Legion of Azgorh Alternative Miniatures

MaatithoftheBrand

Hi there guys,

So a friend of mine and I were trying to look into the feasibility of a project - namely a Chaos Duardin army that can also be used as a force of duergar (Deep Dwarves) for D&D. Now, at least in 5e, the duergar share a lot of design elements and feel with the Infernal Guard units from the Legion of Azgorh (heavy shoulder pads, layered armour, smooth and faceless helmets, firelances, etc), however the LoA models cost a fortune and make the project difficult to justify as it stands.

Are there any companies doing dwarves in a LoA style that might be able to bulk out some FW purchases/as straight alternatives? 

Thanks in advance!

While staying within GW, I also reckon you could do a good job with regular dwarves with some head or armswaps. For example, Irondrakes with chaos warrior heads would look quite reasonable I think, especially if you attached some axe-blades to their gun or something. 

I'm sure there is a better way to do that as well if you are at all creative. I don't think it would be that hard. You could also use some admech bits for that more engineered feel.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:20 AM, MaatithoftheBrand said:

Some cool models there, but a touch "classic big hat" to fit in with the FW Infernal Guard/Duergar aesthetic I think (I like their goblins though)

The RA characters can be a little bit dorky IMO, but the scale mail of the Harquebus troops meshes surprisingly well with the FW Ironsworn guys.

Dwarves from GW have grown to the height of a regular person from other companies but bulkier (24-26 mm eye height), I'm not sure about LoA, but I can't use GW's current Kharadron or Gotrek as dwarves and make it look good.

They have purposefully sized themselves out of compatibility with 28mm size, but it works both ways.

You could check LotR, they have a rather nice Grimhammerer set. A set that would also be more compatible with old metal dwarves, at least in size.