ 4+ No rend damage 1 attacks for 100 points. And that’s after the points reduction 😅 

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

My decision to try and use blending everywhere really means every unit will take aaaaages.

Very nice. I love the armor panels especially. Also, regarding blending everywhere - all of the blending, all of the time, always. Yes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Ok started on the skyfires.

IMG_20200710_100200.jpg.8795a325a1d4d2378af0adec66e3a5c1.jpg

My decision to try and use blending everywhere really means every unit will take aaaaages.

Worth it though. They look ace. 

in the meantime I (sadly) have to go on weekend away from home, but only need two highlights and a bit of cleanup needed for my raptors. 

422C9E84-E4F2-4473-87CB-B0C4C6FC5A2A.jpeg.76f6deb34c234b1f3eee6df1e133ef78.jpeg

• Like 1

Painting feathers isn’t working out great. I am not sure if I should stick with my current approach, which is not very noticeable from afar, or amp up the contrast and add more white to the strokes. I’m nervous that it will look bad if I highlight the hairs more acutely, although it will be more visible from a distance.

DD5F1032-31E0-4BF6-A5C2-FCEAA04A5F5E.jpeg.cb646ced83a2a00428bebbd69a2a8f8b.jpeg

Looking at the photo, I am starting to think I should add more white to the lines.

8 hours ago, Ggom said:

Painting feathers isn’t working out great. I am not sure if I should stick with my current approach, which is not very noticeable from afar, or amp up the contrast and add more white to the strokes. I’m nervous that it will look bad if I highlight the hairs more acutely, although it will be more visible from a distance.

DD5F1032-31E0-4BF6-A5C2-FCEAA04A5F5E.jpeg.cb646ced83a2a00428bebbd69a2a8f8b.jpeg

Looking at the photo, I am starting to think I should add more white to the lines.

Have you seen the Louise Sugden Mindstealer version? In this insta post she describes her techniques.  I bet if you apply her feathering and highlights you will get the extra definition you look for. 

The transitions and color choices are already so, so good. This might help it pop slightly more. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81niG5HYJ9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Have you seen the Louise Sugden Mindstealer version? In this insta post she describes her techniques.  I bet if you apply her feathering and highlights you will get the extra definition you look for. 

The transitions and color choices are already so, so good. This might help it pop slightly more. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81niG5HYJ9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Interesting. I think she started with more saturated colors and has white mixed in for the highlights. I started adding white to the feathers last night but it’s starting to look really, really dull. I need to add some intensity to the colors. 
D73F2D03-C4E0-40E0-A76B-9B24054E6AE7.jpeg.a4b213518dc15247d45701edfa2563e0.jpeg

This seems like a cool chance to try some oils. Off to the art store today! Going to see if I can blend in some strong yellow and blue to strengthen the colors.

Ok, oils are amazing. The colors are super bright. I should have tried these sooner. Blending is waaaaaay easier since they stay moist on the model. It seems to be any easy way to amp up the saturation. Ill post pictures later.

One thing Im not sure of is going over them with acrylics later. Supposedly the oils will shrink as they slowly cure, so traditional painters always add oils on top of, but not below, less fatty paints (acrylics for my purposes) to avoid cracking. I can see this being tricky since I’m not conifident about doing highlights on oil yet. Probably need to get a zinc white oil paint and try it out, I only picked up a blue, yellow and magenta this time.

• Like 2

@Ggom super exited about those pictures. Been looking at oils for awhile now.

For me, i only need a clean up round, the birdie and then I’m calling them ready for basing. 
654F968D-2AD9-4C4A-9EF1-5D501DA3A917.jpeg.4326ca49e7c595f55eed4c181ca37b73.jpeg

About half the month left for 5 hunter conversions. Might actually make it this month. And yes, I know I jinxed it with this last remark. 

how’s everybody doing? 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

I had not a good start last week. I was simply to busy with my other job, the one people actually seem to be willing to pay for. So until this weekend I didn't find time to do anything, not even post a picture of the built and primed. This weekend I finally found some time though.

Chalange-July.jpg.ac0e4279a1fc6fc2ca2fcf4c5e254930.jpg

And finished my first 48 points:

349763281_Grimghast1-3.jpg.0ed079ba4bfc41f4c2cfd9c69a259524.jpg

Needless to say that with this tempo I won't make it in three months. However, I knew this would be a very busy month, so if I can finish the approx. 300pt planned, I think I am still fine. In august I will have much more time as I am on leave, and due to COVID no plans to go anywhere far, should be good to make up for the slow progress in July.

By the way, already noticed the positive effect of this challenge. I am a bit of a hopeless perfectionist when it comes o painting mini's, which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for me to lack the skills to get anywhere near to perfection :D No way that I could do i.e. the great free hands I see from others, or even a good edge highlight. In the end I can accept my limitations, and am generally happy with the result, but not without spilling a lot of time first trying to do better.

Now with this commitment I made, I found I actually can overcome this more easily, and just move forward with the next.  This is definitely gonna help me finally finishing this army. So thanks!

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 4

On 7/10/2020 at 7:50 AM, Eldarain said:

I think the superior (imo too) Vanguard units got some help in the upcoming GHB too :)

Played some vanguard in TTS yesterday. And sadly even with a bit more numbers they whiffed so hard.

which is a shame because 5 man set up within 7, shot, charged with vindicator bonus, and all together put 3 wounds on 3 endrinriggers 😅

But the mobility of it is so much fun. So I will keep playing them until the my opponent realises he should stop worrying about them ambushing or aan updated battletome. Whichever comes first. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:39 PM, Ggom said:

Ok, oils are amazing. The colors are super bright. I should have tried these sooner. Blending is waaaaaay easier since they stay moist on the model. It seems to be any easy way to amp up the saturation. Ill post pictures later.

One thing Im not sure of is going over them with acrylics later. Supposedly the oils will shrink as they slowly cure, so traditional painters always add oils on top of, but not below, less fatty paints (acrylics for my purposes) to avoid cracking. I can see this being tricky since I’m not conifident about doing highlights on oil yet. Probably need to get a zinc white oil paint and try it out, I only picked up a blue, yellow and magenta this time.

Looking forward to see the results!!

I recently start following some tutorials at  Grimdark compendium (https://grimdarkcompendium.com/) and the guy uses a lot of oils and enamels too. He does this  to achieve a real grimdak effect (as the name suggests), so quiet the opposite from the bright and vivid colors you are looking for, but still the use of oils and enamels were a real revelation to me. Never really considered using them before, and although I still need a lot of practise how to use them, it is definitely became a great new tool in my toolbox now.

As you say blending works out great due to the slow drying times, and another aspect I like about them is that you can re activate them with white sprit, which gives you the option remove some excessive pigments with a cue tip (without removing the paint), having the base coat shining through. Works a bit like a reverse highlighting.  

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 1

What do you think? I’m struggling with the champion.
Just dry fitting my hunter conversions. 
just simple reposing things. But the first three I built are kind of exploring the jungle. And the bases will be built op to interact with the models a bit. 
45D83193-2509-44A6-AE8A-D4CBD297FB56.jpeg.e3545eaed15da74209f089959fa26234.jpeg

first one is looking in the compass, kneeling in the undergrowth. with his axe lodged in a nearby log to free his hand. 

1670971B-1F6E-4DF5-AD13-88BBEE824EF8.jpeg.9a1f2ee2d7ea72f7eaebdb356f5e9017.jpeg

the second one is pushing his way through the undergrowth. Needs a right hand from the pallador kid. But I don’t wanna wake the baby by rummaging in the attic 😅

20FCCBBD-01D1-4501-A5AE-D7D5A1BA393F.jpeg.46610579ffeb3b09a4d7f5e3aff6c9d6.jpeg
third one is already falling apart, but he was leaning against a tree looking around that corner. Tree will be replaced though. 

but then the champion. These are all just Exploring not being detected yet. But the only thing I can think off without really cutting up his legs is this...

3C691EF8-34A6-40F3-90E2-4B17C601C46B.jpeg.d610acbd12384adcb4c7ca9c549ef915.jpeg

impersonating an Elf assassin. Crossbow arm will need to repositioned as if he is rotating to strike. 

i think I can make it work... but would it break with the others to much? 
or any suggestion of other exploring poses? 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

What do you think? I’m struggling with the champion.
Just dry fitting my hunter conversions. 
just simple reposing things. But the first three I built are kind of exploring the jungle. And the bases will be built op to interact with the models a bit. 
45D83193-2509-44A6-AE8A-D4CBD297FB56.jpeg.e3545eaed15da74209f089959fa26234.jpeg

first one is looking in the compass, kneeling in the undergrowth. with his axe lodged in a nearby log to free his hand. 

1670971B-1F6E-4DF5-AD13-88BBEE824EF8.jpeg.9a1f2ee2d7ea72f7eaebdb356f5e9017.jpeg

the second one is pushing his way through the undergrowth. Needs a right hand from the pallador kid. But I don’t wanna wake the baby by rummaging in the attic 😅

20FCCBBD-01D1-4501-A5AE-D7D5A1BA393F.jpeg.46610579ffeb3b09a4d7f5e3aff6c9d6.jpeg
third one is already falling apart, but he was leaning against a tree looking around that corner. Tree will be replaced though. 

but then the champion. These are all just Exploring not being detected yet. But the only thing I can think off without really cutting up his legs is this...

3C691EF8-34A6-40F3-90E2-4B17C601C46B.jpeg.d610acbd12384adcb4c7ca9c549ef915.jpeg

impersonating an Elf assassin. Crossbow arm will need to repositioned as if he is rotating to strike. 

i think I can make it work... but would it break with the others to much? 
or any suggestion of other exploring poses? 

I love these poses! Nothing to add really!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thanks, any opinion on one battle pose in a unit of sneaky stormcast? 😁

I think he looks great. I also like that he has a nice head sculpt.

Re: Big bird and oils, here’s a look. I don’t know if this is obvious in the photos, but the post oil situation has much more intense colors.

BEFORE

:9400C033-28C0-4FA6-9A2D-71B69E10CF4F.jpeg.333bdd1bf99ed26f27e5fdaaabc9f149.jpeg

AFTER:

74B0DFCB-3570-4DE2-953F-1138E4C6818B.jpeg.c5172f7b0b47afed32d560ea8151fe04.jpeg

it’s more obvious with the blue - my bad photography and the lighting situation don’t really capture the yellow very well and make it look kind of washed out. I glazed lemon yellow and french ultramarine here. I’m mostly using it as a glaze now, at the end to enhance the colors. The advantage over acrylic washes comes from ease of cleanup, and the fact that most miniature washes seem to be desaturated. (I’ll caveat that I only have some washes from GW and Secret Weapon Miniatures; but for instance, Drakenhoff nightshade and Reikland flesh just aren’t very intense of colors)

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1