Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Okay, weather held today so I primed the last Vanguard raptor and made the goal for October. Already I notice I have more time to paint. So November is going to be my home stretch before the baby comes in december. 

Left to paint: Lord Aquilor, Lord arcanum, 2 vanguard raptors, and either 3 Palladors/3 Vanguard Raptors + birds. 
Then on to base the above + decimators, Aetherwings and a Lord relictor.

And as finishing move taking a picture of the whole gang as @Eldarain suggested.

If I make that I will have painted 1820 pts in this tale of warlords. 
Lord Arcanum on gryph charger, 
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline
Lord Aquilor
Knight Relictor
5 Decimators
5 Hunters
6 Vanguard Raptors
3 Vanguard Palladors
6 Aether wings 
1 Celestar Ballista
+ a box of palladors or Raptors.

And more impressively to me than all that building, converting, painting and basing I only bought one mini for this army. Now granted that's one more than I promised myself, and I got gifted one more. But that's still pretty good. Only needed a global pandemic to limit my spending. But I might get one or two Knight Azyroses soon because then I could field the vanguard mega battalion 😍

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Okay, weather held today so I primed the last Vanguard raptor and made the goal for October. Already I notice I have more time to paint. So November is going to be my home stretch before the baby comes in december. 

Left to paint: Lord Aquilor, Lord arcanum, 2 vanguard raptors, and either 3 Palladors/3 Vanguard Raptors + birds. 
The on to base the above + decimators, Aetherwings and a Lord relictor.

If I make that I will have painted 1820 pts in this tale of warlords. 
Lord Arcanum on gryph charger, 
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline
Lord Aquilor
Knight Relictor
5 Decimators
5 Hunters
6 Vanguard Raptors
3 Vanguard Palladors
6 Aether wings 
1 Celestar Ballista
+ a box of palladors or Raptors.

And more impressively to me than all that building, converting, painting and basing I only bought one mini for this army. Now granted that's one more than I promised myself, and I got gifted one more. But that's still pretty good. Only needed a global pandemic to limit my spending. But I might get one or two Knight Azyroses soon because then I could field the vanguard mega battalion 😍

Seriously impressive!!

• Thanks 1

That's awesome Kramer. I too have really limited my model purchases. I think I've only bought Fabius and Eltharion Since Jan.

I've painted more since my local challenge began than I had in several years before. One thing we do is break it up into 6 month segments and post up photos at the end of everything we got done.

It's nice to see all the minis the challenge has inspired to get finished. Bit of a victory lap for everybody.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

That's awesome Kramer. I too have really limited my model purchases. I think I've only bought Fabius and Eltharion Since Jan.

I love that fabius model as well. It was one of those... 'Maybe a small 40K warband... ' But I held strong. Now to find a nice thing to convert him into in time. 

How big is the model? Maybe a small Slaanesh Daemon prince? It has that sleek look to it. 

I've painted more since my local challenge began than I had in several years before. One thing we do is break it up into 6 month segments and post up photos at the end of everything we got done.

It's nice to see all the minis the challenge has inspired to get finished. Bit of a victory lap for everybody.

Yeah, great idea. I'll add that to the goal of the month. Taking a group shot. 💪

Would love to see everybody's progress so far! There has been some incredible painting done. 

Edited by Kramer

So, checking the photos again, in October I

- painted Eltharion, finished 11 Sentinels (painting 11 and finishing the other 3, which I had started) and painted the Hyshian Twinstones

- assembled and primed Teclis, 14 Sentinels and one Endless Spell. Primed a Cathallar. 

This is how it looked today just before priming the models. 

All finished models so far: 

DFE0C49C-3360-47BF-A002-982B5B1E7B27.jpeg

Assembled October units just before priming (which I have done now): 

EFE1908B-3F14-4257-AABF-BE59698064DB.jpeg

My plan/pledge for November is painting Teclis. And if that goes smoothly, the Cathaller and more Sentinels. But I’d be happy with just Teclis. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

On 5/18/2020 at 6:59 AM, Kramer said:

Hi all, 

as discussed in the Lockdown thread several of us would like to try an online 'Tale of X gamers'. For those who don't know, it's a great way to get your army painted. Every month you paint a few additions, and normally a game would finish the month with a bang. Now we can't do the last part, but we sure can do the first. 

So every month you add either:

- A Group of 5+ models (Can be one unit, multiple, unit and a hero, etc)
- A Behemoth or other 60mm+ model
- A 25mm - 40mm Character

Please make a post each month with a photo of the primed or single basecoated miniatures you are pledging with a sheet of paper with your name and the date clearly visible. Then before the end of the month post a picture of the completed miniatures. 

For the first month let us know in how many months you want to finish your army and maybe even an army list! 

The first month starts 1st of June, so everybody gets a two week head start. 

The goal is to get an army done, so tweak and bend the rules to what you need. For example, I'm aiming for 400pts a month so I can get my Stormcast up to 2K in 4 months time. In time for some games in September :)  

The theme for the first month (not obligatory):

A hero and a battleline unit

Joining in so far: @Sttufe @Maxi99, @Kamose, @flamingwalnut, @hughwyeth, @Eldarain, @Kramer, @GorkaMorkaDisciple, @Kalebkhaine, @Mutant Modifier, @Lowki, @Ggom, @LuminethMage@Lightbox

Oh man! This is such a great idea, going to enjoy looking through and seeing everyone's progress! 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

- painted Eltharion, finished 11 Sentinels (painting 11 and finishing the other 3, which I had started) and painted the Hyshian Twinstones

- assembled and primed Teclis, 14 Sentinels and one Endless Spell. Primed a Cathallar. 

My plan/pledge for November is painting Teclis. And if that goes smoothly, the Cathaller and more Sentinels. But I’d be happy with just Teclis. 

Looking forward to seeing the progress on Teclis! I'm impressed with your Oct haul

Edited by Sinarai
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Damn son, you are going the speed of light. (See what I did there 😏

really impressive when you see it all together. Have they seen the table for a small game already? 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Damn son, you are going the speed of light. (See what I did there 😏

really impressive when you see it all together. Have they seen the table for a small game already? 

Thank you, staying in character! : ). It has really been a surprise for me how much I enjoy to do this again.

Sadly I haven't managed to get a game in yet. If all goes well I can play at least one game in November (but we also planned that in October). I hope we can actually do it this time. My friend has been pretty prescient. He has been preparing a combined DE/Stormcast vanguard from Anvilgard. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 12:17 AM, Eldarain said:

If I ever bought some I thought I'd do them as Snow Leopards. Bright but neutral for complementing a scheme and the markings would look great yet aren't overly complex to execute.

14_wild_cat_2_tif_.jpg

Its not there yet but this will work eventually. Thanks for the suggestion! 
image.jpg.5f0212c4b6bf1ca1df7b2f6ecae9ef41.jpg

also just for the likes ;) 

62A70035-C326-4A6F-AA4F-7F627DFF41B2.png.75b50be56eb7e20c38a2c5e0010f422d.png

my two year old painted a tabberd for the final vanguard raptor  

• Like 3

On 5/18/2020 at 6:59 AM, Kramer said:

Hi all, 

as discussed in the Lockdown thread several of us would like to try an online 'Tale of X gamers'. For those who don't know, it's a great way to get your army painted. Every month you paint a few additions, and normally a game would finish the month with a bang. Now we can't do the last part, but we sure can do the first. 

So every month you add either:

- A Group of 5+ models (Can be one unit, multiple, unit and a hero, etc)
- A Behemoth or other 60mm+ model
- A 25mm - 40mm Character

Please make a post each month with a photo of the primed or single basecoated miniatures you are pledging with a sheet of paper with your name and the date clearly visible. Then before the end of the month post a picture of the completed miniatures. 

For the first month let us know in how many months you want to finish your army and maybe even an army list! 

The first month starts 1st of June, so everybody gets a two week head start. 

The goal is to get an army done, so tweak and bend the rules to what you need. For example, I'm aiming for 400pts a month so I can get my Stormcast up to 2K in 4 months time. In time for some games in September :)  

The theme for the first month (not obligatory):

A hero and a battleline unit

Joining in so far: @Sttufe @Maxi99, @Kamose, @flamingwalnut, @hughwyeth, @Eldarain, @Kramer, @GorkaMorkaDisciple, @Kalebkhaine, @Mutant Modifier, @Lowki, @Ggom, @LuminethMage@Lightbox

Hey everyone! 

So, I meant to post this yesterday but was overly conflicted. I in general don't like to put a time frame on my painting, part of that is due to me having multiple projects and constantly jumping from one to the next before finishing (though eventually coming back and finishing them up). I also tend to do a bit of writing as part of my painting process, homebrew lore is just apart of the hobby to me. The problem with this is that it takes me awhile to finish a single project, so hoping to change that a little. 

I am going to tweak the rules for myself a little bit, this is to accommodate my slightly slower painting and so I don't feel the need to rush.

For November I will be focusing on Haset, my (nearly finished) Spirit of the Mountain & her General, the first of the Hathorians. However, for Haset herself and her being such a unique model/kitbash I am going to give myself 2 months (so Jan 1st) to complete her. If her general is easier than I think then it is likely I will also work to finish my unit of Stoneguard, if not they will carry over as my December unit.

Here is to actually focusing on a particular set of models 🙂

20201101_121911.jpg

20201102_064638.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 10/31/2020 at 8:58 PM, Eldarain said:

That will look great. Thank you for the proof of concept! Cudos on the hobby goal of creating an in house paint team ;)

Still needs a better lit picture. But your suggestion was ‘spot’ on! 
im gonna try a slightly darker variation and stick them both on the arcanum base to see if the contrast isn’t to big. But super happy with it. 
3153A5F1-0FF2-474B-90C0-9C9A0B0E60A9.jpeg.101c2ddc5a95f9f6cf32bbeb80417382.jpeg
17FE9D66-F081-4420-BCC4-F6F36A0352A9.jpeg.86fcde8877990992a3d208df6f954be6.jpeg

CFD72B55-834C-47D3-A65D-9F7453DD9EED.jpeg.a54bec07a10436c47ab1efc5ae6174cf.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

21 minutes ago, Sinarai said:

Hey everyone! 

So, I meant to post this yesterday but was overly conflicted. I in general don't like to put a time frame on my painting, part of that is due to me having multiple projects and constantly jumping from one to the next before finishing (though eventually coming back and finishing them up). I also tend to do a bit of writing as part of my painting process, homebrew lore is just apart of the hobby to me. The problem with this is that it takes me awhile to finish a single project, so hoping to change that a little. 

I am going to tweak the rules for myself a little bit, this is to accommodate my slightly slower painting and so I don't feel the need to rush.

For November I will be focusing on Haset, my (nearly finished) Spirit of the Mountain & her General, the first of the Hathorians. However, for Haset herself and her being such a unique model/kitbash I am going to give myself 2 months (so Jan 1st) to complete her. If her general is easier than I think then it is likely I will also work to finish my unit of Stoneguard, if not they will carry over as my December unit.

Here is to actually focusing on a particular set of models 🙂

20201101_121911.jpg

20201102_064638.jpg

Okay first off. I think that is why were all here. Just some support to finish one thing instead of butterflying 😅

you do you, and make it work for you.

second, dang those conversions are amazing. Love the use of the keeper. 😍

And lastly super nice paint scheme. The variations in the metal look so beautiful but natural at the same time.  Well worth taking a bit more time for. 

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Still needs a better lit picture. But your suggestion was ‘spot’ on! 
im gonna try a slightly darker variation and stick them both on the arcanum base to see if the contrast isn’t to big. But super happy with it. 
3153A5F1-0FF2-474B-90C0-9C9A0B0E60A9.jpeg.101c2ddc5a95f9f6cf32bbeb80417382.jpeg
17FE9D66-F081-4420-BCC4-F6F36A0352A9.jpeg.86fcde8877990992a3d208df6f954be6.jpeg

CFD72B55-834C-47D3-A65D-9F7453DD9EED.jpeg.a54bec07a10436c47ab1efc5ae6174cf.jpeg

I really love those markings! I have always struggled with markings, finally feel I'm getting the hang of them on my dawnriders.

Also, the feathers look gorgeous,  well done all around

• Thanks 1

@Kramer As well you should be. It's going to look amazing. Will be interesting to see the results as I feel a darker version might increase contrast within the figure but detract from it when combined with the rider. Either way you'll have a couple great looking beaked doggos!

Welcome @Sinarai. Very cool and inspired conversion work there. If this challenge inspires people to even get a single extra figure done per month it's a great success. 

• Like 2

@Kramer As well you should be. It's going to look amazing. Will be interesting to see the results as I feel a darker version might increase contrast within the figure but detract from it when combined with the rider. Either way you'll have a couple great looking beaked doggos!

Yeah exactly what i'm debating. but I just couldn't envision it. And enjoyed painting the pup so much it isn't a punishment to do another one ;) 

• Like 1