Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Okay, say it like you see it please. 
I’m trying to make one of my decimators look like he’s shoulder charging into the enemy. Which version works better for you? 

D524DECE-1DE9-4A46-A2A1-1150AE8A167E.jpeg.301a80835a925a69d35b53eff0641616.jpeg
6B06C8E8-1E31-439B-9989-52AFD3F3199E.jpeg.013cffa5a920e7a02cf4ec05403f77d7.jpeg

just some side notes about the conversion. I’m going for brutal and more dynamic than the standard ones. 
I’m using the back end of the spears to make the axes look longer and deadlier. or just taking the spears and replacing the blade for the axe. Also adding shoulder spikes (see the GW lord relictor) and little fetishes. For this one I might need to cut up the legs a bit to get a bit more movement. 

what do you think. One hand on the axe or both? Do I need to angle things differently? Or is the base model just to static? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

I’m trying to make one of my decimators look like he’s shoulder charging into the enemy. Which version works better for you? 

just some side notes about the conversion. I’m going for brutal and more dynamic than the standard ones. 
I’m using the back end of the spears to make the axes look longer and deadlier. or just taking the spears and replacing the blade for the axe. Also adding shoulder spikes (see the GW lord relictor) and little fetishes. For this one I might need to cut up the legs a bit to get a bit more movement. 

what do you think. One hand on the axe or both? Do I need to angle things differently? Or is the base model just to static? 

Can you do one of each??

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

I like the first one, but think you can position the legs more so he has some more lateral momentum. I think the 2 handed pose coneys the feel of impact/bracing better, whereas the one handed pose looks more like flexing 😄

I am struggling sith my chaos marauder scheme. It feels off but I am not sure what to do about it. A WIP

D972FFEF-9E2F-4EAF-9120-25A2EBA7DA65.jpeg.62fdc6aba877b383d8005702533c6082.jpeg

I think it needss more definition? Maybe edge hilighting and more saturation on some spots. It’s been annoying me for the last few days because I don’t have a vision for this unit yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ggom said:

I am struggling sith my chaos marauder scheme. It feels off but I am not sure what to do about it. A WIP

I think it needss more definition? Maybe edge hilighting and more saturation on some spots. It’s been annoying me for the last few days because I don’t have a vision for this unit yet.

I think the (viewers) left one works really well. Might be because it has a bit of a spot color in the green. They might become a bit of a blur in a bigger unit.

so my, very lacking in knowledge, gut feeling says that if you can add a bit more definition and a spot color here and there you won’t have the raise the saturation. 

all that said I do really think they look dope. Such a different and eye catching look  

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

I think the (viewers) left one works really well. Might be because it has a bit of a spot color in the green. They might become a bit of a blur in a bigger unit.

so my, very lacking in knowledge, gut feeling says that if you can add a bit more definition and a spot color here and there you won’t have the raise the saturation. 

all that said I do really think they look dope. Such a different and eye catching look  

I think that makes sense. Might give it a go today!

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

I like both of them, but if I had to choose, I would choose the 2nd.  Guess the shoulder charge feels more natural with a single handed weapon. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ggom said:

I would e over the moon with a result like this, they look so unique and  love the muted tones on the cloths in particular.

If anything, maybe what Kramer says, it can use one, could be small, item that pops out in colour, like the shield. Maybe not even need to be all models.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I hope it's still not too late to join this. Just saw this thread. I think it's great, and it fits perfectly with me building my Lumineth army up to 2,000 points, after a very long hiatus from the hobby. The army uses the Ziatrec colour scheme, which is my favorite Lumineth sub-factions (lore and mechanics).

The first step is building a 1,000 points force. I have bought 3 Lumineth boxes, a Mistweaver (to use as a Cathaller) and the Endless Spells from Malign Sorcery. This will bring my to around 1,000 points. 

3 x 10 Wardens

1 x  5 Dawnriders 

Eltharion 

Scinari Cathallar (Mistweaver)

2 Endless Spells

That's my first goal. I've primed 30 Wardens, Eltharion, 10 Dawnriders, and the Endless Spells. The Mistweaver is still being shipped from the UK. 12 Wardens are in various stages of being pained. None of them is finished as I'm still waiting on some paints and things for basing. I hope to finish most of the 30 Wardens in August, early September. The Mistweaver will be my first attempt at a conversion, so that might go horrible wrong.

After the rest of the range is released in September I want to bring the army to 2,000 points by adding Teclis, a Scinari Cathallar model (or 2 if I messed up the Mistweaver conversion), 30 Sentinels (archers), and the Lumineth Endless Spells. That's probably enough for at least the rest of this year. 

After that I want to add the Mountain Faction with Avalenor, probably 2 Stonemages, Sprit of the Mountain and 15 Stoneguard. But it could also be that I have to add other units (more Wardens or Sentinenls etc.)  in case my first list doesn't work out. 

I'm lucky that the Lumineth models are really beautiful, even with my meager and rusty painting skills they still look pretty awesome. I really enjoy painting them, although it's a very slow process. 

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

46 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Welcome to the thread @LuminethMage

They really are a beautiful range. I'm still lying to myself that I'm just doing Teclis and Eltharion for fun and old times sake (first army was HE) 

Thank you : ) . Going through the thread I thought your name would fit with HE : ). Eltharion is a really great model. Also the details GW now puts into these models is awesome. Little things I just notice during painting. I keep Eltharion and Teclis until last - hopefully my skills have improved until then to do them some justice. 

I started HE in 4th and just sticked with them. I'm lucky that I really like what they did with them in AoS. Hope you give in to getting the whole range at some point : )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I hope it's still not too late to join this. Just saw this thread. I think it's great, and it fits perfectly with me building my Lumineth army up to 2,000 points, after a very long hiatus from the hobby. The army uses the Ziatrec colour scheme, which is my favorite Lumineth sub-factions (lore and mechanics).

The first step is building a 1,000 points force. I have bought 3 Lumineth boxes, a Mistweaver (to use as a Cathaller) and the Endless Spells from Malign Sorcery. This will bring my to around 1,000 points. 

3 x 10 Wardens

1 x  5 Dawnriders 

Eltharion 

Scinari Cathallar (Mistweaver)

2 Endless Spells

That's my first goal. I've primed 30 Wardens, Eltharion, 10 Dawnriders, and the Endless Spells. The Mistweaver is still being shipped from the UK. 12 Wardens are in various stages of being pained. None of them is finished as I'm still waiting on some paints and things for basing. I hope to finish most of the 30 Wardens in August, early September. The Mistweaver will be my first attempt at a conversion, so that might go horrible wrong.

After the rest of the range is released in September I want to bring the army to 2,000 points by adding Teclis, a Scinari Cathallar model (or 2 if I messed up the Mistweaver conversion), 30 Sentinels (archers), and the Lumineth Endless Spells. That's probably enough for at least the rest of this year. 

After that I want to add the Mountain Faction with Avalenor, probably 2 Stonemages, Sprit of the Mountain and 15 Stoneguard. But it could also be that I have to add other units (more Wardens or Sentinenls etc.)  in case my first list doesn't work out. 

I'm lucky that the Lumineth models are really beautiful, even with my meager and rusty painting skills they still look pretty awesome. I really enjoy painting them, although it's a very slow process. 

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

Of course you can! They look great, wish that was my level of rustiness when I picked up the brush after 15 years 😂
That's a great idea on the Mistweaver btw. Good luck with the paint list! 500pts a month is a great challenge but by doing so you will be at 2k in december! 

Any. plans for the basing?

• Like 1

@Kramer Great, thank you, I saw your stuff, way beyond my skills. But all the instructions you can now find on the internet are really helpful, and the models as such of course. I’m really happy with them so far.

About the basing - the Zaitrec Lumineth are all about the moon spirit Celennar. So, going with a moon theme, I planned on painting the Aetherquartz on their helmets in a bluish tone (which I’m doing ), giving their blades a blue-white glow (paint them like power swords, meaning they will have Lunarmetal blades instead of Sunmetal), and make blue Aetherquartz crystals out of spruces for the bases. 

Then, I started with actually painting ... and realized that it probably would take me 2 weeks to finish one single model if I really would do all that. So instead, I bought some blue crystals and colour shift paint for the blades, and hope that will work out. They are still on their way. Besides having blue crystals on the base, I’ll pretty much go with the scheme GW uses for the models that they showcase (Hyshian grassland). As soon as I have those, I’ll finish one model to see if it all come together or not. 

The Mistweaver, was not my idea, I saw some people doing that. I hope I won’t destroy the model 😅 . 

13 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

@Kramer Great, thank you, I saw your stuff, way beyond my skills. But all the instructions you can now find on the internet are really helpful, and the models as such of course. I’m really happy with them so far.

About the basing - the Zaitrec Lumineth are all about the moon spirit Celennar. So, going with a moon theme, I planned on painting the Aetherquartz on their helmets in a bluish tone (which I’m doing ), giving their blades a blue-white glow (paint them like power swords, meaning they will have Lunarmetal blades instead of Sunmetal), and make blue Aetherquartz crystals out of spruces for the bases. 

Then, I started with actually painting ... and realized that it probably would take me 2 weeks to finish one single model if I really would do all that. So instead, I bought some blue crystals and colour shift paint for the blades, and hope that will work out. They are still on their way. Besides having blue crystals on the base, I’ll pretty much go with the scheme GW uses for the models that they showcase (Hyshian grassland). As soon as I have those, I’ll finish one model to see if it all come together or not. 

The Mistweaver, was not my idea, I saw some people doing that. I hope I won’t destroy the model 😅 . 

You're right, so many good tutorials online now. Was a lot different when I started the hobby. I've been helping Oscar Lars, a proffesional painter, with his tutorials for a while now. And that really helped me. Especially his Ogor skin tutorial. The basics in how, and where, he builds up layers translates to most things. Or maybe the robe in the Stormcast tutorial is more applicable to the Lumineth. 

Oh I like the moon theme! I overshoot concepts all the time, but that's how the coolest things happen. I think the blue crystals and epecially color shift paints will look really cool. Excited to see how that pans out. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I have heard that color shift paints are really meant for airbrush - get a black gloss undercoat and then airbrush thin layers of the color shift.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ggom said:

I have heard that color shift paints are really meant for airbrush - get a black gloss undercoat and then airbrush thin layers of the color shift.

Thank you! I watched a few tutorials about those paints, and you are right, it looks like they are better using an airbrush. I don't have one, so I'll try it with a normal brush with as thin layers as I can get.

I'll post the outcome here once I tried it out on a model. I've already prepared one model with a black undercoat. If it doesn't look good, I'll see what happens if I use lighter colour undercoats, maybe at least I can get some kind of interesting effect with a grey or blue undercoat. And if that doesn't work out, then well, I have to devote some more time into actually painting them the hard way 😅 

This Teclis project is a real rollercoaster. Really happy with how the Illuminator himself is coming together.

It's funny how my grandious conversion ideas seem so straightforward in my head but then always turn into an amusing battle to wrench it into reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

This Teclis project is a real rollercoaster. Really happy with how the Illuminator himself is coming together.

It's funny how my grandious conversion ideas seem so straightforward in my head but then always turn into an amusing battle to wrench it into reality.

I feel this pain often. 

• Like 1